What happens if 1 passenger doesn't show?

OutSyder

This makes no sense. They already received payment for both passengers, and don't have to refund anyone. Why would they then add on a surcharge?
Because it's assumed that the passenger having to cancel has insurance and will be compensated. Whether you book through the cruiseline or a TA, you have the opportunity to purchase insurance for just this reason. If someone forgets or opts out, then it's the customer's problem. The cruiseline has no way of knowing whether or not the passenger has insurance.

One question I have is whether the person remaining in the cabin and being charged the single rate is able to claim that expense with their insurance.

Because it's assumed that the passenger having to cancel has insurance and will be compensated. Whether you book through the cruiseline or a TA, you have the opportunity to purchase insurance for just this reason. If someone forgets or opts out, then it's the customer's problem. The cruiseline has no way of knowing whether or not the passenger has insurance.

One question I have is whether the person remaining in the cabin and being charged the single rate is able to claim that expense with their insurance.

Except... the insurance payout has nothing to do with the cruise line. They already got their money. The insurance company doesn't make THEM pay it back, right? This sounds really fishy to me too.

If you have Princess Vacation Protection, this should be covered. It provides in Section 1, Part A that you are covered for "the additional costs You may incur as a result of a change in the per-person occupancy rate of prepaid travel arrangements if a Traveling Companion cancels his/her Cruise/Cruisetour Vacation for a covered reason and you do not cancel." (Emphasis supplied.) Of course, Princess self underwrites this coverage (as compared to the coverage for medivac/medical expenses/baggage protection, which is underwritten by Virginia Surety). So Princess is basically agreeing not to collect from itself in this situation.

OK, from what I have read there is no clear response.

What if the second person "misses" the boat and it would be to costly to catch up at a future port?

It is REALLY sad there isn't a standard answer.

If you have Princess Vacation Protection, this should be covered. It provides in Section 1, Part A that you are covered for "the additional costs You may incur as a result of a change in the per-person occupancy rate of prepaid travel arrangements if a Traveling Companion cancels his/her Cruise/Cruisetour Vacation for a covered reason and you do not cancel." (Emphasis supplied.) Of course, Princess self underwrites this coverage (as compared to the coverage for medivac/medical expenses/baggage protection, which is underwritten by Virginia Surety). So Princess is basically agreeing not to collect from itself in this situation.
Thanks! Wow! I learn something new every day. :)

Your quote is from the Insurance Company not from Princess. So your last sentence (underlined by me) is not accurate. Princess get the $$ from the Insurance Company. Princess does not underwrite the coverage itself.

Your quote is from the Insurance Company not from Princess. So your last sentence (underlined by me) is not accurate. Princess get the $$ from the Insurance Company. Princess does not underwrite the coverage itself.

I'm looking at the description on the Princess website: http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

Notice that the insurance is divided into Section I coverage and Section 2 coverage. Section 1 is Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay and Section 2 is Medical Protection and Baggage Protection. Section 1 is "provided by Princess Cruises" and Section 2 is underwritten by Virginia Surety Co.

You are absolutely correct! My error. Thanks for being polite in your response.

I'm looking at the description on the Princess website: http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

Notice that the insurance is divided into Section I coverage and Section 2 coverage. Section 1 is Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay and Section 2 is Medical Protection and Baggage Protection. Section 1 is "provided by Princess Cruises" and Section 2 is underwritten by Virginia Surety Co.

I am hoping Pam in CA can answer this for me. We are booked on a cruise and my Aunt has booked a cabin also, hoping to get a friend to join her. It does not look as though that will happen. I know I have seen on here where you have talked about single supplemnts. My question is: What will her fair be? Double the original fair, 1-1/2 the original fair, and what about port fees and taxes, are they also double?

I am hoping Pam in CA can answer this for me. We are booked on a cruise and my Aunt has booked a cabin also, hoping to get a friend to join her. It does not look as though that will happen. I know I have seen on here where you have talked about single supplemnts. My question is: What will her fair be? Double the original fair, 1-1/2 the original fair, and what about port fees and taxes, are they also double?

The single supplement can range from 200% down. There's no way to tell you for sure; it all depends on what the current fare is. Here's what I've noticed, bu this is purely anecdotal and may not be true across the board: If she's booking/paying "brochure rate," it'll be a lower supplement, whereas the supplement on discounted or "sale" fares tends to be more like 200%. This is something you'll need to ask of your TA who can price it out properly for you. She'll only pay the port fees/taxes for one person, and of course, only one person's autotips. Good luck!

