Nice flower market from Monaco???

sasharocks

Your problem is that you will be in Monte Carlo on a Monday which is the day that the Nice Flower Market is not operating. However, on Mondays I believe they have an Antique Market at the same Cours Selaya location.

Hank

Your problem is that you will be in Monte Carlo on a Monday which is the day that the Nice Flower Market is not operating. However, on Mondays I believe they have an Antique Market at the same Cours Selaya location.

Hank

Thanks Hank, now I won't be rushing off like a headless chicken for no reason :)

flower market looks like extension of farmers market,flea market in old town area,,,nice to look at but not that big or interesting,,,love flowers but,,,,,if you re there anyways,,,do go by...lots of cafes and windowshopping near...just my opinion...Love Nice,,,was there 3 days last June...lots of scenic views,museums,etc...:)

Littlemiss,

The Nice Flower Market is quite famous in the region and very popular with locals as well as tourists. It is held most days (not Monday) in the Cours Saleya which is located in the old town part of Nice about a block from the seaside. This is more then just a Flower Market but is also an outdoor food market with lots of interesting regional products. More then forty years of international travel have taught us that you can tell a lot about regional culture by simply going to their various markets, and this is no exception! Much of the market does close-up by 1pm although a few venders do stick around during the afternoon. But, if you are on a cruise that is docking in Monte Carlo or tendering into Villefranche this is a fun thing to see and the cost of getting to the market is only 1 Euro (each way) assuming you use the local bus (Bus #100 is a good option from either Monte Carlo or Villefranche). The bus line ends at the Gare Routiere bus station (Nice's main bus terminal) which is located about 1 block from the inland side of the old town. If you are a fast walker, and do not get lost, you can walk from the bus station through the old town to the market in about 10 min (you will need to download or buy a decent street map to navigate the confusing streets in old town. As the previous poster said, the Cours Saleya also is surrounded by quite a few cafes and restaurants and most of these have really decent food at reasonable prices. We have been to both Nice and the region on many ocassions (including extended vacations where we rent an apartment) and never get tired of visiting the various markets which one can find throughout the week (each community has their own market days) except for Mondays which seems to be the off-day for most of the venders (Nice does have an antique market on Mondays). Most French will tell you that a major part of their culture revolves around food, cheese and wine and these markets are a good way to begin to understand this culture. The reality is that the French love markets and while they might spend a few hours a year in a museum they will usually spend several hours a week in the various markets.

Hank

Thanks for the info, Hank. It seems like an interesting place that I will want to check out. And I'm always up for a good cafe...I just visited Northwest France a month ago, and I'm ready for a crepe!:D

I was going to hire a guide to visit Eze, Monaco, Monte Carlo and Nice, but I've heard that it's very easy to manuver around this area. Is this true? I'm paranoid about not getting to see these places in my limited time if I don't hire a guide. (And I'm afraid I will get lost) Yet the tours I've seen so far are pricey. (Not sure that I want to go with a group of people...and my cruise isn't posting their tours as of yet, since it's too far away)

Let me ask you this...should I be brushing up on my French? Or do people speak English as well? I know that English is more prevalent in certain areas, but I'm not sure about this area. (Plus...I love to try out my French skills!--Which are limited) And...how far away is Villefranche from Nice?

Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Although we personally avoid tours and guides in most of Europe, for those that are paranoid about missing things perhaps a tour is a good thing. For us, we prefer to slow down and smell the roses. Some of the tours are like trying to see Washington DC, New York and Philadelphia in one day! However, it is a reasonable day to go to Nice, Monte Carlo and Eze in a day. Keep in mind that Monte Carlo is most of Monaco and there is little to see outside of Monte Carlo. In fact, some of us do not even like Monte Carlo and my DW can't get out of that place fast enough whenever we are in the region on a driving trip or cruise. Our favorite places are probably Nice and St Paul de Vence. As to Eze, if we happen to be in the neighborhood we do enjoy stopping to browse its shops and galleries and perhaps grabbing some lunch. As to French, my French is terrible (and the French like to tell me this at every opportunity) but fortunately, many folks in the south of France do speak some English. Just greet everyone with a smile and a "Bon Jour," do not forget your "Mercy" when appropriate and you will be fine. We have always found the French in this part of France to be extremely friendly and helpful. A quick story about my wife, who does speak much better French then moi. One day we were in a haute cuisine restaurant on the left bank of Paris and my wife carefully ordered her entire meal in French. When she was finished the waiter let out a big sigh and said, "Pardon Madame, but do you speak English?" My wife quickly answered "yes and asked why (I think she actually said "pourquoi." The waiter quickly responded "because your French is horrible!" Such is life in France and its part of the charm. Besides, the French are usually much tougher on the French Canadians. One Parisian once told us that the French Canadians cannot speak either French or English!

Hank

Thanks for the info, Hank! It's helpful!;)

Yes, I do understand that I'm trying to see a lot in one day. I would like to spend a good chunk of time at Eze, as this area intrigues me the most. Monaco and Monte Carlo...eh. I'd like to go see the sites, but I'm not as interested in the area as I am in Eze and Nice. Villefranche...I was thinking that if I did a tour, I'd get dropped off at the port early, then explore a little on my own.

Thanks for the info about French. I actually DO speak French, although it's not wonderful. I was in Paris, and Western France a month ago. In the West, very few people spoke English (not that I assumed...I liked trying my French), yet most people in Paris did speak English. So I was curious to know what the situation was like here in this region of France. (I guess I will start brushing up on my French!) Your response to the English / French would also help me decide whether or not to take a tour or try the area on my own.

Paris is a very unique place as the Parisions are unto themselves. It has been said that Parisians do not even like the French or themselves (lol). Many years ago we discovered that many in Paris would refuse to speak English even if they knew the language. A "Parlez vous Anglais" would get a quick "non." But, we then found if we spoke bad French the Parisans would quickly tire of hearing their beautiful language totally butchered and they would suddenly remember they knew some English. Paris is my wife's favorite city in the world and we have learned to love the city "despite the French."

Hank

I agree Hank. J'adore Paris. It's only been a month since I've been there, but I'm trying to determine a way I can go back soon.:) I know that a lot of people say that the French (Parisians especially) hate Americans...but I found them to be very friendly and helpful. Then again, I made an effort to speak the language and assimilate into their culture while I was there. I had a lovely time...especially speaking to other Parisians on the metro. Although the funny part is that no matter where I went, I seemed to run into Americans! (Descending the Eiffel Tower, waiting in line for the Catacombs, etc.) I guess it's not that strange, but I definitely wasn't expecting it!

Thanks for the info! I am checking out St. Paul de Venice as we speak, for I know nothing about this area...

Archived