"Drop Everything and Go Bag". Top ten items

5326jan

I could probably get through a couple weeks with this, if I got a few extra toiletries along the way...I really ought to try it sometime rather than stuffing two or three bags to bursting!!

I know! I wish I were brave enough to just take ten things! I'm a "what if" packer... what if I spilled something, what if it rains, what if I don't have time to wash anything... you get the idea.

I'm also reluctant to use a white top if I know my clothes will be limited. On black, brown, prints, you don't notice a speck of something... on white, it becomes a neon sign of your clumsiness! :eek:

I always worry that I'll change my mind, or feel fat one day, or just want to wear something else, so I've never been brave enough to really pare it down.

As for the white, just wear it early on and if it gets stained...move on to the prints/other colors!!

I always worry that I'll change my mind, or feel fat one day, or just want to wear something else, so I've never been brave enough to really pare it down.

As for the white, just wear it early on and if it gets stained...move on to the prints/other colors!!

Is your jacket from Chicos? It sounds really nice!

I know! I wish I were brave enough to just take ten things! I'm a "what if" packer... what if I spilled something, what if it rains, what if I don't have time to wash anything... you get the idea.

I'm also reluctant to use a white top if I know my clothes will be limited. On black, brown, prints, you don't notice a speck of something... on white, it becomes a neon sign of your clumsiness! :eek:

I'm not a "what-if" packer at all. Although this 10 item list would be more difficult to deal with than a full suitcase, but I never pack extra clothing in case of spills, etc... I just take along a Tide To Go pen and will use the dry cleaners onboard the ship or at a hotel. I've also washed things out in the sink if I have to, no biggie it's only minutes out of your day. Does the pen need to be one of my 10 items?

But thinking about this 10 items has me interested in trying it next year for our northbound wine cruise. Of course, I'll not try to pack only 10 items with a couple formal nights and other evenings, but I think I may try to cut down way more than I usually do. I generally pack for 5 days/nights for a 7 night cruise.

Since we are flying one way, I think I may also use disposable toiletry items, so we won't have a 3-1-1 bag to deal with. It might be easier than I think, we are 7 nights on the cruise with 2 extra nights in Vancouver, travel sized toiletries will definitely be used up. The ship has a laundry room...I may be able to pull it off with only 4 days worth of clothing for night/day, including the clothing I wear onto the ship :)

Hey 5326jan -

The pinstripe/leopard jacket is from a few season ago from Carol Anderson by Invitation, a home show fashion company. Visit CAbionlinedotcom. Good quality, unique pieces, albeit kind of pricey. I have had two "shows" and, as hostess, have been able to purchase items totaling $1000+ for a couple hundred dollars after the hostess credits/discounts.

I also just made a KILLING at the Talbot's Outlet. Got $636 worth of items for $75 out the door - a summery pant suit plus two classic, wear-forever jackets. Never would have paid those retail prices, but what a great bargain!! I love to mix classics with unexpected extras like a cool top or interesting shoe. Love to get a deal like that!!!!!!!!

Hey 5326jan -

The pinstripe/leopard jacket is from a few season ago from Carol Anderson by Invitation, a home show fashion company. Visit CAbionlinedotcom. Good quality, unique pieces, albeit kind of pricey. I have had two "shows" and, as hostess, have been able to purchase items totaling $1000+ for a couple hundred dollars after the hostess credits/discounts.

I also just made a KILLING at the Talbot's Outlet. Got $636 worth of items for $75 out the door - a summery pant suit plus two classic, wear-forever jackets. Never would have paid those retail prices, but what a great bargain!! I love to mix classics with unexpected extras like a cool top or interesting shoe. Love to get a deal like that!!!!!!!!

I LOVE finding those bargains!! I don't care if something is "in/out of style"... within reason. If I like it and it fits, I am perfectly happy with last season's or year's stuff! Most of what I buy is classic style anyway and I love Talbots! My problem is that I can't stay the same size season in and season out. :rolleyes: I have about 3 wardrobes with varying sizes. I need to stop that, but I tend to gain weight in the summer when it's too hot to walk. My fall resolution is to get to a good weight and stay there.. wish me luck!

Once I get to a good weight I can take 10 things instead of 10 sizes!;)

• 3 years later...

1. One pair of well fitting black slacks

2. one white tee

3. one black tee

4 & 5 twinset in a solid color

6.comfortable leather shoes

7. Scarf which coordinates with black, white, and the solid color

8. quick dry underwear ( microfiber)

9. a comfortable bra

10. Long t-shirt ( for sleep)

I would wear dark- wash jeans, a top in a color that can later be worn complement the scarf, comfortable walking sandals, and a white denim jacket.

Not so hard. I can do without things without suffering. I'd make "things that show" a priority:

First, what to wear on the plane -- yeah, I'm wearing 13 items on the plane, so this may be cheating a bit:

- Dark jeans

- (2 items) Twin set in a dark color

- A decorative print scarf

- Comfortable walking shoes -- something like a ballet flat

- (2 items) Underwear and good, supportive bra -- both in thin material

- Dark socks in a thin material

- A hair clamp that'll make my hair into a bun

- A simple hat in a dark color

- A pair of small, simple gold or silver earrings that'll match everything

- A matching simple necklace

- Prescription glasses -- literally cannot go without them

In the suitcase:

1. My Vera Bradley mini-hipster over-the shoulder bag, which is a comfortable size for walking around town and has interior pockets to serve as a wallet; obviously, cash and credit cards are already in my handbag. It'll only take a moment to add my passport.

2. SmartPhone -- okay, I don't actually own a SmartPhone, but we're playing, right? This would be useful for communication, would allow internet access, could hold my reading material, and could take photographs. And of course I'd have keyed in my flight and hotel confirmation #s.

3. A second pair of shoes -- if it's summer, a pair of wedge sandals; OR if it's winter, a pair of to-the-knee boots with a 1" heel. Either one would be in a simple, dark color. I'd consider this one of the most important items. I assume we'll be walking quite a bit, and being able to switch to a second pair of shoes is absolutely necessary.

4. A tube of BB Cream or tinted moisturizer. This'll serve as foundation make-up, which I need to cover my Roseacea, and although it isn't as good as my usual moisturizer, it'll do for a week. I can do without other make-up.

Okay, that's four items (plus what I'm already wearing), and I've covered the basics, so I can choose six items of clothing:

5. A knee-length solid knit dress, which would pair with the print scarf from the plane and the ballet flats; this would be acceptable (if not top-notch) for an evening at a nice restaurant.

6 and 7. Two knee-length print knit dresses. One in a "serious" print, the other in a "fun" print. Both could be chosen to match the cardigan I wore on the plane. Both could be worn with the wedge sandals or with the ballet flats from the plane. I feel "put together" in a pretty dress, and a dress is only one piece for a whole outfit.

8. A dressy top (in a print) to match the jeans I wore on the plane.

9 and 10. A pair of dark yoga pants and a nice matching long-sleeved tee. This'd be my something comfortable to wear in the hotel in the evenings. I wouldn't wear this "out", but it'd be something I could throw on to go downstairs to the hotel desk or to run around the corner to the drug store. The weak point in this outfit is that I'd have to wear it with the ballet flats from the plane, but it'd be acceptable.

We're talking about being gone a week, right? So I could wear:

Saturday - jeans and twin set on plane

Sunday - Solid dress

Monday - Print dress 1

Tuesday - Jeans and dressy top

Wednesday - Print dress 2

Thursday - Print dress 1, repeated

Friday - Print dress 2, repeated

Saturday - Yoga pants and tee for comfort on the plane

The solid dress and the tee from the plane-flight twin set were only worn once, so they could be "held in reserve" as a back-up if I had a spill on one of the other items.

Most of the items are in a print so that they won't show a bit of dirt or a spill.

The hardest working item would be the cardigan, which could be repeated with any of the outfits.

If I'm visiting any churches where women are expected to cover their heads, I'd have the hat or the scarf.

Except for the tinted moisturizer, I didn't pack any toiletries. I'd make a stop at a drug store and pick up what I need. In fact, I could let the tinted moisturizer go 'til I arrive, and that'd allow me a second cardigan or a second dressy top . . . but you can't always count on finding the right tinted moisturizer. What I'd actually do -- if this weren't a 30-minute packing challenge -- is order the items I like from Amazon.com and have a package waiting for me at the hotel.

Realistically, though, my toiletries /make-up bag is always packed; when I return from a trip, I always refurbish its contents before returning it to its spot in the bathroom closet. So, realistically, the whole bag would take no more packing time than the one tube of tinted moisturizer.

Without a curling iron, my hair won't be at its best, but if I use the hotel blow-dryer and the styling gel I'll pick up at the drug store, it'll be fine. And I have the hair clip that I wore on the plane, the scarf to use as a headband, and the simple-but-dressy hat.

I didn't pack any undies or bras. I purposefully chose the thin-material items so I could give them a quick wash in the sink each evening. This'll get old, but we're not talking about ideal situations here. Again, being realistic, if I have these dresses clean and ready to go in my closet, I probably have a drawer full of clean underwear and bras, and it would only take a few seconds to pick up a handful of them. They're not time or space consuming.

I didn't pack a nightgown. I'm assuming it's just me and my husband, so I'll wear the yoga pants /fitted tee around the room in the evenings, and I'll sleep in the nude. I'd rather use my allotment for daytime wear, and I promise he won't mind.

