How much local money to take?

newcruiser52

I feel there have been recommendations, but now my trip is actually within sight (going on the Sep 4th); so I'm wanting to get some XPF in advance. I assume I will need for taxi from Papeete airport to my day hotel, then for return ship to airport; and I've been hearing local crafts in the islands prefer XPF... Any suggestions/experiences?

We've been back now for about 2 weeks. At the airport, open anytime an international flight arrives, is currency exchange. Just to your left as you get out of the terminal. A few weeks ago it was 85xpf for $1 US, not great but the hotel had it at 81.

The taxi and local crafts will prefer and may only accept xpf. Try not to get too much as when you return you will lose almost 15% when you exchange back to USD.

Pareos were in the 2,000 - 3,500 xpf range.

Back on August 1.... The boat exchanged for us at 85 fp for dollars. I charged almost everything except for smaller vendor on the Tahaa motu and a few on the dock at Moorea. It was interesting to me that one vendor told me to use 100 per exchange rate (which sure made the math easier) and when I got home that was what it worked out on my MasterCard.... Others, like Coco Blanco on Moorea, the exchange rate ended up at 78 or 79 ..this was the same date..... I'm a shopper but we exchanged $200 and had some left for a sandwhich at the airport which was great. After charging a $31 nasty hamburger at the Radisson.

EMBARASSING GAFFE........ bought some wonderful Vanilla Creme Liquour at the airport duty free ($10 more than at the Jus Factory) that we loved... Got back to LA where our airline (SW) made us get our bags and recheck them with horrendously long lines ... got it all done and went through security.... SURPRISE!!!! forgot about our duty free liquour... lost it to the guards... It was like a rich vanilla baily's ....

still sad about that.

Back on August 1....

EMBARASSING GAFFE........ bought some wonderful Vanilla Creme Liquour at the airport duty free ($10 more than at the Jus Factory) that we loved... Got back to LA where our airline (SW) made us get our bags and recheck them with horrendously long lines ... got it all done and went through security.... SURPRISE!!!! forgot about our duty free liquour... lost it to the guards... It was like a rich vanilla baily's ....

still sad about that.

Dear Mariah,

I can understand you being upset. We bought sum rum at the Dulles DF, but I told him we were changing planes in Frankfurt. He put the bottles in a special security sealed bag, and we did not have a problem going through security in Frankfurt. In fact, they wanted to be invited to the party lol.

Archived