Taking Photos in 2 Major NYC Cruise Terminals.

Hello Everyone,

I have a question and many people have told me different answers, but want to get to clear. There are two major cruise terminals in New York City area that are home to major cruise lines. One being pier 88-92 on the west side highway in NYC and Red Hook Cruise Terminal in Brooklyn, NY.

Many people have photographed cruise ships in both cruise terminals.

This poses my question:

1) NYC Cruise Terminal: I have heard in front of the bus slots you are allowed to take photos, but others have told me no, you aren't allowed there at all. Please clarify this for me.

2) Red Hook Cruise Terminal: I would like to take a ride one day to see the queen mary 2 docked at Red Hook, but am not sure where you are allowed to take photos at the terminal. Please let me know.

Thank you in advance,

Sincerely,

Nicholas Smith

Take all the pictures you want anywhere until someone says otherwise and then question, nicely, their authority to restrict your access. Commercial & professional photography may be restricted in some areas. If you show up with a tons of equipment and use a tripod expect a hassle in most areas of NY City IMHO.

framer

Interesting read here:

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

I carry a copy folded up in my camera bag. The most important thing is to be polite when asking them to quote the specific restriction they are enforcing. If they become threatening, back down, it's not worth spending a couple hours in a detention cell waiting for someone with a higher pay grade to realize that you didn't actually break any real rules.

I took this in the Port of Los Angeles several years ago (not too long after 9/11) and had to do a lot of verbal tap-dancing with a couple of humorless port authority types to convince them that photographing it was "funny" and not an act of terror.

p111155182-3.jpg

The winning argument was that the ship's photographer was shooting welcome aboard photos 40 feet away right by an identical sign.

As framer said, you have the right to take photos until it's proven that you don't. It also doesn't hurt to ask first when in doubt. Some places will give you a paper to carry along to "prove" you're ok.

Dave

Interesting read here:

It also doesn't hurt to ask first when in doubt.

Dave

I prefer to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. A suggestion or a request not to take a photo's would not stop me if conditions warrant. You have to pick your battles carefully.

framer

Maybe not relevant in the US - but like Dave I also carry (simplified) print outs of the law to hand out to any Jobsworth,:p - If a photograph can be taken then it will be :) :-

There is no law in the United Kingdom preventing a photographer - whether amateur or professional - from taking photographs in a public place. Nor do individuals have a legal right to stop a photographer from photographing them. Thus a photographer is perfectly free to shoot street scenes, landscapes, buildings, people etc, without breaking any law and with perfect freedom to do so.

Jaqui Smith Home Secretary First of all may I take this opportunity to state the government greatly values the importance of the freedom of the press, and as such there is no legal restriction on photography in public places, Also as you will be aware,there is no presumption of privacy for individuals in public places.

Jaqui Smith is no longer the Home Secretary but the law still stands.

Sam

Archived