Should I squeeze in Tracy Arm cruise in Juneau

oceanflower

I'm taking a Princess one-way cruise from Vancouver to Whittier at the end of the month. I'll have one day in Juneau, and am interested in Advanture Bond's Tracy Arm cruise. But there's only 15min connecting time and I feel it's really risky (had another post earlier about this). Now considering my cruise includes Glacier Bay NP, and I'll take another small boat cruise in Kenai Fjord NP, is it still worth to squeeze in Tracy Arm on my day in Juneau?

Only you can decide. All these areas are COMPLETELY different. The vendor has given you booking advice.

I don't know why oceanflower started another thread when you and others already answered on the other thread the question. I agree they have to decide but they should consider that if they miss the connect it is not only a matter of getting a refund, what are they going to do with their day? They will need a backup plan. From past experience with tour operators I would either have a backup plan I could live with, or leave the Adventure Bound tour for another time, and plan something else this sailing. As you say though bottom line is that only oceanflower can decide.

Thanks guys. The reason I'm starting a new thread is my last thread was hijacked and I'm not interested in reading people arguing about what their favorites are. I was hoping to hear from someone who made the same connection. Now after assessing the risk factor, I'm asking "whether it's necessary to take 3 cruises in one trip", did I offend you by doing so? I guess you just don't need to post anything unrelated to the question.

Thanks guys. The reason I'm starting a new thread is my last thread was hijacked and I'm not interested in reading people arguing about what their favorites are. I was hoping to hear from someone who made the same connection. Now after assessing the risk factor, I'm asking "whether it's necessary to take 3 cruises in one trip", did I offend you by doing so? I guess you just don't need to post anything unrelated to the question.

I see you are new to the forums. They can be very valuable. Yes, they get off topic sometimes, but that is simply the nature of forums. Rather than start a new thread with the same question, it would be better to respond in your original thread, reiterating what exactly you are still looking for in terms of responses. If no one answered your question, then ask it again within the same thread. However, I was following your thread and I believe your question was answered. You wanted first hand information and that is difficult because the Adventure Bound tour is mostly taken by locals, not cruisers. We were the only couple from our cruiseship and their was one couple from a Princess trip. That was it. All the rest were local Alaskans.

Only you can decide if you would like to do this tour. No matter what I or anyone else thinks of the tour, you have to decide what is best for you. I did the Kenai Fjords 9 hour tour and the 10 hour Adventure Bound Tour. I couldn't get enough of what Alaska had to offer. Boats do take you to places you can't get to otherwise. I still regret not taking an additional boat tour out of Whittier. Like you, I thought it might be too much. However, once I began experiencing Alaska, it was not too much for me. I couldn't get enough. However, I fully realize others would not feel the same way. Tracy Fjord is absolutely an amazing experience for those who love scenery and want to get into some of the true wilderness of Alaska. As I said before, some will be bored. Only you can decide. Enjoy Juneau and Alaska whatever you decide to do.

One other option you have is to simply not book ahead. If your ship arrives in time, call them and see if they have an opening. If they do, go for it, if they don't do your plan B. From what I have read, you can pretty easily find a whale watch at the last minute. Perhaps not with the ones mentioned on this forum, but there are plenty of others from what I have read.

No one has indicated they made the same connection. That should tell you something but even if they did that does not mean you would make it. I personally would not try such a short connection and I think many others would not either. I think your intuition that it would be risky is spot on. From reading the other thread and some others, (you can do a search on the forums) it seems they might give you a refund if the ship is late but if the ship is on time and you don't make it in 15 minutes it appears you could be out of luck for a refund.

Okay on topic :D

Our ship docked at the very furthest dock in Juneau. About a 15-20' walk or maybe 10' run to the Mt Roberts Tram. When we arrived the crowds poured out and lined up for the bus. It was a zoo so I was told by my wife, it took them 20' to get to the Orca office. I was coming from the Tracy Arm Fjord cruise and running almost 30' late due to wildlife sightings delays. After docking ran thru the ship only to still see there was a line 30-40 people deep buying tickets to get on the shuttle bus. I was really tight and trying to catch a Orca whale watch tour that was supposed to leave in 5'.

So a lot depends on where you dock and how quickly you get off the ship. For me the lines were so long I had to run... with bad consequences, but that is another story.

I'm taking a Princess one-way cruise from Vancouver to Whittier at the end of the month. I'll have one day in Juneau, and am interested in Advanture Bond's Tracy Arm cruise. But there's only 15min connecting time and I feel it's really risky (had another post earlier about this). Now considering my cruise includes Glacier Bay NP, and I'll take another small boat cruise in Kenai Fjord NP, is it still worth to squeeze in Tracy Arm on my day in Juneau?

Thanks for the details chipmaster.

I am in the same situation as the OP. My ship arrives in Juneau at 8am and I'm doing the Tracy Arm daycruise with Allen Marine at 8:30am. Although the Allen Marine person assured me there would be plenty of time, I am still a bit concerned about getting to the Seadrome Marina on time. So, I have reserved a cab with Evergreen Taxi:

http://www.evergreentaxi.com/reservations.php

Evergreen emailed and said they would have a cab waiting for me when my ship arrives. Let's hope it works out...

Also, FYI for the OP, I've been looking on Google Maps and the whole Juneau area has been mapped out with Google Street View. You can get a good idea of the layout by looking there. Of course, Street View does not show the rampaging crowds of people stampeding of the ships....

I just checked my notes from my trip in 2008. We actually docked at 8:15 p.m. We were at the gangplank waiting and were among the first off, but there were not any big crowds. We made a stop at the Paradise Cafe, which was across from the pier. (I am a vegetarian and needed to pick up my lunch as the tour did not have a vegetarian option.) I had pre-ordered my sandwich before I left for Alaska. We then walked very fast to Adventure Bound and made it in time. My notes do not say what time we arrived at their office, but as I mentioned before they left at 8:45 a.m. So, with docking at 8:15 a.m and stopping at the Paradise Cafe, we made it within the half hour. As I mentioned on your other thread, if this is something I wanted to do, I would arrange for a taxi.

Here is a picture of where our ship, Sapphire was docked. We were the ship on the far right, 5 ships in port I think. Mt Roberts is near the center two ships in this picture, was a ways away!

741244748_4305shipsinJuneau.jpg.851ea349bade421a59162f1bda1a2aca.jpg

Here is a picture of where our ship, Sapphire was docked. We were the ship on the far right, 5 ships in port I think. Mt Roberts is near the center two ships in this picture, was a ways away!

OP needs to find out where her ship is docking.

No one has indicated they made the same connection. That should tell you something but even if they did that does not mean you would make it. I personally would not try such a short connection and I think many others would not either. I think your intuition that it would be risky is spot on. From reading the other thread and some others, (you can do a search on the forums) it seems they might give you a refund if the ship is late but if the ship is on time and you don't make it in 15 minutes it appears you could be out of luck for a refund.

Actually, someone, I recommended this trip to on my May trip did make the boat tour. Our ship had a 8am port time, and I had given them the vendor's number (I had it open to take it). The ship got in early and they called, and made the trip. Raved about the tour.

Archived