Generally speaking, if she's booking an inside or oceanview cabin, the supplement will be 150 - 180% of the per-person fare. It all depends on the ship and the cruise. For a balcony, count on paying 200%. You don't pay the 2nd port and government fees. Every now and then, I've seen quotes for a single for more than 200%, and very rarely, less than 150% (for non-balcony cabin.)

A good discount TA will almost always get you a better price than booking directly with Princess so check around for a TA offering group rates.

Just encountered this situation, I will attempt to explain it as simply as I can . . .

For starters, here is Princess' cancellation schedule:

Cancellation Fee

Cruises 5 days or less

Non-Holiday 6 - 29 Days

Holiday*

up to 29 days

30-day+ sailings including World Cruise & segments

Items Assessed

None 60+ Days 75+ Days 90+ Days 120+ Days None Deposit 59-43 Days 74-57 Days 89-64 Days 119-90 Days Cruise Fare & PVP 50% of Total Charges 42-29 Days 56-29 Days 63-43 Days 89-64 Days All Items 75% of Total Charges 28-15 Days 28-15 Days 42-22 Days 63-43 Days All Items 100% of Total Charges Within 14 Days Within 14 Days Within 21 Days Within 42 Days All Items

SCENARIO #1
: If a cancellation was made 50 days before the sail date on a 7 day non-holiday cruise, then the passenger is entitled to half of their total fare.

Therefore, if each passenger paid $1,000 total, then the canceling party is entitled to a $500 refund (if they purchase vacation protection, they would file a claim for the remainder). The remaining passenger has a $500.00 credit toward the single supplement cost and would then be responsible for any balance due.

SCENARIO #2
: If the second passenger cancels within 14 days of the cruise, then no additional balance would be required of the passenger that remains on the cruise.

SCENARIO #3
: If you are canceling and replacing a passenger on a booking, there is no surcharge or penalty unless hotels/transfers/vacation protection were purchased, then those amounts may be forfeit (outside of 14 days prior, you can cancel transfers without penalty). A travel agent may have their own change fees, but that may vary.

I hope I have not overcomplicated this . . .

Just encountered this situation, I will attempt to explain it as simply as I can . . .

For starters, here is Princess' cancellation schedule:

SEE BELOW

SCENARIO #1
: If a cancellation was made 50 days before the sail date on a 7 day non-holiday cruise, then the passenger is entitled to half of their total fare.

Therefore, if each passenger paid $1,000 total, then the canceling party is entitled to a $500 refund (if they purchase vacation protection, they would file a claim for the remainder). The remaining passenger has a $500.00 credit toward the single supplement cost and would then be responsible for any balance due.

SCENARIO #2
: If the second passenger cancels within 14 days of the cruise, then no additional balance would be required of the passenger that remains on the cruise.

SCENARIO #3
: If you are canceling and replacing a passenger on a booking, there is no surcharge or penalty unless hotels/transfers/vacation protection were purchased, then those amounts may be forfeit (outside of 14 days prior, you can cancel transfers without penalty). A travel agent may have their own change fees, but that may vary.

I hope I have not overcomplicated this . . .

Sorry, I am having difficulty with inputting the cancellation fee schedule properly without tables.

Here is part of it:

[font=Courier New]Cancellation Fee          Non-Holiday       Items Assessed[/font]
 [font=Courier New]                        (6 - 29 Days)[/font]
 [font=Courier New]None                    75+ Days             None [/font]
 [font=Courier New]Deposit                 74-57 Days           Cruise Fare & Vacation Protection[/font]
 [font=Courier New]50% of Total Charges    56-29 Days           All Items[/font]
 [font=Courier New]75% of Total Charges    28-15 Days           All Items[/font]
 [font=Courier New]100% of Total Charges   Within 14 Days       All Items[/font]

Well, I don't think you overcomplicated it, but I think you are wrong in scenario #1 and #2.

In #1, the cruiseline keeps $500 as a penalty, the remaining passengers gets re-fared and has to pay the full supplement cost. The cruiseline does not give the remaining passenger any of the penalty amount.

In #2, the cruiseline would re-fare the remaining passenger. In general, they re-fare if the cancellation occurs any time prior to sailing. If the 'cancellation' is the result of a no-show, then the remaining passenger often is not re-fared, but there are posts that stated they were re-fared at the pier (usually when stating that the other pax was not going to be coming). I don't recall any posts saying they were re-fared AFTER boarding, but that does not mean it did not happen.

