car rental itinerary from Warnemunde

MRSBITS

We will be docked in Warnemunde in May, 2011 from 9:00 a.m.-11:59 pm. We are choosing to rent a car and see as much as we can along the Baltic Coast rather than traveling to Berlin. Is it possible for us to visit Lubeck, Schwerin, Wismar, Bad Doberan (want to take the Molli train), Rostock and back to Warnemunde? Also, any car advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

We will be docked in Warnemunde in May, 2011 from 9:00 a.m.-11:59 pm. We are choosing to rent a car and see as much as we can along the Baltic Coast rather than traveling to Berlin. Is it possible for us to visit Lubeck, Schwerin, Wismar, Bad Doberan (want to take the Molli train), Rostock and back to Warnemunde? Also, any car advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

too much...

The Molli-Train will be very time-consuming...

So if you arrive at 09.00 hrs

the earliest train you can get would 10.36 hrs.

You could do 09.36 hrs if you really a VIP member of HERTZ and all paperwork are done and you get only get the keys - you are the first from the ship - and there is no waiting for the HERTZ agent as well - and your ship arrived scheduled - you find right the way - and parked properly in Bad Doberan (which includes having Euro change to buy a park ticket)...

So 10.36 hrs would be realistic.

The best would be to have someone with you who is not so steam-train enthusiastic and drive the car to Kühlungsborn so you do not need to return but let's face the worst case and you'll back earliest (without leaving Molli-Train at the terminal and just return):

12.18 hrs would be earliest time to be back in Bad Doberan...

guess you just want to do some part of Molli-Train you can go to Heiligendamm where normally the two Molli-Train meet each other and you can return back on half way: 11.18 hrs.

Let's go back arrival 12.18 hrs...

You could be around 13.00 hrs-13.30 hrs in Wismar.

Let's say 13.15 hrs... 1 1/2 hour for some pictures and lunch

14.45 hrs... you can be in Schwerin around 15.30 hrs (incl. finding parking etc.)

see the castle maybe 1 1/2 hour again...

17.00 hrs... depending to the traffic you can be in Lübeck 18.30 hrs...

Most attractions are closed but there will be so much to see without entering the buildings...

20.30 hrs latest departure to be back right on time on the ship...

around 23.00 hrs... so 30 minutes spare time before you need to be on board...

So without Rostock... but after Lübeck, Schwerin, Wismar - Rostock would be anyway somehow the less interesting place of all place you listed.

If it is this what you want you can do it. It's your vacation. And you should create to do the most of now and as you have a car you have the flexibility to decide to stay longer or shorter on all places. Do not forget to book an GPS which will ease your life.

Visit my blog:

http://www.heinbloed-on-tour.de

There you find a Scenic route from Wismar to Warnemünde which takes time.

Something about getting around by car in Lübeck, Wismar and Schwerin.

Have a good time in Germany.

Regards

HeinBloed

We visited Schwerin and Rostock when we had our rental car in Warnemunde.

Rostock is a more industrialized city, and with the more historic, UNESCO World Heritage cities of Lubeck & Wismar, I wish we had opted for either of those. Frankly, keep in mind the adage, "Less Is More" and choose only 2 of the 4 cities you are considering. You will be better able to absorb the cities you visit if you are able to do so at a more leisurely pace.

We did enjoy Schwerin & the Castle. The couple we rented the car with, tired out early and we had our rental car back at the dock by 6pm.

Thank you so much, HeinBloed. I see that I was overly ambitious in my itinerary thoughts! So, if we leave Lubeck and Rostock off our agenda, it sounds like Schwerin, Wismar and Bad Doberan would be very doable. Is the Molli-Train worthwhile including? My husband is a train enthusiast, and I've been bitten by the bug! Mrs. Bits

Thank you so much, HeinBloed. I see that I was overly ambitious in my itinerary thoughts! So, if we leave Lubeck and Rostock off our agenda, it sounds like Schwerin, Wismar and Bad Doberan would be very doable. Is the Molli-Train worthwhile including? My husband is a train enthusiast, and I've been bitten by the bug! Mrs. Bits

O.K. I understand...

to make sure that you get his credit card for the next cruise or that he buys you some amber you should do following:

Book 10.36 hrs by writing a mail: info.hdm@molli-bahn.de

a book as subject "Buchung einer Lokmitfahrt DD.MM.YYYY, 10.36 Uhr Bad Doberan - Kühlungsborn"...

In the text body you can write in English. But just in case they do not understand they have the major information in the subject line.

Check the date format we are using in Europe!!!

It's a surcharge or 25.00 EUR for your husband and he'll have a never-forget-how-much-you-love-him experience and can have his ride in the steam locomation and help them to heat the steam engines and to run the train.

After return I would continue your plans but I would skip Wismar and doing next Schwerin (estimated arrival time 13.30 hrs-14.00 hrs) leaving from here 16.00 hrs - beining in Lübeck around 17.00 hrs and leaving from here 20.00 hrs - back by the ship at 22.30 hrs.

It's always a question of personal taste:

other might have other opinions.

But that would be the think I would do if a train enthusiastic best friend would come and ask me to plan a perfect day.

I am sure that your DH will appreciate the ride on Molli-Train.

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived