Speciality Steak Restaurant on Sea Princess

Jetnoise

Quick question about the steak restaurant - I am an omnivore and understand that the steaks are good - and thus I wish to try one. My wife is a vegetarian. Do they offer vegetarian options in the steakhouse as I do not wish to dine alone in there (and she doesn't wish to dine alone elsewhere)?

Cheers,

Ralph.

Quick question about the steak restaurant - I am an omnivore and understand that the steaks are good - and thus I wish to try one. My wife is a vegetarian. Do they offer vegetarian options in the steakhouse as I do not wish to dine alone in there (and she doesn't wish to dine alone elsewhere)?

Cheers,

Ralph.

If you contact them in advance (once on the ship) - they can make something for your wife or have something from the main dining room menu brought to the speciality restaurant. They also usually offer a fish dish (not sure if your wife eats fish or not).

I would just speak with them when you make the reservation. I don't think you will have a problem.

I am not sure if the Sea Princess has updated their steakhouse menu to the Crown Grill menu or not. But regardless, they will take care of you.

Thanks for the reply Coral. I had figured that they would do something to pander to my wife's peculiar tastes such as, as you suggest, get a veggie meal sent up from the main dining room, but wondered if anybody had actual experience of this or alternative arrangements.

Cheers,

Ralph

We did the steakhouse on the Sea P a few years ago and IMHO at that time, it probably wasn't worth the extra cost. I had steak just as good in the main restaurant. Of course, food is a very subjective experience and everyone will have their own opinions, but I can only give you mine as I saw it at the time.

What "spoiled" it for me too was that part of the Horizon Court was used as the steakhouse in the evening - they sectioned it off and tried to make it look nice, but people were looking over as they were walking through the HC. This put me off. I may be tempted in the future to try one of the speciality steak houses again, but I would want it to be a specific restaurant and not just part of another eating venue, especially a buffet area.

Sorry if I sound bit down on this. I hope that you enjoy your steak wherever you get to eat it! If you do decide to try the Sea P steakhouse and your good lady has a vegetarian meal, you may want to find out if they would still charge both of you the extra $$ the steakhouse charges. I would assume that the cost is for the "upgraded" steaks that are served, but you never know....

Happy cruising.

• 1 month later...
We did the steakhouse on the Sea P a few years ago and IMHO at that time, it probably wasn't worth the extra cost. I had steak just as good in the main restaurant. Of course, food is a very subjective experience and everyone will have their own opinions, but I can only give you mine as I saw it at the time.

What "spoiled" it for me too was that part of the Horizon Court was used as the steakhouse in the evening - they sectioned it off and tried to make it look nice, but people were looking over as they were walking through the HC. This put me off. I may be tempted in the future to try one of the speciality steak houses again, but I would want it to be a specific restaurant and not just part of another eating venue, especially a buffet area.

Sorry if I sound bit down on this. I hope that you enjoy your steak wherever you get to eat it! If you do decide to try the Sea P steakhouse and your good lady has a vegetarian meal, you may want to find out if they would still charge both of you the extra $$ the steakhouse charges. I would assume that the cost is for the "upgraded" steaks that are served, but you never know....

Happy cruising.

I disagree with that. The steaks in the steak house are far superior to what you get in the Dining Room. There's no way you would get a Filet Mignon in the MDR. And I'm sure they would do you a veggie option if you give them prior notice. Enjoy!

We ate at the Sterling Steakhouse in July on the Sea Princess. While I don't remember if they had a vegetarian dish, I'm sure they could put one together, especially if you inform the maitre d' beforehand.

And yes, it is a "roped-off" section of the Horizon Court, but there is no foot traffic from the buffet. They do try to make it as elegant as possible... certainly not as good as the Crown Grill on other ships, but it is nice and the service was very good too. As for the steaks.. excellent.

Here's a porterhouse...

4853624697_330baaaef1_z.jpg

A ribeye...

4854238838_190466a834_z.jpg

A filet mignon...

4854233228_aa04a807c3_z.jpg

And yes, they were done to perfection.

Is it just me? The meals in those photos don't look all that appealing for a speciality restaurant. I'm sure the steaks are ok, but they could have made more effort with the accompaniments and presentation. This is supposed to be a "special" meal, not something mass produced.

The steakhouse setup in the HC isn't nearly as nice as newer ships but the food and service are very good. We were seated close to the entrance and there were quite a few people that didn't realize this wasn't the HC buffet and would wander in. I much prefer the newer ships for alternative dining but would consider doing it in HC in the future.

As far as vegetarian, with advance notice I'm sure they would prepare a wonderful meal.

I have eaten at Sterling Steakhouse on the Sun Princess, which is the sister ship of the Sea Princess. I have also eaten at the Sterling Steakhouse on the Sapphire Princess.

I never eat steak! The premium fish entree is great! In Alaska, it is halibut, but probably it will be a featured fresh fish from the area of the world where you are crusing. They also have shrimp cocktail and clam chowder, as well as a BBQ chicken entree.

The side dishes are wonderful, and they are so tasty that they could themselves serve as dinner. Side dishes include sauteed mushrooms, corn casserole, creamed spinach, baked potatoes and also french fries.

Desserts include raspberry creme brulee, cheesecake, chocolate pecan pie, and fried peach turnover.

For me, the fact that it is located in the Horizon Court area is a plus. The view is fantastic! I always say that it is the greatest restaurant view in the world! What a view!

Go for it, for sure! Oh! I forgot to mention other appetizers! Brie and papaya quesadilla, as well as caesar salad.

Service is impeccable. My server remembered the wine I like... are we drinking Silverado tonight, he asked? :) :) :)

Thanks all for the info (and no, it isn't too late - we sail in January!). I agree, the steaks look great but I am not too sure about the plates! Having been reading other threads here regarding the service on the Sea Princess, I am sure that they will provide something for my wife whilst I tuck in to a large Porterhouse or Ribeye (my two favourite steaks)!

Cheers,

Ralph

We just got off the Sea Princess a week ago. We had one dinner at the steak house. It is much better than the MDR in terms of quality, selection and service (which is saying something because I think the MDR has great quality and service). However if it is worth the extra $20 pp that is a matter of opinion. Last night we went to a little neighborhood restaurant and paid $35. So to me it was well worth it compared to what I can get at home. The steak house is in a sectioned off part of the buffet. However we did not notice anyone from the buffet looking on. You can't walk through the steak house to get to the buffet. We had a table next to the window as we cruised the Johnson Straight. We had a great time.

Archived