New picture of Queen Elizabeth

dmwnc1959

Nothing booked, but I'll be on the tour a week on Sunday - I liked her sister very much - and if the photographs are anything to go by I suspect I may like QE even more!

I hope you will honor us with rave reviews?:)

I would love to hear all about her, as would every other Cunard lover, I am very sure.

Gail:)

Cunning plan in place to replace with stuffed blue bear.

Sir Martin

It is my understanding that NO stuffed animals of any persuasion (other than those for sale by Cunard of course) are to be allowed on board unless the accompanying human can produce three certificates of mental health signed by an eminent Harley Street Psychiatrist, A Psychologist and the president of the B.M.A. Of course anyone applying for such certificates will be immediately injected with a weapons grade sedative and locked up in a rubber room for the good of society as a whole. On the grounds that the mere fact of applying for such a certificate is sufficient proof of their being a complete and utter totally unreclaimable barmpot.

Exceptions can be made for people under the age of 4 years providing the accompanying adult will guarantee that no person will be expected to speak to said soft toy under any circumstances whatsoever.

My advice to travellers on the other two boats where this rule has not yet been implemented is to carry a large stick and when asked to say 'Hello'

to some sorry looking cat, dog, parrot, bear or wombat with some ludicrously 'cute' name to strike the offending barmpot a sharp blow. This may seem a trifle harsh but it is for their own good as it may return them to some semblance of normality although this, regretably, will be a short lived interlude. If the aforementioned stuffed toy is dressed or anthropomorphised in any way several such sharp blows may be required.

YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE.

A Crusading Gari

I see Rob Lightbody has weighed in on his opinion of the new Queen Elizabeth's interiors:

"Horrible tacky ship with olde-england interior and plastic decks. Yuck. Should have spent the money renovating QE2 instead (her hull had 30 years left in it)."

As well as Savoia:

"I don’t think anyone would dispute the success of the Vista. What has contributed to the disappointing views of many is that the Vista Queen Elizabeth carries with it many elements we’ve already seen and very lightly, if at all, been modified to call her own. Carnival’s known for keeping costs in line but it has come at a cost and often has come back to haunt them (plastic decks and much needed cabin furniture in Cunard’s case). Included is a PR machine that beats a dead horse on every aspect of their operation. Which has shown its lack of historical knowledge in their own company more than once. And so uninformed about their own company they never caught the use of a Titanic’d Queen Mary in a promotional video for the Vista Queen Elizabeth. That disconnect and a very elementary way of operating has diminished the polish that many envision Cunard having..that its current method of management doesn’t embrace. Nor apparently its managing director wants to improve or build upon."

Sounds like Kevin is running out of things to say. Sounds like the same old song and dance. :rolleyes:

I see Rob Lightbody has weighed in on his opinion of the new Queen Elizabeth's interiors:

"Horrible tacky ship with olde-england interior and plastic decks. Yuck. Should have spent the money renovating QE2 instead (her hull had 30 years left in it)."

A true expert on the QE2 and Cunard - but I fear his love for QE2 has blinded him to the economic realities of running cruise ships - for that is what late QE2 was - and once SOLAS 2010 had finished with her I'm not sure how much of the (multiple renovated) 'original' QE2 we would have had left.

Sounds like the same old song and dance. :rolleyes:

I wish there was something different or exciting about these comments about Carnival ships...despite the odd change of word here what we have is nothing we haven't seen before.

To borrow an expression.....;)

A true expert on the QE2 and Cunard - but I fear his love for QE2 has blinded him to the economic realities of running cruise ships - for that is what late QE2 was - and once SOLAS 2010 had finished with her I'm not sure how much of the (multiple renovated) 'original' QE2 we would have had left.

I find it odd that in the thread where I asked of those who had cruised both the QE2 and the QV which they preferred the overwhelming response was QV, and the number who admitted QE2 was past her prime, dated, depressing, and disappointing was equally surprising. I doubt if Carnival Corporation had spent the tens of millions needed to renovate QE2 she would be half the ship QV is now? QE2 wins only for nostalgic purposes, QV and the new QE win hands down in nearly every other department. Rob needs to let go that QE2 is a dinosaur among a new breed of ships filled with all the modern amenities QE2 was grossly falling behind in.

I find it odd that in the thread where I asked of those who had cruised both the QE2 and the QV which they preferred the overwhelming response was QV

I have sailed with non-liner nut friends on QE2, QM2 and QV - they ALL preferred the newer ships by a country mile. Where I saw 'heritage' they say fraying carpets and cramped cabins....she was a great ship in her day - but that day is well and truly past.

I have sailed with non-liner nut friends on QE2, QM2 and QV - they ALL preferred the newer ships by a country mile. Where I saw 'heritage' they say fraying carpets and cramped cabins....she was a great ship in her day - but that day is well and truly past.

There's going to be a sad realization one day when Rob turns on his computer to check out the Dubai webcam and QE2 won't be sitting there anymore having silently slipped out in the night on her way to Alang. She has been sitting in the desert sand and dust and sun for way too long, almost 2 years now, and her time to be rescued as a hotel/museum/whatever has passed.

From what I read here and elsewhere, and from my memories of the ship, she was first rate until the end - in First Class. It was only in the lower grades that the cabins were a serious issue.

I do understand she was difficult to see before the big announcement, save to those who would sail on nothing else. That's not much of a long term economic model really.

QM2 and QV are certainly more attractive to landlubbers, and the basic cabins are really rather good - when you've seen bunk beds in QE2......

I find it odd that in the thread where I asked of those who had cruised both the QE2 and the QV which they preferred the overwhelming response was QV, and the number who admitted QE2 was past her prime, dated, depressing, and disappointing was equally surprising. I doubt if Carnival Corporation had spent the tens of millions needed to renovate QE2 she would be half the ship QV is now? QE2 wins only for nostalgic purposes, QV and the new QE win hands down in nearly every other department. Rob needs to let go that QE2 is a dinosaur among a new breed of ships filled with all the modern amenities QE2 was grossly falling behind in.

I don't think I read your original thread and therefore didn't respond to the question so, if you don't mind, I'll give my opinion now.

For me QE2 was all about nostalgia and an enormous sense of history. Externally, she was a beautiful ship - maybe the most beautiful passenger ship to survive into the 21st century. But... the onboard experience I would say left something to be desired. I still dine out on stories of our inside cabin with the upper and lower bunks - like a broom cupboard equipped with shelves to sleep on - and that was an experience I will always remember and that I am enormously glad that I had. But the levels of comfort on board QV exceed those available in my achievable price range by a country mile and then some. To cut to the chase - as a ship to cruise on I much prefer QV but that does not diminish my love and respect for QE2.

J

Archived