Debit/Credit for Ship Board Account????

texankhj

We have always used a credit card for our ship board account. Our daughter and son-in-law are 1st time cruisers with us and do not have a credit card. Can they use their debit/credit card without transaction fees. If not, can we put up our credit card on their account? The last names will not match. Any help with this will be much appreciated.

They may, but there may be an issue after the cruise. Here's why.

Every day of the cruise, Carnival will run an authorization for the amount of the prior day's S&S charges. On debarkation morning they run the actual charge through for the total amount of the S&S balance, without cancelling the prior authorizations. The authorizations will expire naturally in 7-10 business days but in the meantime they act as a hold, and reduce available funds in the bank account.

Personally I would fund the S&S with cash as opposed to using a debit card.

It is also possible to link their charging to your credit card, then you sort it out later.

They may, but there may be an issue after the cruise. Here's why.

Every day of the cruise, Carnival will run an authorization for the amount of the prior day's S&S charges. On debarkation morning they run the actual charge through for the total amount of the S&S balance, without cancelling the prior authorizations. The authorizations will expire naturally in 7-10 business days but in the meantime they act as a hold, and reduce available funds in the bank account.

Personally I would fund the S&S with cash as opposed to using a debit card.

It is also possible to link their charging to your credit card, then you sort it out later.

So there would be a hold for the amount spent on the cruise plus the debit for the amount spent?

Is there a set amount of cash you need to deposit? I've heard between 200 and 400 dollars, but I'm not sure that's right.

You can deposit as much cash as you want. What's posted on the website is a recommended amount. My husband and I ALWAYS use cash, as we don't have a credit card. Just make sure you have enough on there for your tips if you haven't prepaid. :D

You can deposit as much cash as you want. What's posted on the website is a recommended amount. My husband and I ALWAYS use cash, as we don't have a credit card. Just make sure you have enough on there for your tips if you haven't prepaid. :D

Ok, thanks.

So there would be a hold for the amount spent on the cruise plus the debit for the amount spent?

They won't deliberately do that. They put a hold on for an estimated amount. When the final charge is posted, the bank is supposed to match it to the prior hold and delete the hold. Sometimes the matching process is not accurate, and you end up with both the charge (until if expires) and the charge. Its the bank's fault, not Carnival's.

The problem with debit cards is that people sometimes forget that this hold will reduce the available balance in the account. This can cause automatic payments to bounce, even though there is enough money in the account. It also reduces the amount you can spend in ports, using that card. You may know that you are not going to spend very much on board, but Carnival still puts the standard hold on your account.

Another, more general, problem with debit cards is the matter of your responsibility in case of loss or theft of the card. BY LAW, a credit card provider can not hold you responsible for charges to a credit card that are made after you report it lost/stolen, and only $50 for charges that occur before you are able to report it. Debit cards do not have this statutory protection. Some, but not all, banks, voluntarily offer the same protection for debit cards, but they are not required to do so. Check with your bank.

Paul

How much of a hassle is it to put up cash for your S&S? Don't you have to go to Guest Services once you get on board?

I used cash, but it wasn't a hassle. We were among the first onboard, so went straight to Guest Services before a line formed. However, Carnival does allow for you to make a few purchases before requiring you to put any cash on it. If there is a line when you first board, they could always wait for a time when Guest Services isn't busy.

They won't deliberately do that. They put a hold on for an estimated amount. When the final charge is posted, the bank is supposed to match it to the prior hold and delete the hold. Sometimes the matching process is not accurate, and you end up with both the charge (until if expires) and the charge. Its the bank's fault, not Carnival's.

The problem with debit cards is that people sometimes forget that this hold will reduce the available balance in the account. This can cause automatic payments to bounce, even though there is enough money in the account. It also reduces the amount you can spend in ports, using that card. You may know that you are not going to spend very much on board, but Carnival still puts the standard hold on your account.

Another, more general, problem with debit cards is the matter of your responsibility in case of loss or theft of the card. BY LAW, a credit card provider can not hold you responsible for charges to a credit card that are made after you report it lost/stolen, and only $50 for charges that occur before you are able to report it. Debit cards do not have this statutory protection. Some, but not all, banks, voluntarily offer the same protection for debit cards, but they are not required to do so. Check with your bank.

Paul

Oh ok. Thanks for the clarification. I figured it had to be a bank issue, because I've seen a few people complain about it but not everyone using a bank card.

