Charlottetown PEI Car Rental

I have similar questions about the Y41 Budget option - I'd like to arrange a pickup as well' date=' and the price they quoted me online was at least twice that $20.

Anybody having better luck than I am?[/quote']

We just got back a few days ago. We used Enterprise Car Rental in Charlottetown because they offered a better rate with included unlimited miles. They will pick you up at the cruise ship pier and take you back to the pier upon return.

Enterprise is one block farther from the cruise terminal than Budget.

For both companies, it is necessary for the Cruise Ship's desk to call the rental car company after disembarkation is in progress to arrange for your pick-up.

We chose to walk and are glad we did. We had no line at the counter and were driving off in our rental car when those transported from the ship were just arriving for check in.

To Enterprise: outside of the terminal bear to your left walking toward the main road, Water St. Make a left onto Water St. At Queen's St. make a right and walk up approx. 9 short blocks to Euston St. You can't miss National at the intersection of Queens & Euston.

For Budget: from Water St., make a left on to Prince St. Walk approx. 9 blocks to the intersection of Prince & Euston.

Service with Enterprise was excellent, swift, efficient, and friendly.

Enjoy!! -- the north shore of PEI is beautiful. The entire island is charming, picturesque, and friendly.

I have similar questions about the Y41 Budget option - I'd like to arrange a pickup as well' date=' and the price they quoted me online was at least twice that $20.

Anybody having better luck than I am?[/quote']

I got confused referring to my notes. I used National in Halifax. Enterprise for PEI.

Several of us have cars for Charlottetown rented from Budget and they assure us that they will have vans waiting to take us to the office. I believe they told one of our roll call that they would bring the bus from the airport. Oh well can hope. It is less than a mile if we need to walk it.

Refer to my posting - Sept. 28 - on this thread

Enterprise and Budget both require the renter to call the local office after the disembarkation of passengers begins. They no longer will sit and wait at the pier for the cruise ships to be cleared by local authorities.

I just came back from a HAL cruise with a stop at Charl. For what you would pay to rent a car you can get a taxi tour that takes you to places you would not know about and get lost trying to find. Anne's house is just a small part of that beautiful island. Taxis are just outside the port building and are regulated by the government.

• 6 months later...

We are visiting Charlottetown in June on a Princess cruise & thinking of renting a car to tour PEI. I have been on our roll call & found that one person is renting from Avis at the airport and another from Budget, from the office on University Ave. Several people on this thread have mentioned Enterprise. We will be in town on a Saturday - it seems that rental offices NOT at the airport will be closing by noon at the latest. Some have mentioned a key drop for returning the rental car.

I would appreciate any updated information you can give us regarding rentals in Charlottetown for the upcoming season. Perhaps you've already made your reservations & you wouldn't mind sharing with me which company you've chosen & why. At this point, Enterprise and Budget seem to be the most popular rental companies. In the past, they have done a pickup at the pier. I'm wondering if that's still how it works.

Thanks for any advice you can give us on renting a car on PEI.

• 2 weeks later...
I just came back from a HAL cruise with a stop at Charl. For what you would pay to rent a car you can get a taxi tour that takes you to places you would not know about and get lost trying to find. Anne's house is just a small part of that beautiful island. Taxis are just outside the port building and are regulated by the government.

Could you provide an idea of how much the taxis would cost (e.g., per hour, per day, etc.)?

Do they take credit cards or only cash?

Also, would you happen to remember some of the memorable places you visited? Thanks!

I rented from Budget for Charlottetown and got unlimited free Km. $20 for the day. I joined the frequent renter program (free) and used the codes and coupons associated with my Costco membership (found on the website). Maybe try some coupon codes - I always have a lot of luck using the site mousesavers.com, which is a Disney site but has pages and pages of coupon codes for rental car companies that can be used all over.

We are visiting Charlottetown in June on a Princess cruise & thinking of renting a car to tour PEI. I have been on our roll call & found that one person is renting from Avis at the airport and another from Budget, from the office on University Ave. Several people on this thread have mentioned Enterprise. We will be in town on a Saturday - it seems that rental offices NOT at the airport will be closing by noon at the latest. Some have mentioned a key drop for returning the rental car.

I would appreciate any updated information you can give us regarding rentals in Charlottetown for the upcoming season. Perhaps you've already made your reservations & you wouldn't mind sharing with me which company you've chosen & why. At this point, Enterprise and Budget seem to be the most popular rental companies. In the past, they have done a pickup at the pier. I'm wondering if that's still how it works.

Thanks for any advice you can give us on renting a car on PEI.

Thinking we may be on the same cruise... We are also interested in renting a car and were thinking about Enterprise. I'll look forward to reading any replies you get to you post... Marcia

• 2 weeks later...

Marcia, You're on the cruise before us I believe - ours is the June 22nd sailing. I haven't read any more on our roll call about car rentals, just what I posted above. Now my husband is thinking that he doesn't want to rent a car, so we're looking into other options. Seems like we might walk off the ship & go to the Visitors Center to check out the Walk and Sea Charlottetown tours they run out of there. Ship tours won't help as we don't want to see Green Gables again, but we'd like to see some of the beautiful scenery PEI has to offer. Plus get some PEI mussels for DH!!

