balcony door is open--air is off???

dizzy205

Please can anyone shed some light--does the air really go off when you open the balcony door?? We are going on the Legend and we are looking forward to leaving the door open while we sleep....but do not want to sweat:(

If this is true, is there way to fake out the sensor????

The a/c in the cabin is, generally speaking, not powerful enough to keep up with the influx of hot humid air.

When you're running the a/c at home in the summertime, do you leave your doors and windows open? :rolleyes: Didn't think so.

One of the main reasons for the sensors is because if the doors remained open with the A/C on, it puts additional strain on the electrical system, something about a fire hazard, or electrical hazard, or something, LOL... someone explained it on here a while back... you can always just sleep on the balcony :p

The last cruise we were on was on RCCL Navigator, I don't think the air went off, and we did keep the door open to hear the ocean. If it did, my husband would have whined....and whined. He likes it around 60 below zero. Maybe the air went off and we didn't know about it...:confused:

When we were on the enchantment of the seas several years ago.we fell asleep with the balcony door open.that was the night that they cleaned the lido deck. we woke up to water coming into the room like there was a blowing rain out side. It was the crew cleaning the deck above. needless to say we have never left our balcony door open on any other cruise at night.

Remember the story a year or so ago about the passenger who came back to their cabin and found a drunk sleeping there. He had gotten lost and climbed across the balconies until he found what he *thought* was his cabin.

Lesson of the day: Keep your balcony door closed and locked.

Not to mention the wind that blows in when you have the door open. A couple of times it was so hard to push the door open it was so windy. When we did get it open things blew all over in the cabin and forget about what it did to the hair!:D

Please can anyone shed some light--does the air really go off when you open the balcony door?? We are going on the Legend and we are looking forward to leaving the door open while we sleep....but do not want to sweat:(

If you want to sleep with an open door to tropical breezes, go to a seaside resort, not a cruise ship!

When we were on the enchantment of the seas several years ago.we fell asleep with the balcony door open.that was the night that they cleaned the lido deck. we woke up to water coming into the room like there was a blowing rain out side. It was the crew cleaning the deck above. needless to say we have never left our balcony door open on any other cruise at night.

this should be enough incentive to keep the door closed for now on....

If you want to sleep with an open door to tropical breezes, go to a seaside resort, not a cruise ship!

Thank you for being so kind! I didn't realize there were such nice people on these posts....I hope you are this nice to everyone!

The last 3 cruises we had a balcony, we have never had any propblems with smoke or any loud poeple keeping us awake or any weird water experiences...but I will keep all that in mind. It is better to be safe than sorry:) I would hope people wouldn't be that stupid to try to climb from balcony to balconyto find their cabin:rolleyes: but you never know these days.

We sailed in August...and when we left the door open the condensation built up real fast. It just took too long to cool the cabin down with the heat and humidty from outside. AIr couldnt keep up with it.

Thank you for being so kind! I didn't realize there were such nice people on these posts

Even nice enough to recommend a specific land resort if you want to sleep with the doors to a verandah open to the sea and stars: I did this at the Half Moon Bay resort in Jamaica years ago, and yes, dreaming under the sound of tree frogs and waves at that absolutely gorgeous property is indeed pure magic.

And practical, given three critical factors:

- no AC (just a ceiling fan)

- relatively low nighttime humidity

- 24/7 armed security walking the grounds immediately outside to insure safety and privacy

Notably, none of these factors is present in a cruise ship cabin.

Hence the sincere recommendation!

Dizzy-We also sleep with our balcony door open...it is really wonderful. We have been on the Triumph, Destiny, and Paradise and have never had the AC turn off. We will be on the legend next month...so if you are sailing after us I'll let you know.

P.S.

Please don't let some people on these boards get you down....you know the saying "there's one in every crowd" :)

I know the air on the Triumph did not go off. We propped the door because even with closing the vent some, our room was very cold. By cracking the balcony door, the room temperature evened out. I would not usually suggest a door open and air, but at home I can control the temperature of the air. Now I room steward made sure to close if we by chance forgot to do so the minute we left the room.

On all the Spirit Class ships the A/C turns off when the door is open. On our trip to Alaska the cabin was sweltering in Vancouver. My wife opened the door to let some air in. It wasn't till two days later we saw the sign telling us it would shut the A/C off. A real DOH moment realizing why the room didn't cool down that day. LOL

Archived