Late October weather in Quebec & Nova Scotia

We are thinking of taking a cruise that leaves Montreal in late October..stopping in Quebec City, ports in Nova Scotia and ending in NYC in early November. It looks really nice, but we are wondering what the weather will be like for sight seeing...ie Peggy's Cove and how rough the sea gets at that time. Anyone experienced travelling in that area in the late fall....or if you live in the vicinity...sure would appreciate your input. Thanks so much.

Nova Scotia in late October is generally cool to cold and while rare, we have had snow flurries in the last week of October. Historically, it's one of the wetter months but with climate change who can predict anything with any certainty any more. Should be fine for site seeing, generally fog is more prevelant in June and July.

Pack your fleece, don't bother with shorts and layering is your best method of dress for those days when the sun will offer a little warmth.

Can't say about the sea conditions I'll ask hubby, he's in the Navy :D

When doing your research, check to see if attractions are open. For example Louisbourg will only be partially open after October. 15.

However late October in Cape Breton can be beautiful. The leaves may still be very pretty when you are there. I would rent a car and drive. Check out the Celtic Colours festival. http://www.celtic-colours.com/about/about-the-festival.html

Halifax will have everything open but there may not be too many harbour cruises. Peggy's Cove is fabulous when it is windy and rough. But stay well back from the water.

Quebec is wonderful year round.

The end of October can be very cool and even cold. I remember having a huge snowstorm on Halloween night one year (about 15 years ago but it still happened). Also, as far as the fall foliage, early to mid October is the prime time . By the end of October, many of the trees are already almost bare. If you could move it up a week or two, you would get more bang for your buck. With that said, I agree with Maryann, Quebec is always wonderful (as is Montreal ;) ).

Go to weatherunderground and look at trip planner or historical data. It will give you the weather on a particular day for the last 14 years. I just checked for our Sept 27 Crown voyage from Quebec to NYC and found that weather will have a high of about 60F (historically 46 - 73) and low might be 45F (historically 30F - 59). This is enough to give you an idea what would be a month earlier than your cruise. You might still have fairly good weather but the leaves might be gone and summer/fall activities have ended but the winter season and activities have not yet started. It seems to me alot of attractions in Canada use their Thanksgiving day or Oct. 15 as the close for the season date.

Archived