Stockholm Changing of the Guard - Worth your time?

I think this blog entry is a very accurate presentation of something that cruisers should consider. The crowds were so large that I spent much of my time trying to stand on a ledge on the side of the building to see it all and never really did see it very well. It's very nice, but consider if it's worth the time to you personally. There is so much to see in Stockholm, I would probably vote to spend the time doing other things on my next trip.

Al

I understand your point exactly. We did it last year and enjoyed it very much. Yes, they could have started it a lot sooner and not waste a lot of time on announcing things, and introducing people./ But, that said, once the 'ceremony' started there was plenty of excitement. We did not stay for the entire thing. Once the band started playing the theme from Rocky, we thought it was time to go. over all, we are glad we set the time aside to see it. It was a part of our experience in Stockholm.

I did notice that they are very strict with people who are sitting and even a bit over the line. They come around and sort of nastily tell you to shape up or ship out.

Here are a few of my pix and a short video

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1301.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1306.jpg

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1373.flv

Cheers

Len

I think this blog entry is a very accurate presentation of something that cruisers should consider. The crowds were so large that I spent much of my time trying to stand on a ledge on the side of the building to see it all and never really did see it very well. It's very nice, but consider if it's worth the time to you personally. There is so much to see in Stockholm, I would probably vote to spend the time doing other things on my next trip.

The question on crowds for the Stockholm Changing of the Guard is a good one. Our early August, 2008, visit threre was far different that what the above post mentions. We got there late, almost stumbling on the event. As the two pictures below show there were some people there, but not anything that was impossible or too crowded. It worked great for us. Much in this port, like others, can depend on how many ships are in port that day, other large groups there, etc. Go for it! Hopefully, it will work out well, as it did for us. I'm 6'2" tall, which also helps.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard:

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard involves this large band with their unique helmets:

9-StockholmMil.jpg

Just to say it again, the COG is great, but from a cruisers perspective (limited time) it might be good to think twice before putting that on the "must see/do" list while in Stockholm. It's 90 minutes to 2 hours if you want to really see it with a good view. And, you are standing around waiting for quite awhile. Is this what you want?

If you are in town a few days then, please, don't miss it. Hell, I would almost suggest the Ice Bar if you are in town a few days :cool:

Skål from Stockholm,

Al

I totally agree with Al_Frescoe. We did see the COG when we were in town, but it was more of an accident (right time, so we climbed onto ledge on the walls to watch, it was still very crowded). And there definitely is so much more--and better--to see when you have limited time. That said, we were there for 4 days, and we did manage the Ice Bar, too....

I totally agree with Al_Frescoe. We did see the COG when we were in town, but it was more of an accident (right time, so we climbed onto ledge on the walls to watch, it was still very crowded). And there definitely is so much more--and better--to see when you have limited time. That said, we were there for 4 days, and we did manage the Ice Bar, too....

Four days is plenty of time to see things like the Ice Bar. Hope you had a nice time.

I happened to be at the Royal Palace last night for a concert. I took extra notice of the guards on duty for the "evening shift". All I can say is YIKES! This particular guard looked about 15 years old and had his rifle casually resting in the pit of his arm with the barrel pointing out towards the people walking by. Fidgeting about and, well, looking like a typical teenager that wanted to be somewhere else. Very sloppy, in my opinion.

Al

Had a great time. Stockholm is a fabulous city, with so old and modern. I would come back anytime and stay for a while. I probably wouldn't watch the Changing of the Guard again, though.

Great summary point on Stockholm being BOTH . . . "so old and modern". Glad you had a wonderful time. Agree that, whether in London, Windsor Palace or Stockholm, that seeing the Changing of the Guard is nice, but not a must-do, every time. Lots to see and do in Stockholm. There are a great variety of activities and options there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We arrived about 5 min before the start (or supposed start) and were able to get a front row spot although it was off to the side. I thought it was kind of fun, but it was long. I really wanted to hear them play ABBA for the novelty factor. My husband though was miserable by then and was grumpy the rest of the day there. Lesson learned.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that some of the time estimates posted here seem a bit long. Like others, we more or less unexpectedly wandered into the COG; we were trying to get to the bookshop, and the area was roped off, so we just went off to the side and watched. This was just as the first troop of the relieving guard was marching into the area. From that point until the mounted band left the area was a half hour. That said, it was a long half hour, and we missed a lot because we were right up by the band horses, but I got some good pictures using the telephoto. The ceremony could stand some editing, but I'm glad that we saw it.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there on Thursday, September 2, 2010. We don't know what happened, but it was no fancy show. It was short and sweet with guards in regular Army uniforms---no music, no big show. There was an officer explaining in Swedish and heavily-accented English what the ceremony involves. At least we think that was what he was saying. All in all, it was no big deal. We were disappointed.

Paula

My partner and I spent 30 or 40 minutes watching the changing of the guard in late August 2010, and frankly, it seemed rather silly. The military discipline was sloppy, most of the participants looked like teenagers, and the band was no better than most high schools can field. It was good for a few chuckles, but if you have limited time, it's probably not worth it.

My partner and I spent 30 or 40 minutes watching the changing of the guard in late August 2010, and frankly, it seemed rather silly. The military discipline was sloppy, most of the participants looked like teenagers, and the band was no better than most high schools can field. It was good for a few chuckles, but if you have limited time, it's probably not worth it.

Don't know if you read the blog post I made, but teenagers and sloppy discipline go hand in hand in this case. Too bad.

Al

We were there on Thursday, September 2, 2010. We don't know what happened, but it was no fancy show. It was short and sweet with guards in regular Army uniforms---no music, no big show. There was an officer explaining in Swedish and heavily-accented English what the ceremony involves. At least we think that was what he was saying. All in all, it was no big deal. We were disappointed.

Paula

September is like the real end of the season, so I'm not surprised there was no "big show".

Al

Archived