No Show or Cancel?

stacieps

I'm pretty sure I know the answer based on other threads, but . . .

I have a group of 8 booked in 2 cabins for the Fascination leaving 8/21 (flying to FL on 8/20). It now appears that 2 or 3 may not be able to go (1 in one room, 2 in the other).

The 1 is listed as passenger #4 in room 1

The 2 are listed as passengers #2 and #4 in room 2.

The problem is Passports. All at issue are minors (this is a Girl Scout trip). Two girls are sisters and the family waited until mid-July to apply for passports (they are now US citizens but were not born here, so BC will not work) - they called for status today and were told they are still in process and they likely will not have them in time.

The 3rd is a US Permanent Resident, not a citizen, and she is waiting on her passport of her home country. She hopes to have her passport by Wednesday.

I certainly don't want to cancel any of them now since there is a chance of a miracle and the passports could come, so, os there any reason to cancel before Saturday or do the rest of us just show up and notify them at check-in if some didn't make it? I believe I've read here since there is no refund, we shouldn't cancel and should just have them be no-shows, but this is a new situation for me, so I wanted to double check.

Thanks!

Yeah I think the majority of the people will tell you just to have them be no show. If they cancel, they can get *some* of their money back, but it also puts the rest of you in the position of having to find replacements for them - or at the very least make sure that each room is filled (and paid for) double occupancy.

So, if passenger #3 in room 1 doesn't show, then that's not so much a big deal, because #1 and #2 are still there. But if #2 in room 2 wants to cancel, then that's a full fare that's no longer going towards the room, so #3, being the only one left would need to be the 'new' #2, and pay the difference. Although perhaps you're already splitting the cost 3 or 4 ways, in which case you all would need to absorb the cost of bumping #3 to take #2's spot.

So in the end, the person cancelling loses some of their money and the rest Carnival will still keep and will tell you it can be used towards a credit on any sailing in the next two years. Meanwhile the rest of you will have to pay extra or find another passenger to take their place - either way, someone will have to come up with some extra money.

It would be best to figure out how much each person paid, how much more you'll all have to pay if someone cancels, and compare that against the loss someone will face if they just don't show up.

If you booked early saver, there are no names changes.

Any other fare, you could do a name change for $50 and someone else can go in their place.

Id have to find the FAQs on Carnival site ... seem to remember once you hit the last 7 days there is no refund but prior to that a little bit.

The trip was paid for by the Girl Scout troop, so no person actually loses anything (obviously the troop loses by paying for girls who don't go) - each girl only had to contribute $50 (which I have so I can pay their gratuities once on board).

So, I guess I'll hope that we are surprised and all 3 have passports in hand by Thursday night. If not, the rest of us will fly to JAX on Friday a.m. and board the ship on Saturday with the others being no-shows. With the possibility of passports coming, it doesn't seem to be worth the aggravation of finding out about cancelling but not knowing for sure if we are.

Thanks.

US passports can be expedited for an additional fee. Might be worth looking into.

The 2 sisters waiting for US Passports called today. They were told they were still being processed and offered the option of paying the expedite fee now but still no guarantee of getting them in time. The parents opted not to pay the expedite fee since it didn't seem likely that they'd have them by Thursday.

Any other fare, you could do a name change for $50 and someone else can go in their place.

Id have to find the FAQs on Carnival site ... seem to remember once you hit the last 7 days there is no refund but prior to that a little bit.

We are not early saver, but I don't think substituting is going to work at this point (we have to fly from BOS to JAX, so the flight prices would be very high this close to the trip - I'll double check but I don't think the airline would allow a name change).

I checked Carnival's cancellation policy is 100% fare this close to sailing - so really no point in cancelling.

We are not early saver, but I don't think substituting is going to work at this point (we have to fly from BOS to JAX, so the flight prices would be very high this close to the trip - I'll double check but I don't think the airline would allow a name change).

I checked Carnival's cancellation policy is 100% fare this close to sailing - so really no point in cancelling.

And sometimes it can be worst to have someone to cancel. Im booked at $409 pp, right now the fare is $429 with two of us in the cabin. My sister now wants to cancel but she will be a no show, because Id be refarred at $429 (X 200%). Cheaper for her not to show up

First, what a great girl scout leader you are!!! Please come back and tell us all about your trip! As a former girl scout and leader, I know how much time this takes, but also know how rewarding it can be.

Second, too bad about those girls whose parents waited too late and now don't want to cough up the extra money to expedite. There is only so much you can do for them.

I guess the easiest thing is to wait and see what happens, and just inform the officials when you board.

Have a great cruise!!!!!!!

The trip was paid for by the Girl Scout troop, so no person actually loses anything (obviously the troop loses by paying for girls who don't go) - each girl only had to contribute $50 (which I have so I can pay their gratuities once on board).

So, I guess I'll hope that we are surprised and all 3 have passports in hand by Thursday night. If not, the rest of us will fly to JAX on Friday a.m. and board the ship on Saturday with the others being no-shows. With the possibility of passports coming, it doesn't seem to be worth the aggravation of finding out about cancelling but not knowing for sure if we are.

Thanks.

You have to pay gratuities for the people who don't come?

The problem is Passports. (they are now US citizens but were not born here, so BC will not work)

This is the case with my sister as well (born in France, now US citizen). In February she took her French BC (translated to English) and naturalization papers and was able to board the ship just fine. Could that be an option maybe?

This is the case with my sister as well (born in France, now US citizen). In February she took her French BC (translated to English) and naturalization papers and was able to board the ship just fine. Could that be an option maybe?

