What beach is the closest to the CAVES??

cruiseaddictColleen

We will be sailing to Bermuda at the end of Aug. and would like to go to the caves but I have a few ?'s that I hope someone can answer. 1. What beach is close to the caves. 2. What amount of time do you usually spend at the caves? 3. Is there swimming inside the caves?? 4. Are the caves a "Must See?" Trying to figure out if we can get a beach day in along with the caves - have been to Bermuda 2 times before but have never experienced the caves. Thanks for any help you can give us.

The closest beach to Crystal and Fantasy Caves is Clearwater Beach and Turtle Beach, both in St David's, about a 5 minute taxi ride. There's a bar and restaurant at the beach. If you are a spelunker then you will want to see the caves. If you hate spelunking, then give it a miss. If you don't know what spelunking is, then go to the caves and find out. You might like it, thousands of others do. You cannot swim at Crystal or Fantasy Caves, but at the nearby Grotto Bay Hotel, you can swim in their caves. There is no charge to go into Grotto's caves, just head down to the pool and stay left.

I going to say that Shelly Bay is closer to the caves by about 1/2 the distance as Clearwater Beach is from the caves.

From http://www.bermuda-online.org/beaches.htm - Shelly Bay. Off North Shore Road. Public. Very shallow water, even at high tide. Safe. Attractive.

SB is located close to a route #10 or #11 bus line (taxi is an option) and you would be headed in the direction of Hamilton after visiting the caves. Don't know if there are any facilities at SB and I can't say which beach would be better.

Distances are rough road distances from Google maps.

The cave tour lasts about an hour for each cave plus waiting time. To enter Fantasy Cave, you have to walk down 88 stairs. When I visited in October, FC was hot, humid and damp; I would assume the same for Crystal Caves.

SBtS

The closest beach to Crystal and Fantasy Caves is Clearwater Beach and Turtle Beach, both in St David's, about a 5 minute taxi ride. There's a bar and restaurant at the beach. If you are a spelunker then you will want to see the caves. If you hate spelunking, then give it a miss. If you don't know what spelunking is, then go to the caves and find out. You might like it, thousands of others do. You cannot swim at Crystal or Fantasy Caves, but at the nearby Grotto Bay Hotel, you can swim in their caves. There is no charge to go into Grotto's caves, just head down to the pool and stay left.

I beg to differ even though you are a Bermudian. John Smiths Bay is closer to Crystal caves. The caves, John Smiths Bay and Swizzle Inn are a perfect combo. As far as the caves themselves as someone who spelunked a bit and also been in some large caves I could have passed on those caves. But I did not know that until I saw them. They would be most appealing to someone who has never been in any cave.

And the winner at 4.1km with Shelly Bay Beach is Sailbad!

And the runner up at 4.7km with John Smith's Bay is Charles!

The big loser at a whopping 8km away from Crystal Caves is Bdaguy sitting on Clearwater Beach!

Thank you all for answering my questions - still need to figure out what spelunking is though?? I am thinking the Grotto Bay caves sound cool whereas you can actually swim in them too. Can anyone use the beach at Grotto Bay or do you have to be staying there?? Thanks!

The resorts prefer that you are staying there and it's also preferable that you are staying there to swim in their cave.;)

Archived