Good luck in your trip planning. Looks like you've got a nice group going on your sailing.

Janet

Best Rates on Car Rental in NS especially in Charlottetown as this is the Longest Port of Call time, I have tried different Codes etc.. and still have quite a cost, fee and Tax rate.

How to make it lower is my quest.

Marcia, You're on the cruise before us I believe - ours is the June 22nd sailing. I haven't read any more on our roll call about car rentals, just what I posted above. Now my husband is thinking that he doesn't want to rent a car, so we're looking into other options. Seems like we might walk off the ship & go to the Visitors Center to check out the Walk and Sea Charlottetown tours they run out of there. Ship tours won't help as we don't want to see Green Gables again, but we'd like to see some of the beautiful scenery PEI has to offer. Plus get some PEI mussels for DH!!

Good luck in your trip planning. Looks like you've got a nice group going on your sailing.

Janet

Rent the car! The driving is easy and the roads are very well marked with special signs for the tourist routes. You will see much more following these driving routes and set your own pace for the day. It is a beautiful island and worth doing the drive on your own. The car rental cost us much less than if we took a ship tour and we saw more of the island. It is about a 1/2 mile or less to walk (about 10 blocks) to the two rental car locations in town. They are right across the street from each other and their prices are about the same. I do know Enterprise will drive you back to the ship when you return the car. It was one of the easier places to do a car rental. I would advise getting off the ship as soon as possible and walking to the car rental office to avoid crowds and to save time. You may even meet others on the ship that would be anxious to share the cost of the rental with you. This is such a special place; don't miss seeing as much of it as you can fit in to your one port day. There isn't that much to do in town.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Thank you. You make me glad I decided to rent a car in PEI.:)

Can't wait to see it.

UPDATE: We rented a car this past June and it was wonderful. Definetly the way to go. Make sure you rent the car early though. I saved a ton of money because I booked in advance. I talked to a couple of people and they paid $60 more than I did. We got to stay at Ann's as long as we wanted. They herded people like cattle in and out of there and they had to rush through. Definetly glad we rented the car. Cheap excursion and fun too.

Enterprise is 8 short blocks walk from the cruise ship pier (walk up Queens St.) or you can request to have them pick you up. Their rates are with unlimited miles. The others I checked with in town locations limited free miles to approx. 200 Km....not enough if you plan on seeing as much of the island as possible....extra miles were between .15 and .20 per Km. or about $.35 per extra mile.

What's the location for renting with Enterprise? I found two:

83 EUSTON STREET and CHARLOTTETOWN AIRPORT

After reading through this thread, we opted to rent a car in Chalottetown. Booked it through Budget. My plan is to drive the south shore to Confederation Bridge then drive up to Cavendish and back to Chalottetown with a few photo stops along the way.

Anyone have any recommendations on must-see spots?

The drive through the National Park along the north shore from Cavendish going east is spectacular. In North Rustico drive along the wharfs and fishing huts. Be sure to visit Brackley beach and a wonderful shop in that area called The Dunes. Stanhope is beautiful and I love the views from the hills in the New Glasgow area.

Here is a map. http://g.co/maps/9xtve

You can see the National Park but I did not route you through it to make it easier to do the map. You can order a guide and free map here:

https://www.tourismpei.com/guide/index.php3

On your way to the Confederation Bridge, check out the little village Victoria by the sea.

The drive through the National Park along the north shore from Cavendish going east is spectacular. In North Rustico drive along the wharfs and fishing huts. Be sure to visit Brackley beach and a wonderful shop in that area called The Dunes. Stanhope is beautiful and I love the views from the hills in the New Glasgow area.

Here is a map. http://g.co/maps/9xtve

You can see the National Park but I did not route you through it to make it easier to do the map. You can order a guide and free map here:

https://www.tourismpei.com/guide/index.php3

On your way to the Confederation Bridge, check out the little village Victoria by the sea.

Thank you very much. I'll definitely be reading up on those locations you marked on the map.

• 4 weeks later...

So you can tell from my user name that I am from PEI and an avid crusier. If would like to ask any questions about Charlottetown or PEI I will try my best to give answers.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

We rented from Budget, and we have unliminted milage. I just went back in to check.

The note says 'pick up and return to ship'.

215 UNIVERSITY AVENUE

CHARLOTTETOWN, PE C1A 4L6 CA

Y41

We rented from Budget, and we have unliminted milage. I just went back in to check.

The note says 'pick up and return to ship'.

215 UNIVERSITY AVENUE

CHARLOTTETOWN, PE C1A 4L6 CA

Y41

We too have rented from Budget and have unlimited miles. We will have a full size car. I did notice that minivans and suvs do have limited miles - I think 150 km free and .18 per km over that

• 3 weeks later...
So you can tell from my user name that I am from PEI and an avid crusier. If would like to ask any questions about Charlottetown or PEI I will try my best to give answers.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Kevin - thanks so much for the generous offer to answer our questions. I am going to be there in October and will rent a car for the day - what do you suggest are the sights we must see? Where is a great place to have lunch where the locals go? Would love for you to suggest a 6 hr route that will include a fun lunch with the locals.

Thanks!

Archived