Well, I don't think you overcomplicated it, but I think you are wrong in scenario #1 and #2.

In #1, the cruiseline keeps $500 as a penalty, the remaining passengers gets re-fared and has to pay the full supplement cost.

In #2, the cruiseline would re-fare the remaining passenger. In general, they re-fare if the cancellation occurs any time prior to sailing. If the 'cancellation' is the result of a no-show, then the remaining passenger often is not re-fared, but there are posts that stated they were re-fared at the pier (usually when stating that the other pax was not going to be coming). I don't recall any posts saying they were re-fared AFTER boarding, but that does not mean it did not happen.

Hi cherylandtk,

I have to beg to disagree . . .

The #1 scenario happened to my passenger yesterday, and while the amounts were not precisely what I stated, the principle is the same. The clients did not have air, transfers, hotel or vacation protection on the booking, so it was pretty straightforward. They lost 50% of their total fare. Remaining passenger paid about $575.00 more, not the full single supplement.

Princess Customer Relations acknowledged that had the passenger purchased PVP (where we could file a reimbursement claim), we could have actually waited until less than 14 days prior and the remaining passenger would have incurred NO additional cost.

No shows are an entirely different scenario.

Years back, one individual in our group had to cancel last-minute. At the terminal, they asked if we would like to upgrade to the singles fee for my room, or they could put a standby person in my room. Since I didn't have the extra money to cough up for the supplement, I decided to give it a shot and see what happened. Let's just say I contacted the cruise line's customer service (not princess) after the cruise and got my next trip with them gratis.

Years back, one individual in our group had to cancel last-minute. At the terminal, they asked if we would like to upgrade to the singles fee for my room, or they could put a standby person in my room. Since I didn't have the extra money to cough up for the supplement, I decided to give it a shot and see what happened. Let's just say I contacted the cruise line's customer service (not princess) after the cruise and got my next trip with them gratis.

Wow, does that mean that the cruise line (would love to know which line it was) put someone unknown to you in your cabin? How long ago was this?

Wow, does that mean that Princess put someone unknown to you in your cabin? How long ago was this?

Wasn't Princess, rather Premier in their heyday. They introduced us before I made the decision to go for it. Between spending time elsewhere on the ship and on excursions, we didn't get in each other's way too much, and we were both respectful to be quiet/considerate. Sorry, didn't mean to imply this was with princess, just an experience related to the post.

Wasn't Princess, rather Premier in their heyday. They introduced us before I made the decision to go for it. Between spending time elsewhere on the ship and on excursions, we didn't get in each other's way too much, and we were both respectful to be quiet/considerate. Sorry, didn't mean to imply this was with princess, just an experience related to the post.

Your situation almost sounds like an episode of The Love Boat ! :D

Hi cherylandtk,

I have to beg to disagree . . .

The #1 scenario happened to my passenger yesterday, and while the amounts were not precisely what I stated, the principle is the same. The clients did not have air, transfers, hotel or vacation protection on the booking, so it was pretty straightforward. They lost 50% of their total fare. Remaining passenger paid about $575.00 more, not the full single supplement.

Princess Customer Relations acknowledged that had the passenger purchased PVP (where we could file a reimbursement claim), we could have actually waited until less than 14 days prior and the remaining passenger would have incurred NO additional cost.

No shows are an entirely different scenario.

Well, I cannot argue with your personal experience, but can you clarify one thing? Did Princess actually credit the ~$500 forfeited by the cancelling passenger to the remaining passenger? So the additional amount due was actually $1075, but your passener only had to pay $575? Or was the total additional amount due $575 to begin with?

In #1, the cruiseline keeps $500 as a penalty, the remaining passengers gets re-fared and has to pay the full supplement cost. The cruiseline does not give the remaining passenger any of the penalty amount.

When I posted the same question as the OP a couple of months ago, I got two different replies from people who didn't tell the cruiseline beforehand, or at boarding, that their roommate wasn't coming. They were called down to the purser's desk during the cruise, told that they had been re-fared at the current single supplement rate, and either had to pay in cash or have it charged to their credit cared.

Thanks Donna, what cruiseline?

Princess.

I was facing the possibility that my mother, who was booked in the same room as myself, wouldn't be able to come at the last minute. So, like the OP, I posted a the question here on what would happen if she just didn't show up. Some people posted that nothing happened, and two people posted as I described above. I tried looking back in my posting history for the thread, but couldn't find it.

Archived