Sea Sick?

Beach Mama3

Hi,

We are scheduled to sail Liberty on October 16th - so very excited! Our last cruise was RCI and it was a December sail - very rocky! :( People were sea sick everywhere you looked. I am hoping for calmer seas this time around, but in case we aren't so lucky, what do you use to avoid sea sickness? I have seen the patch behind the ear, the bracelette. I would prefer something that didn't make me drowsey. I have Gravol...

Any suggestions?

Hey Beach Mama - we are sailing with you!! I see you've made it over to the roll call!! Both my husband and I always take 1/2 rasberry flavored chewable Bonine each morning. I don't get drowsy from them and I've never been sea sick. I also start taking them one or two days before the cruise and at least two days after.

The poster above recommended ginger and I agree.

When I was a Flight Commander training potential USAF pilots they would often eat ginger cookies if they were having problems with motion sickness and it seemed to work fine. Any kind of meds would have grounded them.

:)

Just got back from the Liberty last week. I too get sea sick. I have discovered the relief band. It is really pricey but for me well worth it. I also take ginger root, two in the morning and two at night. This works for me. do a google on relief band you will get info on it. I swear by it. Also the Liberty is a really big ship and really smooth sailing, one day I found it a little rough but I was fine. Hope this helps.

Hello

Sorry to hear the motion bothers you. However as soon as you get on board go to the purser's desk and tell them that you get seasick and they will give you tablets (free) Take one every 12 hours and you will be fine. I got them on the last cruise for friends that were traveling with us and they loved it and could enjoy the cruise. Hope this helps.

If you like the taste of strong ginger try ginger flavored Altoids. A friend of mine swears by them for seasickness. I've never gotten seasick but they do work wonders at home for regular old queasiness. I love the taste but you have to like ginger. Kind of like a red hot cinammon candy only ginger flavor. They burn a bit. :p I always bring them with us on a cruise just in case along with some non-drowsy dramamine but so far have never needed either one.

Ginger gums works for me if I get that early feeling on queasy.

Gravol knocks me out (can't buy it here in the States that I have seen so most unless Canadian will not know what it is) I also take Bonine, pop one before going to bed starting two days before sailing and each night while on the ship.

This is something I worry about...I tend to get sick just being a passenger in a car going through the mountains.I plan on drinking so not sure about getting a real medication or patch. Heard that it shouldn't be mixed with alcohol. Might look into the band. I have taken bonine and it does work but hope it is strong enough.....

This is something I worry about...I tend to get sick just being a passenger in a car going through the mountains.I plan on drinking so not sure about getting a real medication or patch. Heard that it shouldn't be mixed with alcohol. Might look into the band. I have taken bonine and it does work but hope it is strong enough.....

Some people aren't bothered by the alcohol with them but good to be aware of. Dramamine and Bonine are antihistamines which can make you drowsy anyway. Mix them with alcohol and it can be worse. Also something to be aware of if you are on any type of antihistamine for allergies.

I too suffer from the sickness of the sea. :(

I start my vacation by taking a bonine the night before I cruise and then every 24 hours throughout the entire trip. Worked my last two cruises and had some pretty rough seas on the Liberty (I actually had to have my straight up martini in a rocks glass because the seas were so rough and I did not want to lose one precious drop!)

I get motion sickness too but I am able to take 1/2 of a Bonnie tablet at bedtime and I'm fine. I was praying that I wouldn't get seasick on our first cruise. When I first started cruising I took a full tablet each morning but then realized if I took 1/2 in the am and the other half at bedtime it worked better for me. The only time I have sea sick issues is at night and I believe it's because I'm a stomach sleeper. Now I've got it down to just that 1/2 tab at bedtime and no problems. I was able to enjoy a few drinks when I wanted them with no problems with the Bonnie. Enjoy your cruise :)

The little patch behind your ear is the LEAST recommended solution there is. In fact, the ship won't offer it and will try to talk you out of it. Also, it is highly recommended that if you are going to talk some sort of pill you should take it before you even get on the ship.

My boyfriend got horribly sick and the steward gave him some of the free pills. Along with everyone else in the doctor's office on the ship, they did not work and only made everyone vomit more. Clearly that is not the case for everyone, but I would not rely on them. He ended up getting a shot ( I forget what it was actually called) and within hours he felt fine and stayed well for the rest of the week. The best $80 he spent, so he says :)

This is just a personal experience, I know everyone reacts differently :)

Some natural remedies that have worked for me in the past to keep my stomach calm (I've only gotten queasy once & that was when we sailed into or around a hurricane on the Valor):

Peppermint (in a pinch, anything in the mint family will help calm your stomach); a couple of peppermint candies or spearmint/wintogreen lifesavers are always good to have on hand

Ginger

Lime--anything lime-scented; get a wedge of lime & squeeze it onto your hand or a tissue (cloth works best); if your stomach feels uneasy, sniff your hand or the tissue; the lime scent will chirk you right up. (got this tip on my first cruise from a stylist in the salon)

I always try natural remedies before breaking out the medications & so far, they've worked for me. :)

We have cruised twice in December and yes, both times were VERY rocky! We had a porthole room the last time we cruised in December and it was the only time I got really sick. It really was a very uncomfortable feeling.

We always take Dramamine ..but it makes me immensely sleepy, so I took nothing the last time we went after I seen that it wasn't rocky.

Hi,

We are scheduled to sail Liberty on October 16th - so very excited! Our last cruise was RCI and it was a December sail - very rocky! :( People were sea sick everywhere you looked. I am hoping for calmer seas this time around, but in case we aren't so lucky, what do you use to avoid sea sickness? I have seen the patch behind the ear, the bracelette. I would prefer something that didn't make me drowsey. I have Gravol...

Any suggestions?

Check with your MD to be sure, but I find that Bonine works great and does not make me sleepy.

Hi,

Any suggestions?

I use ginger. I like ginger because ...

1) It is not a drug (and it does not make you drowsy.

2) It works even after you start to feel sick (many of the drugs do not).

3) It is the only thing that worked on Mythbusters.

4) It works for me.

I like a product called Motion Eaze. I get really motion sick and I have used this product for the last 2 cruises. It is all natural and is safe for kids. I put a drop of oil behind my ear if I start to get quezzy and it instantly goes away. I don't get drowsy at all. For me it is a life saver! Here is the website:

http://motioneaze.com/

Let me know if anyone else finds it to be great!

Kim

I like a product called Motion Eaze. I get really motion sick and I have used this product for the last 2 cruises. It is all natural and is safe for kids. I put a drop of oil behind my ear if I start to get quezzy and it instantly goes away. I don't get drowsy at all. For me it is a life saver! Here is the website:

http://motioneaze.com/

Let me know if anyone else finds it to be great!

Kim

Thanks for sharing this! I'm going to order a bottle of it today for our next cruise. I love products that are natural such as this one. I'll report my results with it when I do my review :)

Archived