Veendam Experience

cookingmom

Our multigenerational group (DH, DW, DD (16y/o) and DM (86y/o) just returned from a Bermuda cruise aboard the Veendam. I've submitted a member's review but I thought I'd post a few tidbits for those anxiously awaiting their upcoming sailings. Firstly, the ship is in very good repair with the public areas as well as our cabins, kept in immaculate condition.

The crew, especially our cabin stewards and dining room waiters were among the best we have encountered. While I agonized over the potential of inadaquate AC, luckily, our cabins were great. Mine was delightfully cool, so much so that my husband referred to it as "the igloo." The fan that I requested was in my room but I never needed it.

The unsatisfactory tendering experience that we shared with hundreds of other Veendam passengers in St. George's must be discussed. Due to a "possible" security concern, we were forced to wait for more than 3 hours in the heat and blazing sun while Bermudian officials (police, customs agents, sniffing dogs, marine divers, etc.) loaded, unloaded, searched, and researched the ferry being used to shuttle us between the port and ship. The tent that was provided, was inadaquate and offered shade to only a portion of the crowd. The group contained many children, elderly and physically challenged passengers. While there were 2 HAL employees serving water, we weren't offered any information or reassurance that we would be returned to the ship in a timely fashion. When the seriousness of the situation for the elderly was finally recognized, they were given special consideration and allowed to go to the front of the waiting crowd. Sadly, they were then herded into a group that was forced to stand in the direct sun and extreme heat for over 45min. Needless to say, I was frantic with worry and concern for my 86 y/o mother who was in that group. While the Bermuda government has taken responsibility for the episode, I believe that HAL should have advocated for us since we were forced to use the Bermuda ferry system rather than the ship's tenders. It was a frightening experience and could have had disasterous results for many passengers. HAL's complimentary glass of champane at dinner was a kind gesture but inadaquate, in my opinion.

Do not miss the wonderful entertainers aboard this ship. The very talented singers, comedian, and dancers on the Veendam (Brad, Adrianne, Andrew, Krystal, Ejay, and Joe) were amazing. While we enjoyed the shows on the Westerdam last summer, the caliber of enterainment on the Veendam was far superior.

Following the advice of many fellow CC travelers, we brought our own snorkeling equipment, beach umbrella, and chair (for the 86 y/o mother!) Since we decided to use taxis, carrying the beach gear was easy and worth it to us.

The ease of driving from northern NJ to the pier in NYC was huge. Not having to fly added greatly to our vacation enjoyment.

Thanks for the review/info! We're sailing this Sunday and can't wait. So glad to hear more people saying A/C issues seem to be better than expected.

I have a question re: snorkeling. We're also bringing our own gear so that should open up the beach options for us. Which beaches did you snorkel and of those which would you recommend?

Sorry you had to experience the issue w/ the tenders. I trust the Bermudian officials won't let that happen again.

The unsatisfactory tendering experience that we shared with hundreds of other Veendam passengers in St. George's must be discussed. Due to a "possible" security concern, we were forced to wait for more than 3 hours in the heat and blazing sun while Bermudian officials (police, customs agents, sniffing dogs, marine divers, etc.) loaded, unloaded, searched, and researched the ferry being used to shuttle us between the port and ship. ............................

Pretty sure this is the first time we've heard about this one, "the possible security concern by Bermuda officials re: the ferry"

Since the proverbial "glass of champagne" by the Capt/HM was offered at dinner, that is usually accompanied by a letter with add'l info. Is ther anyway you can add some more details as to what took place on that pier that caused the concern by the Bermudians? Thanks! Sounds like a possible bomb threat on the ferry

Since we were traveling with my elderly mother, we chose beaches that had restrooms available. We went to Tobacco Bay when docked at St. George's and found the snorkeling to be surprisingly good. Though the beach is rocky (doesn't hold a candle to the beautiful Horseshoe Bay) the location made it an easy taxi ride from the ferry dock. If possible, bring along your own beach umbrella and fold up chairs. They saved us $$ and disappointment since the supply was very limited at Tobacco Bay. Surprisingly, the fish sandwiches we bought there for lunch were yummy!

While in Hamilton, we only went to Horseshoe Bay to swim and snorkel. On the last 2 days, the surf became a little rough which limited our snorkeling. Despite that, we were surprised by how good the snorkeling was right there, on the right side of the beach.

The taxi ride to Tobacco Bay, with tip was about $15, I think. The trip to Horseshoe Bay was $25 or less but worth every penny!

Pretty sure this is the first time we've heard about this one, "the possible security concern by Bermuda officials re: the ferry"

Since the proverbial "glass of champagne" by the Capt/HM was offered at dinner, that is usually accompanied by a letter with add'l info. Is ther anyway you can add some more details as to what took place on that pier that caused the concern by the Bermudians? Thanks! Sounds like a possible bomb threat on the ferry

Here is a link to a news report of the incident:

http://bernews.com/2010/08/police-no-gun-at-cruise-terminal/

We were on that cruise as well. We came back for the 4:30 shuttle and saw the 2:30 hadn't left yet - at that point we went to a nearby restaurant for appetizers and drinks, and waited it out. I felt bad for the elderly passengers that had to wait, but was also surprised at how many passengers chose to stay near the dock and not explore St. George some more.

We were on that cruise as well. We came back for the 4:30 shuttle and saw the 2:30 hadn't left yet - at that point we went to a nearby restaurant for appetizers and drinks, and waited it out. I felt bad for the elderly passengers that had to wait, but was also surprised at how many passengers chose to stay near the dock and not explore St. George some more.

Thanks a bunch for the link and added info!:) That certainly explains the reason behind the non-routine tender operation on that day and time as described by the OP

Many thanks for the link!

Archived