Charlottetown PEI Car Rental

Kevin - thanks so much for the generous offer to answer our questions. I am going to be there in October and will rent a car for the day - what do you suggest are the sights we must see? Where is a great place to have lunch where the locals go? Would love for you to suggest a 6 hr route that will include a fun lunch with the locals.

Thanks!

We'll be watching for this information too! Agreed - Thank you Kevin, this is a generous offer. Thanks for your post eire45_99

• 2 weeks later...
The drive through the National Park along the north shore from Cavendish going east is spectacular. In North Rustico drive along the wharfs and fishing huts. Be sure to visit Brackley beach and a wonderful shop in that area called The Dunes. Stanhope is beautiful and I love the views from the hills in the New Glasgow area.

Here is a map. http://g.co/maps/9xtve

You can see the National Park but I did not route you through it to make it easier to do the map. You can order a guide and free map here:

https://www.tourismpei.com/guide/index.php3

On your way to the Confederation Bridge, check out the little village Victoria by the sea.

Maryann from Nova Scotia has suggested a very excellent route one that I would also recommend. Victoria by the Sea is quite beautiful and not as touristee as the Noth shore of PEI. Take the slight detour to see the Confederation Bridge, when built was the longest Marine Span in the World just under 13Kms. Be sure to also leave some time to tour around our capital city, Charlottetown, rich with Canadian history "the birthplace of Confederation". Victoria Park in Charlottetown is a gem with a spectacular boardwalk and the Lt Govenor's residence. You can take an Ice Cream break at the Kiwanis Canteen which is much cheaper than Cow's Ice Cream. The down town of Charlottetown has an over abundance of places to eat all are walking distance form the port. If you are into seeing beautiful churchs and their archecture PEI has a lot to offer. On your drive in the country side you will notice uncoutable White churchs in almost every community. While back in Charlottetown check out St Dunstan's Basilica (Roman C)(literally steps from the pier). Go inside and check out the 14 stations of the cross each one is a peice of art. You will also be surrounded with beautiful stained glass throughout the church. There is also a famous Robert Harris Church right next to our Historic Province House.

I could go on on for many more paragraphs. But, come to Prince Edward Island and enjoy our "Gentle Island" for your self.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

From PEI

The drive through the National Park along the north shore from Cavendish going east is spectacular. In North Rustico drive along the wharfs and fishing huts. Be sure to visit Brackley beach and a wonderful shop in that area called The Dunes. Stanhope is beautiful and I love the views from the hills in the New Glasgow area.

Here is a map. http://g.co/maps/9xtve

You can see the National Park but I did not route you through it to make it easier to do the map. You can order a guide and free map here:

https://www.tourismpei.com/guide/index.php3

On your way to the Confederation Bridge, check out the little village Victoria by the sea.

Absolutely a don't-miss drive. We had pouring rain for our day in PEI, and it was after Thanksgiving, so lots of places were closed (IIRC, I had been looking forward to a bakery in North Rustico). But it was beautiful to see. Loved the fishing huts!

Two suggestions.

1. If you go to Green Gables, try to go at lunch time. We arrived around noon, just as the last morning bus tour was leaving. We had the place to ourselves. We left just as the afternoon tour buses started to arrive. (suggestion 1.a. If you read Anne as a child, reread it before or during your trip. There are sooo many little Anne details at the house that make it even better if you know the book)

2. If you rent from Enterprise, take their partial gas tank offer. I forget what the fraction of a tank was, but they figured what the typical cruise ship one-day renter used, and they offer that amount as a prepay. We hit it just about on the nose.

The only thing I didn't like about PEI was that one day was not enough! We plan to go back when we can stay for a few days.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a map. http://g.co/maps/9xtve On your way to the Confederation Bridge, check out the little village Victoria by the sea.

This sounds wonderful! So the total drive time is 3hrs 30 min? Want to make sure I read that correctly. We are in port for 9 hrs. That would give us plenty of time to enjoy stopping to sight see and still take in Charlottetown when we get back.

Archived