Trevi Fountain

GailnBrad

It's one mile from Roma Termini to the Trevi Fountain. You can cut that distance in half if you take the metro from Termini (Line A, direction Battistini) for two stops to Barberini, and walk a little less than a half mile from there.

You can create a google map using the coordinates 41.900856,12.483355 for the Trevi Fountain, and Piazza dei Cinquecento for Rome Termini train station, and Piazza Barberini to see where the metro would let you out.

Is there some reason you must start from Termini? If you are coming from Civitavecchia, it may not be the most convenient or fastest way to get to Trevi. For example, if you decide to walk, you could get off the train at Roma Ostiense, then take the metro north for two stops to Colosseo, and walk a little less than a mile from there. The benefit of this route is that you get to see the Colosseum and the Roman Forum along the way.

Similarly, if you do decide to go to Termini, you can see Palazzo del Quirinale, the home of the Italian president, along the way.

Thanks all for the info. I used Termini as a starting point since our hotel in just a few blocks from there.

Okay, well with that as a starting point, here's my suggestion.

From Termini/Piazza dei Cinquecento, walk toward Piazza Repubblica on Viale Einaudi, then continue in the same direction on Via Orlando for one more block to Via XX Settembre. Visit Santa Maria della Vittoria, on the corner here, to see Bernini's amazing Ecstacy of St. Teresa. If you've seen or read Dan Brown's Angels and Demons you'll recognize this church.

Head south along Via XX Settembre. At the intersection of Via delle Quatro Fontane, don't miss the four fountains (one at each corner) before stepping into San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane, on the southeast corner. It's a tiny little gem of 17th century architecture.

Continuing on along the road, which has now become Via del Quirinale, you're walking along the presidential palace wall. Further down, on the same side of the street at San Carlo, you'll come to Sant'Andrea al Quirinale, another brilliant, tiny church worth a look.

At the Piazza del Quirinale, check out the honor guard before heading down the stairs on the other side of the piazza. The stairs bring you to Via Dataria, which is only a couple of short blocks from the Trevi Fountain.

Wow. I did not know that excavation was right there! I stayed at the Cosmopolita Hotel last September.

We came out of our hotel, took a right to the main street there, and with a job right and then left walked a very short distance to Trevi. Hotel Traino is close, too.

The fountain is particularly lovely after dark. Of course there will be about six zillion people there then if the weather is nice, but it is still special to see then.

It is spectacular after dark. Watch for pickpockets. This is one of their favorite places. Keep your purse in front of you, and put it on UNDER your jacket. Keep your hand on it, too. People will bump you as you take in the sights.

A friend of mine had someone get into her Pacsafe Purse and get her wallet out in spite of the sweater she had tucked into the purse on top of the wallet.

Archived