Talent Show Question???

creeblee

Is carnival still doing the guest talent show where they imitate other stars like elton john, etc.?

Or have to gone back to the original talent show that isn't limited to singing?

I'm on the Fascination next week and would like to bring my guitar and perform.

Is carnival still doing the guest talent show where they imitate other stars like elton john, etc.?

Or have to gone back to the original talent show that isn't limited to singing?

I'm on the Fascination next week and would like to bring my guitar and perform.

All the 7 day cruises has "The Legends Show". (where stars are imitated)

A couple of 5 day cruises (like the Imagination and Elation) has "The Legends Show"

If I had to guess, I would say the Fascination still has the original talent show but that will only be on 5 day cruises....not the 4 day.

So if you are going to a 3 or 4 day cruise, they will not have it.

If it is a 5 day cruise, they probably will.

Ectasy does the talent show, where you can do any talent you want. .. on the 5 day.

Triumph 5 day had the talent show, not Legends .. again where you could do any talent.

Iv seen talent shows, not Legends on both ships I do 5 day cruises on.

Wow thank you for the quick replys. It's a 5 day cruise so I'll bring my guitar and take my chances.

Do be aware its against the rules to bring a musical instrument onboard without prior permission. You probably can ... but be prepared to take it back to your vehicle if they impose Carnival's rules.

Wow thank you for the quick replys. It's a 5 day cruise so I'll bring my guitar and take my chances.

Just watch for the announcement in the Fun Times and the time and location to sign up.

They usually take 6 acts. If more than 6 people sign up, they put everyone's name in a hat and draw. (no auditions or anything)

IF they do have to draw names and your name does not get drawn....ask the ACD handling it IF they can put you down as an alternate.....and then go sit in while they rehearse.

You would be amazed at the number of people who back out when it comes down to selecting a song at rehearsal......

You might call Carnival and confirm if you can bring it. If they say no and you flew it could be a problem or if you drove, you might not want to leave it in your car.

This is from the carnival FAQ's of items not allowed to be brought on board:

• Musical Instruments: Only if the guest is participating in a pre-approved ship performance.

From this link: http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_88#q-246

I've done both, legends and talent show. I like the talent show better because you can do whatever song you want. On the legends, you have to do the song that's in the production. If the song is one you can sing and it's in your key, you're in good shape.

If you are doing the talent show, you need to bring your own instrument if you play one. They will only loan out a piano on the Ecstasy. Don't know about other ships. I've seen people bring in their own acoustic guitar, but you might want to ask to be sure.

If you use recorded music, you need to bring your own CD. They will not loan out Karaoke disks.

You can also perform with the band backing you up if you choose a song they have in the book. You can look through the book. I'm not sure if they will use your sheet music. On the Ecstasy they had one saxaphone, keyboard, guitar, bass, and drums.

You can also do accapela if you choose to do so.

No lip synk and no rap. Not sure about hiphop.

On the Ecstasy, they take up to 8 acts.

The minimum age for the talent show is 16. My daughter tried at 15 and they turned her away. She performed on the Celebration before her retirement on a 5 night cruise I took her on for her 18th birthday. They have a list of songs if you don't bring your own music on CD and will not do it from your sheet music. They will lend you a mp3 player with the song so you can practice as well.

On longer cruises (8 or 9 day) they have both the talent show, and the "Legends" show. As stated above, if you wanted to perform, and don't make the cut, ask to sit in as an alternate. LOTS of people chicken out at the last moment! I too, agree, that the talent show is a lot more fun than the "Legends" show, simply because you aren't limited to certain songs. I personally, LOVE to do the talent show.

"SKY"

Be prepared with an alternative if they do not let you on with your guitar.

I think the reason is what if you were a horrible guitar player and insisted on playing it all over the ship and annoying other passengers.

Easier to just say no now.

Oh I"ll be prepared. Anyone who stands in my way...I'll melt their faces off too! But seriously, I've brought my guitar on two carnival cruises without any problem. I can't imagine why it would be a problem now.

The minimum age for the talent show is 16. My daughter tried at 15 and they turned her away. She performed on the Celebration before her retirement on a 5 night cruise I took her on for her 18th birthday. They have a list of songs if you don't bring your own music on CD and will not do it from your sheet music. They will lend you a mp3 player with the song so you can practice as well.
If I am not mistaken, they will only lend you the mp3 player to practice the song for the Legends Show. When you get to the rehearsal, you have to be ready to go. Know exaclty how the song and music go, and know the lyrics.But they really do their best to get your comfortable. The dancers are really nice to the performers and do their best for them.

For the talent show, you should already have your act ready. The only practice you get is the rehearsal. The band will work with you to get you and their music co-ordinated, if they are backing you up. They are really good at making you feel comfortable with your act. That's also where the soundman will learn what track you are using if bringing your own cd, and what your act will need in the way of mikes. For example, if your guitar needs to be miked. That will also get you familiar with the sound system, especially the monitors.

I think overall, both shows are really good and enjoyable experiences.

Also, if you ever sail with John Heald....(even on 7 day cruises) he squeezes in the Legends Show AND the Talent Show...BUT you must perform with the Stage Band. John does not allow "canned" accompaniments for the Talent Show.

Also, if you ever sail with John Heald....(even on 7 day cruises) he squeezes in the Legends Show AND the Talent Show...BUT you must perform with the Stage Band. John does not allow "canned" accompaniments for the Talent Show.
On the Legends show, that's a given. But in the talent show, that makes no sense because the Vegas style shows and the Legends shows, do include a lot of canned music, which the band plays along with, which includes a lot of the background vocals. Especially on the smaller ships where the bands are smaller.

On the Legends show, that's a given. But in the talent show, that makes no sense because the Vegas style shows and the Legends shows, do include a lot of canned music, which the band plays along with, which includes a lot of the background vocals. Especially on the smaller ships where the bands are smaller.

I agree completely. John and I had a long talk about this. Apparently it is a big deal to him to use the Stage Band. He said they have the musicians there...we should use them.

That's fine except for the fact that (at least on the Fantasy) their selection book was so limited.

I also pointed out to John that ALL the shows use canned music...all the band does is "fill work". At first I really don't think he believed me....so I said...at the next show...listen to all the trumphets. (there are no longer trumphets in the Stage Band)

I said I have no problem with the Stage band filling in with my canned music...just like they do for the shows....but to have the band only is ridiculous since their own shows don't do that.....

In years past, I have seen lots of instruments brought onboard......however, I do believe this is an area that Carnival has been forced to crack down on because of inconsiderate people.

Hopefully, you will not have an issue getting the guitar onboard BUT if you do, sadly it is because those that have come before you have not been respectful or considerate of the fact that the cabin walls are thin.

I was going to add that even though these are Carnival rules....

they may made exceptions on 5 day cruises because they know that people do like to perform in the talent show.....

I feel pretty confident that I will get my guitar onboard without any issue. And i will certainly not be one of those inconsiderate people.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. This has been by far my most succesful thread!:) All my others have never gotten past page 1. lol

Archived