The leader is right. She needs to make sure to have all the paperwork in order. The worst thing that could happen is to show up at port and they do not let someone on...then what? It really is too bad the parents waiting so long to get this all done. I am sure this has been a long time in the planning.

You are a great leader to pull this trip together. The girls will remember it forever. Have fun!

I was just about to suggest the same thing. Do US Certificates of Citizenship still have a photo on them? If so, what could be better than an actual Certificate of Citizenship?

Don't lose it though; they are wicked expensive to replace! :eek:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a910cac09aa5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

I tried that - the parents said the girls don't have naturalization/citizenship because they automatically became citizens when the parents did - that the only papers have the parents names. I don't have any knowledge about the process so have to go by what the parents told me.

You have to pay gratuities for the people who don't come?

No, at least I don't plan to. I meant that each girl had to contribute $50 towards the trip and I had that money set aside for the gratuities. I only plan to pay gratuities for the people who actually go.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer based on other threads, but . . .

I have a group of 8 booked in 2 cabins for the Fascination leaving 8/21 (flying to FL on 8/20). It now appears that 2 or 3 may not be able to go (1 in one room, 2 in the other).

The 1 is listed as passenger #4 in room 1

The 2 are listed as passengers #2 and #4 in room 2.

The problem is Passports. All at issue are minors (this is a Girl Scout trip). Two girls are sisters and the family waited until mid-July to apply for passports (they are now US citizens but were not born here, so BC will not work) - they called for status today and were told they are still in process and they likely will not have them in time.

The 3rd is a US Permanent Resident, not a citizen, and she is waiting on her passport of her home country. She hopes to have her passport by Wednesday.

I certainly don't want to cancel any of them now since there is a chance of a miracle and the passports could come, so, os there any reason to cancel before Saturday or do the rest of us just show up and notify them at check-in if some didn't make it? I believe I've read here since there is no refund, we shouldn't cancel and should just have them be no-shows, but this is a new situation for me, so I wanted to double check.

Thanks!

I may be wrong, but if they are all minors, I do not believe that they need passports as long as there is other documentation. Call Carnival, make sure you speak to a supervisor or at least someone with some knowledge and ask them what kind of documentation they actually need

I may be wrong, but if they are all minors, I do not believe that they need passports as long as there is other documentation. Call Carnival, make sure you speak to a supervisor or at least someone with some knowledge and ask them what kind of documentation they actually need

I have checked. The problem is none of the 3 are US born citizens. 2 have parents who are naturalized US citizens - the minors are not given naturlizations cards, they are instructed to get passports for proof of citizenship (they had passports they expired early this year). So, not as simple as US born citizen who can just use a birth certificate. They did not re-apply for passports until 7/16 (with the fee increase mid-july, the application numbers were up, so they are taking a full 6 weeks now)

The 3rd girl is not a US citizen, she is a Permanent Resident. Her passport from her home country has expired. She cannot leave the US without her home country passport, or she can be denied re-entry. So, again, not a simple solution - if she doesn't have her passport, she cannot go. She did not go to her embassy unitl 7/30.

So, keeping my fingers crossed that passports come in the next 3 days, but I've done all I can at this point (I had the parents all sign a document in December agreeing to get all documentation/passports for the trip) - I know whatever girls make it will have a good time.

The 3rd girl is not a US citizen, she is a Permanent Resident. Her passport from her home country has expired. She cannot leave the US without her home country passport, or she can be denied re-entry. So, again, not a simple solution - if she doesn't have her passport, she cannot go. She did not go to her embassy unitl 7/30.

You are right on the first and second but the third girl CAN travel with her green card only.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative does not pertain to U.S. Alien Residents.

Valid, Unexpired, Alien Resident Card with a Government-Issued Photo I.D.[/color][/b]

Photo I.D. (if not on the Alien Resident Card)

Government-Issued Photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age or older.

Sources of Photo I.D:

Driver's License

Driver’s Permit

Government issued identification card (city/state/federal)

This should help you.

You are right on the first and second but the third girl CAN travel with her green card only.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative does not pertain to U.S. Alien Residents.

Valid, Unexpired, Alien Resident Card with a Government-Issued Photo I.D.[/color][/b]

Photo I.D. (if not on the Alien Resident Card)

Government-Issued Photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age or older.

Sources of Photo I.D:

Driver's License

Driver’s Permit

This should help you.

There seems to be some inconsistency in information. This is what I found:

TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENTS

Note: The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative does not pertain to U.S. Alien Residents.

Valid, Unexpired, Alien Resident Card with a Government-Issued Photo I.D.

Photo I.D. Information (if not on the Alien Resident Card)

A Government-Issued Photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age or older.

Sources of Photo I.D:

Driver's License

Driver’s Permit

Cruises that visit Bermuda

U.S. Alien Residents must present their valid, unexpired Alien Resident Card in addition to their birth certificate or Passport from country of origin.

Cruises that visit Europe

Alien Residents must carry a valid passport from the country of citizenship and a valid, unexpired, Alien Resident Card. Alien Residents are advised to check with their travel agent or appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents. Certain foreign nationals will be required to obtain a Schengen Visa and/or Croatian Visa.

There is no advantage to cancelling unless someone wants their money back. If they paid for it and want the money back (less penalty) then they should cancel, otherwise I'd definitely say be a no-show.

As far as the passports go, they come in VERY quickly now if you pay the expedite fee. Probably would be less expensive to expedite it than to lose the cruise. I hope it is not too late to do that. Good luck.

Hi Fire,

CCL changed this last month. It's now 14 days or less = no refund and final payment dates were changed from 70 days to 75 days for the 6,7, and 8 day cruises.

new cancellation penalties

Bill

Archived