Toddlers in the MDR

Raze

Hi,

We are leaving on an Alaska cruise next week (Sapphire Princess). I have a 4 year old boy and 3 year old girl.

What recommendations do you have for toys/coloring books/etc. that we should bring from home to keep them entertained in the MDR or elsewhere? I've read that activity books would be good for the long dinners.

I'm sure there is information posted on this topic, but I couldn't find it. Please feel free to point me in the right direction or share your experiences.

Thanks!

Brian

What you've suggested yourself is fine! Any toy item that will keep them occupied without alot of noise or motion is great.

The staff will dote on the kids, and keep them supplied with munchable items, too....they'll be fine!

I brought coloring books for my 3 yr old last Fall. I also made sure we had a table off to the side/back where we woud be out of the way. There was a couple of times where DD was just too antsy to sit still, so I let her sit on the floor away from view and play w/her doll.

On our upcoming cruise (she'll be 4.5), I plan on brining coloring supplies, stickers, and some of the polly pocket type dolls.

ETA - we tried to time our dining so that we'd be finished eating just as the kids program opened up again in the evening (7pm). She had a lot of fun there.

Hi,

We are leaving on an Alaska cruise next week (Sapphire Princess). I have a 4 year old boy and 3 year old girl.

What recommendations do you have for toys/coloring books/etc. that we should bring from home to keep them entertained in the MDR or elsewhere? I've read that activity books would be good for the long dinners.

I'm sure there is information posted on this topic, but I couldn't find it. Please feel free to point me in the right direction or share your experiences.

Thanks!

Brian

Coloring books

Stickers

Crayons

Stamps (as long as your kids wont stamp the linen)

Small toys (we have a miniature log cabin in a 2 inch cylinder on a key chain), small tube of dinosaurs, sealife creatures, etc

once we dine the first night we try to familiarize ourselves w/ the kids menu, we also make sure we let our waiters know we will see them the next night (they will then have milk, choc milk, etc for the kids. We try to order shortly after being seated (at least for the kids)- sometmes we will order kids meals off the main menu and share them, etc. We also let the wait staff that no worries on our end of what comes out & when. Usually the kids have moved on to dessert when we are eating our main course. Worked especially well last cruise on HAL as I din;t care much for their desserts-- :)

Not certain what will happen for us w/ upcoming cruise-- the kids were awesome dining out in high chairs-- would sit for hour plus but now they are transitioning out of highchairs and a little wiggly-- hoping for good luck........

I've been on the Sapphire twice with twin toddlers and the staff has always done an amazing job keeping my girls happy. The kids were usually a course ahead of me, so were enjoying their ice cream while I finished my entree, which worked out great. I also bring a different little activity each night (from the dollar store) for any down time.

There are no special cups for kids (just the same goblets the adults use), so I always take a trip to the Disney store and bring my own straw cups that are special for the trip and help avoid spills.

Best,

Mia

We always took a little bag of items that were just for dinner time, that way they did not get bored with them. Things that were great for us:

coloring books and crayons

mini fishing around game

mini deck of memory cards

iPods loaded with their music

DSi handheld game

Hope this helps!

Just to add to the above - order fruit or whatever your little ones like to eat. Each night when you show up, the food will be there once you arrive. In our case, a bowl of strawberries. The dinner staff go out of their way to make the kids make it as long as possible. You can bring a DVD player with head phones also. It can be done - our last cruise my grandkids were 5, 2-1/2 and 1-1/2. The 2-1/2 you had the hardest time but eating while you're ordering helps. The wait staff is amazing.

We are going on Carnival & I am thinking ahead too, I purchased these fun sippy straw cups w/covered lid that's in the shape of a disney princess for my daughter and the other 2 for my boys are toy story. They love those cups and you can fill those with whatever they are drinking. On a recent trip to Disney where we did late dinners in nice restaurants, I brought little "goody bags", if they behaved, they got goody bags at dinner - silly bandz went over really well, little dinosaur figurines, some coloring stuff, stickers, goldfish pack to hold them over. I usually put in their order for food immediately, have that served while we are eating appetizer and then let them get a bowl of ice cream or dessert while we are eating main course.

I agree with Brian in the previous post. I ordered some sticker books and coloring books for my grandchildren when we cruise in October. Also, I never thought about them not having child friendly cups for the dining room. I will get some cups with straws that they can use. Thanks again for all the great advice!

Started packing and also found some mini foam art for 25cents at the sraft store today-- so posting some links for more examples

Also we brought our own cups the first few cruises. but ended up preferring the majority of time to not bother w/ washing the cups up back in the room- depending on age of child coffee mugs were a good option but bringing along the cups definitely helped when the kids were 1 to avoid spills

Here are some links of some travel toys we have taken for our toddlers to keep them traveling happily. We don't break all of these items out at once. Just one by one each night if they are becoming a little wiggly. Otherwise we attempt at first crayons, coloring book and then stickers when needed.

