Camera of choice on cruise?

Was wondering what is a 1.4X doubler. I have the same lens for my Canon 50D. I'm just learning this photography thing. Sounds interesting!

These increase the effective focal length but also reduce the f stop. The 14 will provide 40% improvement in magnification but reduce a F2.8 lense to F4. Thus using on any lense slower then F4 will likely render the auto focus very marginal.

I'm normally a Nikon D200 user, but shot our whole cruise last year with a Canon SD1200IS. I love this camera and often use it in manual mode, rather than auto.

Photos here:

I haven't used a waterproof case yet with it, but will be at the end of the week on our next cruise!

Thanks for sharing the link to your photos....they were awesome!!!

I use a Canon SX110 IS. It is a great little camera which has 10x optical zoom, large LCD. It uses 2 AA batteries. I always put rechargeable NiMH AA batteries. It has Av, Tv and M mode too.

There are a lot of other great cameras to choose from too. Canon has two f/2.0 cameras, S90 and SD4000 IS.

If you're interested in higher quality cameras with interchangeable lens, you can take a look of Panasonic GF1 or Olympus E-PL1.

FW

It is so easy. I love it!!:)

We got the new canon SD3500 IS, just to have a pocket size for carry around. All our others have a viewfinder, but this little TS is just great outside (430,000 pix screen)-no trouble seeing the screen. The TS is very easy to use, there are no buttons or dials at all on the back, its all screen 3.5".

The other camera we use is a canon SX20 IS, a super zoom.

Ok, so with less than three weeks away from one of my cruises this fall, I'm trying to figure out how I want to handle photos on this trip. I've got a Pentax K10D with a great bounce flash and lens, but it's a bit of a pain to lug around the ship and back and forth to the cabin (as I found out last October).

So I'm trying to figure out what compact digital I want to purchase for the trip and figured I'd get some input from other CC users for some ideas :D

A few needs:

- At least 10MP

- Waterproof or waterproof housing available

- Rechargable battery, no alkalines

- SD card standard (no xD/microSD)

- 10x zoom preferable

- Manual mode preferable

Thanks!

I would go with the Sony DSC TX5. A little pricey at over $300, but a great camera. Most people are concerned with optical zoom. For a cruise camera with a lot of interior, people and landscape shots, you can't beat the 25mm wide angle (35mm equivalent). You will sacrifice the long end of the zoom at only 100mm, but this is perfect for me. Especially with all of the other features.

- At least 10MP

- Waterproof or waterproof housing available

- Rechargable battery, no alkalines

- SD card standard (no xD/microSD)

- 10x zoom preferable

- Manual mode preferable

The Olympus Tough series has a 14 MP version, waterproof to 30 feet, shockproof to 10 feet, rechargeable battery, optical 10 x zoon, but no manual mode. I chose it for my upcoming cruise. You can see some photos take with it here:

A word of caution: Make sure you leave it in its case while its in the room, and preferably in the safe, and be sure to let it warm up outside for a few minutes before you start taking photos. There is not a camera known to man (and especially that Pentax of yours) that handles the cold to hot change without developing condensate. I now leave my Nikon D300 and D700 at home on cruises and just take the P&S camera because I got tired of lugging all that extra weight.

Archived