Gratuities

Big Al B.

Big Al, on Avalon they give you 2 envelopes on the last night of your cruise. One is for the crew (they share tips) and the other for the cruise director. They rec. 12 Eur per person per day for the crew and 3 Eur per person per day for the CD. In other words 12 + 3 = 15 Euro per person per day. 2 cruisers for 7 days would be 210 Euros in total. They then place 2 boxes out in the reception area that night for the envelopes. (I don't know how they tell if you tip or not. They don't have room numbers on the envelopes.) You can also hand any of the staff that did something special for you extra tips if you want. My wife did so for the crew member that made up our cabin.

We paid in cash but provisions were available so that you could put the tips on your credit card if you wanted to do so. I know that some on this board think this is too much to tip but considering the thousands of dollars you are spending on your cruise it's not that bad. We found that the crew members/CD are extra special in providing friendly and courteous service.

We charged ours to our onboard account and tipped the CD in cash. We did tip extra to certain staff members who provided exceptional service.

We did the same exact thing on our crusie 2 weeks ago.

Archived