Thanks for the info, I have never really had to think about this. We are looking forward to our B2B, our grown children and grandchild. They will be on the 1st leg and my DH and I will have the 2nd leg to relax. :)

It's on the carnival website about the amount you put up for cash. I recall it being $200 per person for the 5 to 7 day cruise. Less if less then 5 and more if more then 7.

So you probably heard couples saying it was $400 for the 2 of them. 4 people in your cabin would be $800.

It's on the carnival website about the amount you put up for cash. I recall it being $200 per person for the 5 to 7 day cruise. Less if less then 5 and more if more then 7.

So you probably heard couples saying it was $400 for the 2 of them. 4 people in your cabin would be $800.

The amounts on Carnival's website are "recommended" amounts. You can put as much as you want on the account.

Is there a set amount of cash you need to deposit? I've heard between 200 and 400 dollars, but I'm not sure that's right.

They suggest an amount per person. I knew we would in no way spend that much!! I put about $150 in cash on our account when we checked in at the terminal. I put about another $75 on it during the cruise.

How much of a hassle is it to put up cash for your S&S? Don't you have to go to Guest Services once you get on board?

We gave cash when we checked in at the terminal and were issued our S&S cards. Before we had our embarkation photo taken. Easy peasy!!

They suggest an amount per person. I knew we would in no way spend that much!! I put about $150 in cash on our account when we checked in at the terminal. I put about another $75 on it during the cruise.

That's good. I'm thinking about pre-paying our gratuities so we don't have a big balance at the end. Either way, I'm glad they take cash. We're trying to get away from using credit cards.

We have always used a credit card for our ship board account. Our daughter and son-in-law are 1st time cruisers with us and do not have a credit card. Can they use their debit/credit card without transaction fees. If not, can we put up our credit card on their account? The last names will not match. Any help with this will be much appreciated.

This is a risk without reading the replies, but here goes. I DID use my debit card. I had absolutely ZERO problems doing so, except one. A vendor in Mexico ran my card twice and said it had been declined. It hadn't. The bank was asking the vendor to enter the security code on the back of the card.

Well, that was the card I was using to guarantee my sign and sail account. When I got back to the ship, I couldn't even open my room. A quick stop to the purser's desk and a call to my bank, and all was good.

Moral to the story - I will continue to use my debit card. Next time, I'll use one debit card to guarantee my sign and sail stuff, and a separate debit card for my souvenir buying and eating on shore.

When getting your s&s card they ask which card you want to use. If you say cash do they take the $200pp there?

If cash, how much can you draw from it on board? Up to the auto-pay requirement?

Gatuiteis for 2 people for 7 days ($10pp pd X 7 = $70 X 2 people = $140) so, you put down $200,, the very first charge to your account is the gratuities,,, you're account is now down to $60,,,,

They'll start paging you and/or leaving messages at your cabin real soon. They will try to turn off your S&S cards for charging privliges before the account runs dry.

This is directly from the Carnival website. Again, they "recommend" amounts but you can put however much you want on your account. I opened my account up with less than these recommened amounts with no problems.

Cash Deposit:

U.S. Currency and Traveler's Checks may be used to open your Sail & Sign Account. Once on board, please visit our Guest Services Desk who will gladly assist you in opening your account. Throughout the cruise, as you approach the deposit limit, our Guest Services Desk will notify you that additional money must be deposited.

"Recommended" deposits per sailing duration:

2-4 day cruises: $100 deposit pp

5-8 day cruises: $200 deposit pp

9+ day cruises: $350 deposit pp

I set up a debit card account specifically for cruising. I have an allotment taken from our family checking account weekly to save for it, then I use it for booking all our cruise expenses, airfare, hotels, etc. That way I know things like bills aren't being taken out of it while we're away, that I know the hold placed on it (should it take a few days to be taken off, after our return) won't put a kink in normal household expenses. I make sure to have atleast $500 on that card when we board, that way I know the deposit is taken care of and the tips atleast...and anything leftover gets rolled into funding our next vacation.

I've never had a problem and will continue to do so.

My boyfriend & I always use cash. I feel more incontrol knowing exactly how much I have to spend.

Before our crusie we purchase Funship Dollars online & have them directly applied to our S&S account as OBC. That way we already have money in our account when we board the ship & we aren't carrying a lot of cash on us either.

Archived