Too many Questions from a HAL Newbie...ha

DeRon

I have never been on a HAL ship, and we are strongly considering taking one this late fall. Here are my questions:

Are the pools salt water or fresh? What are the hours?

What kind of access to pools do you have if you have rented a Retreat Cabana? In other words, is the pool easy to get to from this point?

I have read that the Cabana area is off limits after 5:00. Is this correct? And if so, I wonder why??

Are the bars and public rooms really empty after 10:00? Or are people exaggerating when they say that... to imply that the ship isn't as "happening" as other lines? Are there many people in the disco, or is it always empty?

When (if ever) does the ship feel crowded? (We are considering Westerdam, Eurodam, or Nieuw Amsterdam)

Does the anytime dining work smoothly? And will we have any problem getting a table for 2? Can you also request a table for 2 for breakfast in the dining room?

When can you expect to get in your room on the 1st day?

If there is a younger crowd on board there is life after 11. Not a wild life, but a life. The Eurodam (and N. Amsterdam) have more people in almost the same space as the Westerdam. The Eurodam seemed more crowded especially with the cabanas around the pool. We balked at anytime dining but were surprised when we liked it. You call ahead in the morning and ask for one and after a few days you can actually ask for a certain table. We were able to get a table for two easily. You can ask for a table for two in the dining room for breakfast. We are early risers so we like the Lido before the crowd wakes up. Usually rooms are ready at 1:30 but luggage takes longer to get there.

The Eurodam (and N. Amsterdam) have more people in almost the same space as the Westerdam.

Actually, not really. The Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam are each 86,000 tons, with passanger capacity showing at 2,044.

The Westerdam is 82,000 tons, with a passanger capacity showing 1,916.

So comparing gross tonnage to passengers, they are pretty much identical in the amount of space to passenger ratio on each (less than 2% difference)....a negligible difference if you're using this information as a basis to book your cruise.

Archived