Cats in Rome?

Kramer995

There are cats everywhere in Rome, you can't miss them.

The sanctuary at Largo Argentina isn't very big, but they're doing good work and they sell small items to support their work. It isn't all that easy to find - to get to it, use the steps near the southwest corner of the Area Sacra.

Here's their web site, in case you haven't run across it: http://www.romancats.com/

when I went there,,,ended up taking cat photos at all the sites,,,and even the streets,etc....as you can guess, I m a cat lover,,,,framed a few and highlight of trip,,,many feed the street cats,and looked in good shape....asked about sanctuary at hotel and taxi and never heard of it,,,so missed it,,,sadly....glad you got a weblink....PS.esp.at Colliseum and Roman Forum,,,took "snacks" for them and they "posed" for pics..:)

Yes, I've been to the sanctuary. Nicely run place and well worth supporting. If interested, it worthwhile checking out the website. It includes instructions for overseas contributions and how make U.S. contributions tax deductibles.

http://www.romancats.com/index_eng.php

Before we moved south to take care of my wife's parents, my wife was very active in feline rescue (with a few dogs, too). We usually had 30 or so living with us (most with medical problems), so I have lots of respect for the sanctuary.

when I went there,,,ended up taking cat photos at all the sites,,,and even the streets,etc....as you can guess, I m a cat lover,,,,framed a few and highlight of trip,,,many feed the street cats,and looked in good shape....asked about sanctuary at hotel and taxi and never heard of it,,,so missed it,,,sadly....glad you got a weblink....PS.esp.at Colliseum and Roman Forum,,,took "snacks" for them and they "posed" for pics..:)

Do they accost you for paymant after you take their picture, like the fake gladiators??

Also worth noting if you take the time to visit Largo Argentina to see the cats....... You are also looking at the site of Julius Caesar's murder. He was not, as many people suppose, murdered in the Forum but here, where the Senate was temporarily meeting.

really DID take them along so cats would come to me...best one was cat on motorcyle in front of colliseum.. so funny,,,,have it framed,,,looks like my cat,,Gus,,a 20 lb.orange Morris type....

My husband says they came because Im Italian,,,hahaha

Have seem them all around Europe too,,,but some places they look so scruffy,skinny and sad,,,thankfully not here,,that I saw....

Worse was Greece,,,wanted to take them all home,,,so sad.....:(

What type of snacks did you bring to feed them. I love cats and dogs. Was it Pompeii where I read there are lots of stray dogs that hang out and give "guided" tours?

At Lamanai, in Belize, we had a wonderful dog tour guide! :-)

Hello,

I have been in Rome twice in the last few months. Both times I went to the Cat Sanctuary which is located under the street off the square. Some of the cat's live among the ruins, and others inside the sanctuary. They do excellent work! Although small, they have a very nice selection of cat items to purchase and help support the sanctuary. The volunteers inside will take you around and tell of all about their operation. They ask you not to feed these cats, but I didn't see the sign until after we fed them a few pouches of wet cat food. This location is wonderful for the cats as it has many cubbyholes for them to hide if necessary. I also saw a few cats at the colliseum, but that were down below, where you could not get to them. Don't miss this opportunity to see the sanctuary. The last time I went, I took my sister-in-law. She said that it was one of the highlights of her trip, even though she is not really a cat person, she is a dog person. I am also a CAT LOVER.

Archived