Trouble with muster drill

lookin4ward

My husband and I are not "handicapped" but we have a hard time climbing steps. We both have to step up each step individually. So it takes a long time to go up one flight. Who and how do we notify someone that although not registered as handicapped we can not climb stairs. We take so long that on our last cruise we had people behind us shouting to get a move on it. Even going single file we still cause congestion. How do I handle this?

I cruise with my family all the time, in our group are 2 ladies over the age of 80, both with mobility issues when it comes to stairs. We tell our cabin steward and he instructs us on what to do. Usually during the muster drill, there are staff members posted at the elevators to keep people off of them, but when you tell them you have this issue, they allow you (or at least those with limitations) to ride the elevators.

Ask for instruction, they will help you out.

You know about what time the drill is and should know where it is as soon as you find your cabin, I'd head to the station 15-20 minutes before the ship departs so you can ride the elevator and skip the lines.

My husband and I are not "handicapped" but we have a hard time climbing steps. We both have to step up each step individually. So it takes a long time to go up one flight. Who and how do we notify someone that although not registered as handicapped we can not climb stairs. We take so long that on our last cruise we had people behind us shouting to get a move on it. Even going single file we still cause congestion. How do I handle this?

My heart goes out to you and I think it's very courteous of you to have posted this question. I'm so sorry that people yelled at you on your last cruise! That's just terrible. On my cruise at the end of May, my suite was in the very aft corner and the stairway to go down one flight to our muster area was right there. There was an older couple directly ahead of me who descended exactly as you described...and there were hoards of people waiting behind us...BUT...no one yelled! So you couldn't have been on my Spirit Alaska cruise. But, to be truthful, I did wonder what everyone would do if this were a TRUE emergency? I'm glad people have told you that you should tell someone ahead of time. I wish you happy cruises in the future and I hope you don't encounter any more rude people.

Anyone know where (what deck) the muster is on the Glory? My parents are also very slow, and cannot climb the stairs at all. My DH and I are always putting them on an elevator, and then meeting them - by way of stairs - wherever we are heading. Our staterooms are on Deck 6 this time. I'd like to plan ahead for them. Also, I think I read where we do not wear the jackets anymore???

Oh, thats a great suggestion by bptex... head there early, then sit in a public area on that same deck and wait until the actual muster time. Thanks for the idea!

I walked up 5 flights of stairs exactly once before figuring out how to cheat :D

Anyone know where (what deck) the muster is on the Glory? My parents are also very slow, and cannot climb the stairs at all. My DH and I are always putting them on an elevator, and then meeting them - by way of stairs - wherever we are heading. Our staterooms are on Deck 6 this time. I'd like to plan ahead for them. Also, I think I read where we do not wear the jackets anymore???

Contact Guest Services upon embark. Let them know the situation.

In many cases they will brief those folks with mobility issues separately so they don't have to handle the stairs and such. In the event of a real emergency crew members will be assigned to assist them to the life boats...

:)

I understand you not wanting to label yourself handicapped, however I think you should have yourself put down as handicapped in the event there is a true emergency someone would know to check on you.

Now for muster drill, I would just plan to get there early.

WE like to go early and that way most of the time you can find a place to sit also, depending where the muster statios is.

Do take your time and have a good cruise and the will not throw you off if you do not make the drill.

My simple solution to the stairway issue is to know where the muster station is and head that way a bit early before the elevators are closed. I can usually do stairs, but I never know when my bad knee, or my good one for that matter, will give me trouble and I will have to do steps one at a time. I avoid the rush and the stairs.

Doc:eek:

I am disabled and have a hard time walking quickly. I got to my station early. Whoever is in charge of your station will have the people with disability problems fill out a sheet so they know you might need help in a true emergency. They also don't make you go out to the lifeboats. You can remain at the muster station until the drill is over. My last cruise the person in charge let us leave before the final bell.

Have a great time.

Candi

I've travelled with Mom in a wheelchair and DD with asthma and other who have some mobility difficulties... If you can get there early, that will help with muster... BUT, in the event of a real emergency -- I pray this never happens -- be sure to tell the Cabin Steward and Guest Services, in advance. They will list that and there will be some extra responsibility taken in the event of a true emergency.

I broke my foot a week before cruising last year and the staff ushered those that couldn't go out to the lifeboats easily to the library. We filled out a form and were given a separate review of the procedure. We were told to remain till staff came back and dismissed us. I waited till most passengers had left the area because it is very crowded after the drill also. It was a smooth, easy way to fill the requirement.

I am disabled and have a hard time walking quickly. I got to my station early. Whoever is in charge of your station will have the people with disability problems fill out a sheet so they know you might need help in a true emergency. They also don't make you go out to the lifeboats. You can remain at the muster station until the drill is over. My last cruise the person in charge let us leave before the final bell.

My last cruise (earlier this year) was on Carnival and nobody gave me anything to fill out at/for the muster drill (the cruiseline knew I have mobility and other disabilities and having my service dog next to me makes it fairly obvious for the muster drill ppl). Our muster drill also never left the muster station, we just stood in place the whole time in a very long double-row line in an outside hallway.

You know about what time the drill is and should know where it is as soon as you find your cabin, I'd head to the station 15-20 minutes before the ship departs so you can ride the elevator and skip the lines.

Never do this if your muster station is located on outside deck...unless you enjoy the "packed in like sardines" feel.

Wait till the last possible moment, ascend to the drill area, and you will be in the front line with no one in front of you except the instructors.

It also subtracts 10-15 minutes from those who wanted to be the first to arrive. Also, you will be the first to leave when drill is complete.

:)

Mike

Archived