A few questions on Capri.

jealdaka

I am trying to find out more information on the chair lifts and the funicular on Capri. Can someone better explain where each one goes - from what point to what point? We plan to take a boat tour around the island when we first arrive and then I go to Anacapri and the gardens but I'm having trouble putting these in order and deciding which transportation to use when. Is there a weight limit on the chair lifts? We can fill in with taxis wherever needed.

Happy to oblige. The funicular takes you from the port (Marina Grande) up to Capri Town. The chair lift (these are single chairs) runs from Anacapri up to the top of Mt Solara which is at the top of the island and has fantastic views. There is a small snack bar (and rest rooms) at the top and a good viewing area. IMHO the chair lift is one of the great bargains in Europe although its not a good idea if you are afraid of heights. You need to allow about an hour (round trip) to do this from Anacapri.

Hank

Happy to oblige. The funicular takes you from the port (Marina Grande) up to Capri Town. The chair lift (these are single chairs) runs from Anacapri up to the top of Mt Solara which is at the top of the island and has fantastic views. There is a small snack bar (and rest rooms) at the top and a good viewing area. IMHO the chair lift is one of the great bargains in Europe although its not a good idea if you are afraid of heights. You need to allow about an hour (round trip) to do this from Anacapri.

Hank

Thanks Hank for this info, we are planning to do Capri in Oct. Where is the funicular to Capri Town when you get off the hydrofoil from Naples? Also, if we were to go up to Mt Solara on the chair lift from Anacapri do we come back down on the funicular from Capri town, then get on the chair lift in Anacapri? How high are we talking about on the chair lift?

When you get off the ferry, get your return tickets first and get the tickets for the funicular and the bus , you need 4 tickets per person. The entrance to the funicular is more or less accross the road in the middle of the parade of shops. You can look on Google maps and see the entrance. Take the funicular up to the town, then when you are ready, take a bus to the top. Then you get the chair lift.

When we were on Capri - it was soooo crowded that we gave up on the bus. The line was a mile long. We easily grabbed a cab which was great fun and well worth the money. The cabs are convertibles. We asked to go straight to Annacapri and the chairlift. No line there because everyone was still back at the bus stop. Had a wonderful lunch in Anacapri and walked along the cliff a little. Took a cab back down to Capri, walked through the town (crowded full of designer shops that you have in any major city), through the old abbey to the close up view of the rocks and then back down to the harbor via the funicular.- no line this time.

Honestly - why waste your time on the bus to save a couple of dollars with such beauty around. We would have wasted over an hour. Also, go directly to Anacapri and beat the crowds.

When you get off the ferry, get your return tickets first ...

Just FYI .. you can purchase your return ferry ticket at the same time you buy your ticket for the trip over to Capri. I don't recall their being any discount for purchasing the round-trip in advance ... but at least it's out of the way!

Thank you for all of the wonderful information. Just a couple more questions if you don't mind.

If we were to get a taxi for a short tour - maybe an hour or so - what would a normal price range be?

I am thinking that we will arrive via hydrofoil or jet boat and then take a short boat tour. After that either take the funicular to Capri town (or get a taxi if the lines are long and then do the funicular on the return) and shop a bit then take a taxi to Anacapri and visit St Michelle and the gardens of Augustus. How best to get to the gardens? My friend cannot walk very far. Maybe lunch in Anacapri. Any recommendations on a good casual (outdoor if nice weather) place to eat a light lunch? We hope to fit in the chairlifts as well. Is there a weight limit on those?

We took a convertible cab ride on Capri last summer.

I can't remember the exact price, thinking 40E per hr. What

ever the price was, we thought it was well worth it.

You'll love the views and the drivers are very informative.

We took a convertible cab ride on Capri last summer.

I can't remember the exact price, thinking 40E per hr. What

ever the price was, we thought it was well worth it.

You'll love the views and the drivers are very informative.

Hi,

Are these cabs located at the pier when you get off the hydrofoil? How do you arrange for hourly trips? Thank you.

You negotiate with the driver, I don't think the price is flexible but the length of time can be discussed. They stop

so you can take photo's and walks...so 1hr would be the min. We went late day(3ish) it was less crowded. When purchasing the ferry tickets to get to Capri, buy the return tickets at the same time. Take note of the schedule times for your return trip.

Archived