I'm assuming that we're going to be in the city. I'm imagining museums, tourist attractions . . . not beaches. If beaches were planned, I'd have to have a suit and a cover-up. If we're near the beach, I assume it's a casual type of town, so I'd give up the solid dress . . . and I'd give up the fitted tee that goes with the yoga pants; instead, I'd make do with the tee from the twin set that I wore on the plane.

Finally, unless it's winter and I go with the knee boots, this would all fit in a large tote bag instead of the aforementioned 22" carry-on. The large tote bag could turn out to be handy around the city.

Interesting exercise! Here's what I have taken from my closet - first what I would wear on the plane:

- red knit jacket

- good quality white t-shirt

- black jersey pants

- red belt

- red/black/white scarf

- silver Kameleon necklace, earrings and bracelet

- black Ecco shoes

And here's what I would pack to mix and match all week:

1. make-up

2. underwear

3 black and white stripe t-shirt

4. white long sleeve shirt

5. black knee length knit dress

6. black pencil skirt

7. black jeans

8. plain white long t-shirt (can double as sleep shirt)

9. black/white/grey pashmina

10. medium heel black shoes

I always carry my camera/phone/electronics, extra Kameleon gems and a small cross-body bag in my travel purse, so would not have to waste space in my carry-on.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have come up with:

1. Grey Tshirt dress

2. dark wash jeans

3. white dress Tshirt

4. one more Tshirt of another color (depends on season and my mood)

5. sleep shirt

6. One of my cool belts that can be worn with the jeans or the Tshirt dress

7. One of my many scarves - it depends on my mood which one will come along

8. extra pair of undies (alternate washings)

9. extra bra

10. umbrella

In my other bag that I take onboard with me, I have my toiletries bag, my contact solution, my sunglasses, my Kindle (gotta have reading material), passport, Euros, wallet with 2 credit cards. I'm wearing my one pair of shoes that will get me through, my jeans jacket, and a white button-down long shirt and black leggings.

Anything else I need, I can buy. That's kind of my mantra when I travel, anyway ;)

That was me, three years ago. Not much has changed! My grey Tshirt dress is replaced by my black LTBD. The extra Tshirt can be there, or replaced by a long sleeve shirt, depending on the season. I can do without the umbrella - I can buy it if I need it (but I do have quite a collection of umbrellas due to just this!!!). I guess I could add a layering sweater instead. My traveling clothes would have a change from leggings to one of my pairs of Athleta pants. My Kindle is now replaced by my iPad Mini.

Kind of fun to see that my choices have stayed pretty static... Anyone else go back over what they wrote and want to change anything???

I've not tried to pack only 10 items, but I have found that packing for 4 nights/days actually works very well for me.

I still can't do with only a carry on bag, but my checked bag has gotten way lighter and smaller. My DVD player has been replaced by an iPod, I don't carry any books, only my Kindle. Most everything else is the same.

I think a whole lot of people are scaling down, the Fashion and Beauty board used to be all about overpacking and overbuying clothes, shoes and accessories. I remember women discussing packing more than 10 pair of evening shoes for a 7 night. Then, they would add another 7-10 pair for day wear!

Easy,

Black jeans (nice ones)

Black capri's

4 silk shirt/caftan (various color and pattern) takes up no more room than a scarf to wear over V neck top of either color

Black sleeveless v neck top

1 pr black dressy sandals

1 pr of comfy black sandals

2 bra's 5 panties (don't take up much room)

I pack a few pieces of jewelry

That will do, now I wear,

White jeans (well fitting and neat)

white v neck top w/pretty sweater over

socks and sneakers

Bold jewelry

Bra and undies of course.. lol

Should be plenty of room in handbag for makeup/beauty stuff. I can be packed in 15 minutes.

All the freshness each day is in the changing of the overblouse/top and mix and match seperates. Tops are either Kimono sleeved and either open front or pull over, all 4 won't take up any space. I love to dress like this

Should be good for a two week trip.

Easy,

Black jeans (nice ones)

Black capri's

4 silk shirt/caftan (various color and pattern) takes up no more room than a scarf to wear over V neck top of either color

Black sleeveless v neck top

1 pr black dressy sandals

1 pr of comfy black sandals

2 bra's 5 panties (don't take up much room)

I pack a few pieces of jewelry

That will do, now I wear,

White jeans (well fitting and neat)

white v neck top w/pretty sweater over

socks and sneakers

Bold jewelry

Bra and undies of course.. lol

Should be plenty of room in handbag for makeup/beauty stuff. I can be packed in 15 minutes.

All the freshness each day is in the changing of the overblouse/top and mix and match seperates. Tops are either Kimono sleeved and either open front or pull over, all 4 won't take up any space. I love to dress like this

Should be good for a two week trip.

bzzzzzt. I counted more than 10 items up there!!!!! More like 18... ;)

Archived