Can you compare a helicopter ride to anything else?

santamaria

Not the beauty or the thrill, but the motion. I really want to do this, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone else by getting sick! I can handle the fear part, but the motion? Can you compare to any particular ride (i.e. Disney Thunder Mountain - which I can't do - I also can't look out of plane window. You think I should give it up and send them without me? Thanks again.

Helicopter rides are, for the most part, very smooth. It's not like a carnival ride at all. You shouldn't have any problems. It is a breathtaking experience. Helicopter trips top the list of any excursions we've ever done. Don't miss it!

I tend to suffer from motion sickness in a car and boat and even some thrill rides. Heppicopters (son's pronounciation of it) are a different story. You do have a funny feeling when they take off since they go UP so different than a plane. But motion does not seem to be an issue once it gets going. Not even a concern in my book. I think the excitement of something cool helps to mask any worries. Maybe? They are just cool.

Ok, maybe a little milder than IMAX...Normally, the flight will be smooth and without erratic motion. The pilot wants to make your flight as smooth as possible...it makes them look good :). I do that with my passengers and never had one get sick yet! Of course, some weather conditions are beyond the control of the pilot. :)

Not the beauty or the thrill, but the motion. I really want to do this, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone else by getting sick! I can handle the fear part, but the motion? Can you compare to any particular ride (i.e. Disney Thunder Mountain - which I can't do - I also can't look out of plane window. You think I should give it up and send them without me? Thanks again.

If you say you can't look out a plane window, are you sure this is for you? The main purpose of this flight is to look out the window and view the sights.

I haven't flown in a helicopter in Alaska---will be doing so this May!---but have done so in Hawaii [Kawai], and there was a lot of up and down and sideways flight. [We were in an open helicopter and I got some great photos!]

Although I would certainly hope to enjoy the flight (and certainly expect it to be slower, less motion, than an airplane) the main purpose for me is to get to the dog sledding. If all else fails, my husband has offered to hitch our 5 large dogs to a wagon and run them down our 1/2 mile driveway. I don't want to do the dog sledding on wheels, but I guess that's at least an option. I just thought maybe there was something similar to the helicopter ride that I could relate to.

santamaria,

My thoughts exactly! :D The more I read about the helicopter & floatplane, the more terrified I become. :eek: The one thing I most want to do in Alaska, is go dog sledding. If all else fails, I'll keep my eyes closed on both planes, & take advantage of every second we are on the ground. :p

Archived