These items- pretty much weight nothing and were 25cents at Michael's

Foam Mosaic Animals

http://www.best-price.com/search/landing/query/foam+mosaic/s/google/altk/Arts/koid/6610647978/

Mini wind up fishing game $0.50

http://www.amazon.com/Toysmith-Wind-Up-Fishing-Game/dp/B000KAAHBC

Mini fishing game

https://www.justplanefun.com/Travel-Games-Magnetic-Fishing-p-5196.html

disney playing cards-- they don't know how to play the card games-- but like the pooh & mickey mouse characters

http://www.amazon.com/Disneys-Winnie-Collector-Decks-Playing/dp/B002G3CPWA

mini puzzles-- used this w/ the 4-5yr old vs bringing leapster-- now don't bring anything for him as he has pretty much not needed entertainment since 4-5yrs

http://www.smalltoys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Category_Code=carnival-prizes-51-99&Product_Code=U12530&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=st

mini animal tubes

http://www.toys2wish4.com/mini-petting-zoo-toobs.html

mini look and find books and mini rub & color books

http://www.amazon.com/Dora-Explorer-Look-Activity-Books/dp/1412769884

http://storyreaderbooks.com/Mini-Look-and-Find-Go-Diego/M/B001BSK1YK.htm

http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com.ar/backyardigans-party-supplies/55/3/B001U3X84Q/the-backyardigans-rub-n-color-party-pack-4ct.html

since we travel alot-- I just buy things on clearance at the craft & toy store, etc throughout the year-- and toss them in a box set aside for traveling or going somewhere potentially boring-- so I can bring along in case the kids get wiggly-- we don't make it a toy store scene at the table in the MDR. One item at a time, no noise with the toy, etc. Used them on flights- 8-10 bus ride into Denali State Park. LONG dinners, long layovers, etc.

all are typically new items (or haven't been seen in awhile items :). Leapsters were great for flying. we have brought them along in the backpack for MDR but didn't take them out of the bag except once or twice I think this past cruise

Although it is a little controversal on these boards, I've found that a portable DVD player with head phones can be a life saver. We usually bring crayons/coloring book, a couple of "little people" toys and the DVD player. We bring out the DVD player when nothing else works and our 2.5 yo DD is happy to watch it for an hour or more most of the time. Just make sure the volume is low enough that no one else can hear it outside of the headphones.

Although it is a little controversal on these boards, I've found that a portable DVD player with head phones can be a life saver. We usually bring crayons/coloring book, a couple of "little people" toys and the DVD player. We bring out the DVD player when nothing else works and our 2.5 yo DD is happy to watch it for an hour or more most of the time. Just make sure the volume is low enough that no one else can hear it outside of the headphones.

Ditto. Call me crazy but I don't understand how holding a young child's attention with something to watch (as long at it isn't any big disturbance) is any different than with something to do (ie coloring). We discreetly used a portable DVD at our table for four and only the kids and the wall could see it most times. We didn't have headphones but kept the volume below the noise level of the dining room. My kids talked with us about our trip and weren't completely absorbed by the movie as other threads might like to imply:) I have a squirmy 6 YO with mild concentration issues who would be much more disruptive due to his challenge of attention span than any movie player. The DVD player afforded us the opportunity to enjoy the dining room.

Call me crazy but I don't understand how holding a young child's attention with something to watch (as long at it isn't any big disturbance) is any different than with something to do (ie coloring).

I'd rather not call you crazy.:)

You answered your own question. Coloring is doing a creative artistic activity, watching yet another mind-numbing electronic device . . . is, well . . .

I'd rather not call you crazy.:)

You answered your own question. Coloring is doing a creative artistic activity, watching yet another mind-numbing electronic device . . . is, well . . .

Point taken. I wish I had one of those kids who would happily sit and color in the dining room:D In the context of getting through a long dinner though, well, we all do what we have to. For my kids it was a treat. We do not use the player in the car or anywhere else and use a ticket system to limit television or video watching. My boys thought they hit the ticket jackpot:)

You mentioned that your kids are 3 and 4. We started cruising when our youngest was 4. What worked well for her was for us to ask the waiter to bring her entree right away, when the rest of us had our appetizers or whatever. When she was done and there was a break between courses, I would run her up to the kids' program. This would work best if you have traditional dining on the Sapphire, so that you can go directly up the aft elevators to the Fun Zone (which usually opens for the evening at 7 pm). Then I would return to the dining room and finish the meal without feeling like I had to hurry.

I don't have kids. So go ahead ..I'll wait a minute..you can bash me.....

xxxxxxxxxxxx

OK. Now here's my opinion. I don't think there's anything wrong with anything that can be done quietly -- coloring, foam toys, even a DVD (assuming the sound doesn't carry past the table, or runs through an earplug or something).

I think it isn't a good idea to let your toddler run around (the OP didn't say they would do this...but some folks do). The dining rooms are pretty crowded, waiters are running around with heavy trays full of dishes, some of which have hot food, some full of dirty dishes -- either way, not good on a little ones head..or body... Nor is it (like someone suggested in another thread) OK to let your toddler play on the floor under the table (have you ever looked under there?? Gross!!) Nor is it OK to let your child go to other tables and pester folks/talk to folks/engage other folks in any way. They may be polite and smile, or tell you "how cute!"...

but believe me, when that happens to me, I'm smiling through a growl! :o

As for sitting still through dinner - I know another person already has been bashed on this thread, so bash away...

