Booking day trips on board or advance?

newcruiser52

For those who have been on the PG before, wondering if my observation about the tours is how it always is, or unique to our cruise:

I notice that many of the trips described in the brochure/pdf are not available for booking on the website in my account. Some of the islands actually have no tours offered online at all, whereas a nice tour described in the brochure. And other of the Marquesas islands have only one option to book.

Does the PG usually offer more once you are on board, or is this it? Wondering if I should jump at the trips that still exist, as they would be the only option; or if I wait the others might re-appear? Or, easy to get a local guide to do a custom tour at the pier?

Was really hoping for the overnight at Intercontinental Bora Bora also, not offered online, TA called them and they say maybe once on board, depends on hotel availability. Anyone do this, and worth waiting for; or should I book into a tour that's being gathered on Bora Bora with Patrick?

Sorry so many questions, cannot believe it's only a few weeks to this as it's been booked for a while and I'm very excited, but anxious as well.

Thanks for replies.

Bev

For those who have been on the PG before, wondering if my observation about the tours is how it always is, or unique to our cruise:

I notice that many of the trips described in the brochure/pdf are not available for booking on the website in my account. Some of the islands actually have no tours offered online at all, whereas a nice tour described in the brochure. And other of the Marquesas islands have only one option to book.

Does the PG usually offer more once you are on board, or is this it? Wondering if I should jump at the trips that still exist, as they would be the only option; or if I wait the others might re-appear? Or, easy to get a local guide to do a custom tour at the pier?

Was really hoping for the overnight at Intercontinental Bora Bora also, not offered online, TA called them and they say maybe once on board, depends on hotel availability. Anyone do this, and worth waiting for; or should I book into a tour that's being gathered on Bora Bora with Patrick?

Sorry so many questions, cannot believe it's only a few weeks to this as it's been booked for a while and I'm very excited, but anxious as well.

Thanks for replies.

Bev

When I did the Marquesas there were only a single 4x4 tours on two islands. Nuku Hiva and Hiva Oa had a couple more. This is because of the limited tourist infrastructure. In fact there were no tours at all listed in Fatu Hiva, the most remote of the islands, but they added a 4x4 trip on board. On that island we just walked around, shopped and watched the cultural performance they did for us (amazing scenery.)

I would imagine that the overnight in Bora Bora would have to be booked and paid for in advance, since it is very expensive. I would phone them about this if your heart is set on it.

You can look at my topic of scanned daily events as I included the on board version of the shore excursions for my recent trip. We did the Cook Islands so not all would be equal. The only ones that were not available were the helicopter in Bora Bora (we were told they went out of business) and the ATV tour in bora bora (we were told that the company had their ATV's stolen and then trashed-they were awaiting new ones).

There was only one additional tour which was added to this list and it was announced on board. You can look at the documents that I scanned but I believe you have up to 24 hours in advance to cancel.

Archived