Dining in Marseilles and Provence

JaneBP

Planning a day trip outside of Marseilles, with a car and driver. Looking for a restaurant within 2 hours of the port, preferably in the Luberon area, but will take all suggestions. Doesn't have to be fancy. We dock on a Wednesday and apparently it's a popular day for restaurant closures. Thanks!

Well, you got me with the "it doesn't have to be fancy!" We visited France last Oct and stayed in Roussillon for a few days. We had fancy French meals, but most of those were in Burgundy or the Loire - we went low key in Provence.

We liked this little Brasserie in Roussillon. It is small, not fancy - kind of like a local dive, but the food was hearty country food and you get a free drink of the local spirits after your dinner. We remember this place fondly. It's the one on the right of Le Bistrot - the town is small, you can't miss it.

IMG_5711.JPG

Also, if you go to Isle Sur La Sorgue, there are lots of lovely cafes right on the waterfront there. See below:

IMG_5845.JPG

If you're hiring a driver, I highly recommend checking out Roussillion, Isle Sur La Sorgue and Gordes. Enjoy your trip!

Planning a day trip outside of Marseilles, with a car and driver. Looking for a restaurant within 2 hours of the port, preferably in the Luberon area, but will take all suggestions. Doesn't have to be fancy. We dock on a Wednesday and apparently it's a popular day for restaurant closures. Thanks!

You have lots of great options in France. Here are several options to consider, depending on your interests and budgets. The great news is that most any place will be very good to great to excellent. It's hard to have a bad meal in France!!

One secret is to do some asking where you are staying and/or of others you meet there for their local suggestions. Then apply the eyeball test! If it looks touristy and the people sitting there (or the staff) are bored and uninterested, then that place probably should be avoided. If it looks like there are locals there and/or they are enjoying it, then it will probably be very good. Or maybe even better!

Here's a good "balancing suggestion" for saving your dining budget. Grab your lunch at one of the many bakeries/boulangerie/patisserie shops. Most are very cute and wonderful. Great breads! Get a sandwich, pastry, drink. Maybe some cheese. Other nice fresh things. Maybe spend only $4-5-6 a person. Eat in a park area or bench in a cute village or the country side. Like a little picnic! Saves money and time during a busy day. Allows a little more budget for dinner in the evening.

LES BAUX is a very neat medieval village with great views that has no major population now, but tourist flock to soak up its history and great views. You should dine right near there at L'Oustau de Beaumaniere for ONE OF THE BEST MEALS YOU CAN HAVE IN FRANCE (lunch is more affordable).

Below are some market pictures in Provence. You can pick up a nice sampling of foods and goods at these markets. It is great people-watching territory, too!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here’s a sampling of the fun at a market day in Provence:

ProvMarketShopping.jpg

ProvCheeseMarket.jpg

Well, my favorite small restaurant in Provence is Les Florets in Gigondas, but alas Mercredi!

If you go to Avignon you could try La Fourchette, it is in the walled city and close the the Palais du Papes.

If you check the Michelin Guide, I would opt for one star, great food and a bit less fuss. Two and Three star restaurants will be destinations, period. The only reason on a day trip to go them is to go to them, 2-3 hours for lunch type places. At a one star you might have time to see the city/village wherein they lie.

Aix en Provence has many good bistros, and some so so ones, use the advice above to help sort them out. We have had many good meals in Aix.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Terry, we'll be on the Legend, and the Marseilles port stop is the longest, so more time to explore. We are trying to avoid the more popular cities, having seen them already. However, one can never see everything , of that I am aware. I am sure, no matter where we end up, it will be delicious!

Since we are talking about France and Food..

I heard a review of this on NPR and downloaded it right away. It's very good. Also reviewed today in the NYT. 'The Hundred-Foot Journey.

http://www.amazon.com/Hundred-Foot-Journey-Novel-Richard-Morais/dp/1439165645/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1281891901&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Thanks for all the suggestions. Terry, we'll be on the Legend, and the Marseilles port stop is the longest, so more time to explore. We are trying to avoid the more popular cities, having seen them already. However, one can never see everything , of that I am aware. I am sure, no matter where we end up, it will be delicious!

Hi, again, Jane! Here's more on the place where we dining in the scenic Les Baux area. Their website is:

http://www.oustaudebaumaniere.com

This is a four-star Relais & Chateaux resort that has hosted Queen Elizabeth and celebrities such as Jean Reno, Hugh Grant, Bono and Johnny Depp. During its sixty-year history, people have visited this site in the heart of Les Alpilles mountains, minutes from Arles, Avignon and Saint Rémy de Provence. It is one of the few places in southern France to have received two stars from Michelin for top dining.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

Here’s a little more on Les Baux and its wonderful dining palace right nearby at L'Oustau de Beaumaniere. This is the outside of its building and also how they prepared our seafood dining delight in a pastry shaped fish. Cute and very good, too!

ProvenceLeBeauxDinning.jpg

ProvenceLeBauxMeal.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Again, Terry, I love all of your pictures. Here's a link to dining in the Luberon region. Our plans are undecided as yet, and may remain so until we are in the car.

THANKS, Jane, for the nice comments on my pictures! Have lots more. Let me know any areas of special interest. YES, agree that just "winging it" on where and when you eat can work, also. You can apply the "eyeball" test and when you see "it", you'll know it. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived