Millennium Mayfair Hotel in Grosvenor Square?

June Bug

Anyone ever stay here? Princess is recommending this for our cruise in late June. The website makes it appear to be just beautiful...and it has a/c!

We previously stayed in London at the Strand Palace Hotel. Very nice hotel, moderately priced but it never occurred to us to see about a/c. We slept with the windows open and it was comfortable, but not great.

So just wondering what anyone can tell me about the Millennium Mayfair Grosvenor Square. How is this location? How is the hotel?

Thanks a bunch!

June

We previously stayed in London at the Strand Palace Hotel. Very nice hotel ...
If you thought that the Strand Palace was nice, then I suspect that you won't be easily disappointed. Or else you were lucky with your room - most people I know who've stayed there regard the place as a God-forsaken dump!

Grosvenor Square is really good for getting to the shops on Oxford Street and Bond Street, and Hyde Park - but it'll be quite a hike to the main parts of the West End. You'll probably need taxis (or to take the Tube) for the main tourist sights.

I couldn't reliably say anything about this particular hotel, although the Millennium that I have stayed at in NYC would rate a 6 or 7 in my book (it used to be a top of the range Park Hyatt but the changing world has meant that it's had to change format several times now). If the one in London has standards that are anything remotely comparable to that one, it's bound to be streets ahead of the Strand Palace, by all accounts.

We stayed at that hotel a few years ago when my husbands company sent him to London on business. At that time the hotel was just beautifully furnished, and had a huge marble bathroom with a terrific shower and very large soaking tub. The food at the restaurant was very good, and the staff was very helpful. We walked to Oxford St to do some shopping and just took cabs from the hotel everywhere else. Have a fabulous time!

Globaliser...I wasn't sure whether I should be put off by your remarks or not. There appeared to be a certain tone to them, whether intentional or not. Hope it was 'not'. While the Strand Palace Hotel wasn't at the top of my list of hotels I have stayed in around the world....I would never have referred to it as a "dump". Our rooms were just great. And the service there was better than some finer hotels I have stayed at. In fact, I would actually stay at this hotel again at the right time of year. The rooms were nicely furnished and the bathrooms were really nice sized. It was a great start to a vacation...one of the last I got to spend with my sister, just before she died. I will always cherish my time in London with her! Maybe that is another reason the Strand Palace has a special place in my heart. Just wanting a reference point as to compare the two hotels...but since you haven't stayed at this particular Millennium Hotel, I will hope that others comments will be helpful in my decision. I thank you all for your input.

June

Globaliser...I wasn't sure whether I should be put off by your remarks or not. There appeared to be a certain tone to them, whether intentional or not. Hope it was 'not'.
Sorry, it certainly wasn't. I have to declare my sources in that I haven't stayed in either place, but I am reporting what more than one person has said to me. In addition, my former travel agent worked in a shop located in the corner of the hotel fronting the Strand (the shop is still there, although she no longer works there) and the state of the hotel was a source of regular comment.

FWIW, therefore, I can only offer comments based on comparing my personal knowledge of the standard of another Millennium hotel against a number of reports about the Strand Palace - and based on my knowledge of where they each are. It's possible that the Strand Palace has been refurbished or improved since the last time I heard about it - I simply don't know one way or the other. But if you bear all those things in mind, I do stand by my earlier view - if you were happy with the Strand Palace, which hasn't had particularly good press, I think that you're likely to find that the Millennium is streets ahead in terms of quality, although its location is less convenient for the West End.

Archived