how many cases can you take from southampton

Roaming Rover

going to the fiords 21 august weather forecast not looking too good so may have to take winter and summer gear at this rate so thought we could just fill one case with jackets trainers and warm clothes do you still need summer gear do you think so could we take 3 cases

A couple joining QV at Southampton as we left her had 147 (One hundred and Forty Seven) cases and had booked a cabin JUST for the empty cases :mad::mad:

If you are Soton to Soton no restriction.

We had 6 when we did the World Cruise. It is ONLY when you are fly/cruise or cruise/fly where you are restricted.

Have a souper crooze

Mike

A couple joining QV at Southampton as we left her had 147 (One hundred and Forty Seven) cases and had booked a cabin JUST for the empty cases :mad::mad:

Mike

Thats one and half cases a day, even for a world cruise. Did they have a market stall on board?

Brian

We took 11 pieces of luggage for our world cruise and 6 for our 18 day Greenland/Icleands/fjords cruise.

Hmmmm- we do not own enough clothes to fill 11 cases - or even 6, come to that!! :p

We will be easy to recognise on Oriana and Arcadia - the ones who wear the same things, over and over and over again. I am certain that there will be MANY more like us - so we should all stick together. Barry

RumRat

While on the topic of clothes - we are finding this matter to be the worst part of planning/organising our WC. Mainly because, we live in a sub-tropical climate and being retired, our lifestyle is VERY casual - involving mostly camping excursions, gardening, shopping at the local Mall. :p Hence we do not have any winter clothes (for winter here, I have a pullover fleecy jumper which I put on if we go out at night - only for the very depths of winter though ), no semi-formal ( I last wore a suit about 20 years ago) and have never ever worn anything even remotely regarded as being "formal" (except my Mess Kit in the RAAF/RAN 20-40 years ago). We have also never been on a "resort style" holiday which lasts for 3 months!! :eek:

So - we have been buying clothes - formal, semi-formal, casual - you name it . So far it has probably cost as much as the cruise.:p Then we have to buy cases to put it all in. I was always aware that, although we would love to travel on a Cunard ship, we would never do so because of the clothes "problem" - and didn't really think about it too much when we booked with P&O UK as we have previously cruised with P&O Aus. (Cruising with Aus P&O is a fairly relaxed business- OV cruisers should think about cruising in Oz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiXunLT7Q4A)

Barry

Bazza.

I did not say this to boast in any respect, just to say that you can take as much as you like, and, for a world cruise, there will be some cooler ports of call which necessitate bulkier clothing, hence, probably 2 cases were taken up with this. You have to be prepared for all climates even though most of them should be sunny and warm. There are various degrees of warm as well.

Another case for toiletries and medicines. Another for all the home comfort things that we took, pillows just for starters took a great deal of room.

Same for our Greenland cruise which needed clothing for all weathers.

You will be surprised at how much you need for a world cruise, if you want it to be your home from home for 3 months or more.

Merlin7

I did not say this to boast in any respect,

Absolutely no thought on my part along those lines at all - and I understand your point.

We will be travelling Brisbane to Brisbane - so we could also take a larger number of cases ( if we had the clothes to fill them and the cases :p) -- EXCEPT we have nearly 3 weeks in the UK and will have to negotiate our way around by public transport to and from London. Wont be too bad I guess on the train and in a taxi in London - but still, we only have so many arms !! :D

We are restricting ourselves to 2 cases each - plus a suit carrier for me.

Barry

Fly cruises are the problem. Our baggage allowance is 20kg flying from Perth to LHR to board the Oriana in Southampton and 23 kg to fly from Sydney back to Perth. We are on the ship for 41 nights.

Although it is over 5 weeks till we depart, the cases have had trial runs and come in at around 20kg. We will use or dispose of the remaining toiletries and my husband will have disposed of the 2 bottles of duty free scotch so there should be room for a few little souvenirs.

Travellin' light - not easy but it can be done.

Liz

(going to the fiords 21 august weather forecast not looking too good so may have to take winter and summer gear at this rate so thought we could just fill one case with jackets trainers and warm clothes do you still need summer gear do you think so could we take 3 cases)

Hi, we've been to Norway a few times and have generally been lucky with the weather but just like here it can change quickly. We usually take a fleece each and a lightweight kagool, so if it is a particularly cold day just wear both and that should suffice. Otherwise just take the kagools ashore with you.

Have a great time.

Damian

Bergen and Stavanger, you are in the towns so normal footwear should suffice. Geiranger and Olden are small places out in the country so if you want to walk on country paths you would need walking shoes. If you have them take them with you, then you are prepared for any eventuallity. Same with clothes. Like the UK it might be hot and sunny, but then it maybe cold and wet. Bergen is apparently the wettest city in Europe and it rains 300 days a year although we have been lucky and its been dry when we were there.

Get up early for the sail into Geiranger. Very narrow fjord with high vertical rock face either side with waterfalls. Look for the Seven Sisters waterfalls about 3 miles from Geiranger, port side going in, starboard going out. However if you miss it you see it on the way out.

Brian

Merlin7

I did not say this to boast in any respect,

Absolutely no thought on my part along those lines at all - and I understand your point.

We will be travelling Brisbane to Brisbane - so we could also take a larger number of cases ( if we had the clothes to fill them and the cases :p) -- EXCEPT we have nearly 3 weeks in the UK and will have to negotiate our way around by public transport to and from London. Wont be too bad I guess on the train and in a taxi in London - but still, we only have so many arms !! :D

We are restricting ourselves to 2 cases each - plus a suit carrier for me.

Barry

Hi Bazza.

Taxis charge per case in the UK so best you keep to your 5 pieces of luggage.

Could you pop over and pack for me please?

Apologies if someone has already mentioned this, but although the number of pieces of luggage is not limited for cruise-only passengers, the weight of each piece is limited to avoid injury to luggage handlers. The weight is given in the information provided by P&O. I think it may be 23kg, but you'd better check the official info.

thanks damianG you sound like you did the right thing did you need heavy foot wear we are going on the oceana bergan stavanger olden and geiranger did you go to any of theses places

Brian has pretty much summed it up, we usually leave the walking boots at home and manage with heavy duty trainers (if you know what I mean - some retailers call them "Approach Shoes") but it depends on what you want to do.

Archived