If you're done bashing me now .. I actually did this too. We had "practice dinners" at home, complete with china and glassware, in the dining room (we usually ate in the kitchen, off plastic plates, so this was a BIG deal) - -we called them "grownup dinners". And then when our parents took us out, they'd say something like, "We're going to have a grownup dinner tonight..you remember how to behave!" and we (my brother and I) would sit quietly, sometimes offer contributions to the conversation, try hard to not spill our water, wait for our parents to cut up our food if we couldn't manage it, and just SIT there while the grownups talked,

knowing that our "reward" would be a nice dessert if we made it through dinner without causing a stir. If we did misbehave, or get cranky, or get overly tired, one parent would excuse him/herself and remove us from the scene, so as not to disturb the others, both the others at our table, and the others in the dining room. Sometimes just a quiet few minutes would calm us; otherwise the remaining parent would know to box up any remaining parent dinner and bring it home.

We never took coloring books or toys to a meal, and were astonished when some restaurants started that practice of providing stuff to amuse kids! We just thought we were supposed to sit there, eat, and when the adults were done, we'd leave!!

I don't have kids. So go ahead ..I'll wait a minute..you can bash me.....

xxxxxxxxxxxx

OK. Now here's my opinion. I don't think there's anything wrong with anything that can be done quietly -- coloring, foam toys, even a DVD (assuming the sound doesn't carry past the table, or runs through an earplug or something).

I think it isn't a good idea to let your toddler run around (the OP didn't say they would do this...but some folks do). The dining rooms are pretty crowded, waiters are running around with heavy trays full of dishes, some of which have hot food, some full of dirty dishes -- either way, not good on a little ones head..or body... Nor is it (like someone suggested in another thread) OK to let your toddler play on the floor under the table (have you ever looked under there?? Gross!!) Nor is it OK to let your child go to other tables and pester folks/talk to folks/engage other folks in any way. They may be polite and smile, or tell you "how cute!"...

but believe me, when that happens to me, I'm smiling through a growl! :o

As for sitting still through dinner - I know another person already has been bashed on this thread, so bash away...

If you're done bashing me now .. I actually did this too. We had "practice dinners" at home, complete with china and glassware, in the dining room (we usually ate in the kitchen, off plastic plates, so this was a BIG deal) - -we called them "grownup dinners". And then when our parents took us out, they'd say something like, "We're going to have a grownup dinner tonight..you remember how to behave!" and we (my brother and I) would sit quietly, sometimes offer contributions to the conversation, try hard to not spill our water, wait for our parents to cut up our food if we couldn't manage it, and just SIT there while the grownups talked,

knowing that our "reward" would be a nice dessert if we made it through dinner without causing a stir. If we did misbehave, or get cranky, or get overly tired, one parent would excuse him/herself and remove us from the scene, so as not to disturb the others, both the others at our table, and the others in the dining room. Sometimes just a quiet few minutes would calm us; otherwise the remaining parent would know to box up any remaining parent dinner and bring it home.

We never took coloring books or toys to a meal, and were astonished when some restaurants started that practice of providing stuff to amuse kids! We just thought we were supposed to sit there, eat, and when the adults were done, we'd leave!!

WOW. When did the kids have any fun?

Going on a cruise should also be fun for the kids. The idea of long formal dinners is not very appealing to MOST children. I actually see a vacation as the time to break away from the formalities that we face at home or the business world.

WOW. When did the kids have any fun?

Going on a cruise should also be fun for the kids. The idea of long formal dinners is not very appealing to MOST children. I actually see a vacation as the time to break away from the formalities that we face at home or the business world.

No, I agree that long formal dinners on a cruise line aren't fun for kids...which is why several folks here -- with kids -- offered all kinds of alternatives: feeding them in the buffet and dropping them off in the kids programming; being prepared to feed them quickly in the MDR (and the waiters will help with this) and when they get fussy, drop them in the kids programming; and so forth.

I was only offering MY experience..as a 3 year old (and my brother at 5), to suggest that SOME kids can cope with a long formal dinner..and acknowledged early that some can't.

If you don't mind kid centered conversation at the dinner table we also

--play eye spy

--play what animal am I? give clues until someone guesses

--tell a silly story where each person contributes to the story and the last person at the table tells the ending

--pick a category and everyone has to add to it until it is too difficult them announce new category (example: "b" words or animals that live in the ocean, or vegetables, etc, etc , etc)

-- ask aquestion everyone takes turns answering (what was your favorite activity today? or did anything surprise you today? what made you laugh today? what was something you did today to be a friend? )

We love the sticker story books at Barnes & Noble for special times and also we found a book at Sams Club with pages and pages of the hide n seek pictures from HighLights magazine. I know my girls will love that!

Archived