Books on Alaska

Deb in Cali

I’m not big on Mitchner’s, Alaska. Although I believe he was a great author and did a splendid job on other books, I think he and his wife sort of hurried through the Alaska research and didn’t do a very thorough job. He was getting way up in years at that time..

I recommend:

The “Milepost” as an all around travel guide for contemporary Alaska. It really is the “Bible” and has been for years with respect to getting around up here.

If you are into history, particularly the first half of the century, try:

“Icebound Empire” by Elizabeth A. Tower

And a book on the history of the Klondike is a must. There are quite a number of excellent books regarding this era. I’m not certain which to recommend. Maybe “Yukon” has a favorite.

If you would like to read about recent political happenings over the last three decades or so, including the influence of big oil, try: Jay Hammonds “Tales of a Bush Rat Governor”.

Thank you to all, for your input on what to read prior to going to Alaska. Too many good books, too little time.

I am currently inthralled with the Princess guide book. It is worth EVERY penny. I am reading it in bits and pieces. It isn't one long article, but broken up into stories, history, antidotes, inserts and lots of pictures.

I have been working on the Looking for Alaska book also. Have made it to chapter 8.

Deb

The Princess guide book recommends, "I Heard the Owl Call My Name." It is a wonderful book of life in an Indian villiage even though it is set in British Columbia. It will take you less than two hours to read but requires a box of kleenex, if you react emotionally to what you read.

Flyer,

I'm workin on it, I'm working on it. LOL.

All,

I did finish the Alaska Cruise Companion book to the points where we will be cruising. It covers all aspect of cruising including things to do in ports, history, tons of pictures, etc. It is so worth the money, and it isn't just for Princess cruisers, anyone going on any cruise to Alaska could use it. I will be taking it with me on the cruise and making notes in the margins about various places and events.

Okay Flyer, I will now dedicate my time to the "Looking for Alaska" book. I just started Chapter 8 where he was in Cardova. I loved Chapter 7 with the kayak trip. I was totally relating to his Chpater 6 stories about the bears. My cousin lives at Lake Tahoe and we live right outside of Yosemite, so we have had many experiences with bears.

Deb

Deb, If you have made it past Chapter 11....you might be interested to note that Jeff King is racing in this years Iditarod - which begins next Saturday (March 5th) and the young girl in Chapter 14, Elizabeth Jayne is racing this weekend in the Junior Iditarod.

http://www.iditarod.com/

on reading about this book on the boards, I went and borrowed it from the local Library - it makes really great reading especially if you've been to the places he talks about, it's bringing back some great memories!

Debbie

Basser

I haven't seen that one or read it so I can't say one way or another.

Captain 1

I check the Frommer's Alaska Cruises & Ports of call 2002. It has ships, ports, tours, maps and location information. I think that they are fairly close in their coverage.

Flyer

Okay, so where are you in the book? I have been plodding away at it. I am in the chapter where he is talking about the snowboarder. I can't wait to try some fresh salmon.

Deb

Deb,

I just finished the part about the two idiots who stayed the winter in the most inhospitable spot in Alaska. I need to get back to it and get it finished. We leave May 28th. :)

Flyer

• 2 weeks later...

"Alaska By Cruise Ship" by Anne Vipond pub by Ocean Cruise Guides. Got this through http://www.oceancruiseguides.com and it is great! Also has a coupon in the back for Holland America $25 onboard credit. Must get the 2005 edition for the coupon to be current.

Lots of photos, cruise info, native history, port info and maps.

Susan

Just wanted to say "Thanks" to everyone for their input and thoughts on books, I have been maxing out my card at half.com.. I just finished Alaska By Cruise Ship and I am on ch. 6 of Looking for Alaska. If anyone has not read End of the Road by Tom Bodett you really should get it. It will keep you laughing.

You might want to try "Passage to Juneau" by Jonathan Raban. It's a nonfiction book. Here's the blurb from Amazon:

-----------

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com

British-born Jonathan Raban sets out on a passage from Seattle to Juneau in a small boat that is more a waterborne writing den, and as usual with the brilliant Raban, this journey becomes a vehicle for history and heart-stopping descriptions that will make readers want to hail him as one of the finest talents who's picked up a pen in the 20th century. The voyage through the Inside Passage from Washington's Puget Sound to Alaska churns up memories and stirs up hidden emotions and Raban dwells on many, including the death of his father and his own role of Daddy to his young daughter, Julia, left behind in Seattle. More than just a personal travelogue, however, Passage to Juneau deftly weaves in the stories of others before him--from Indians whom white men formerly greeted with baubles set afloat on logs, to Captain Vancouver, who risked mutiny on his ship when he banned visits with prostitutes, some of whom offered their services for bits of scrap metal. Pressed into every page are intimate descriptions of life at sea--the fog-shrouded coasts, the crackly radio that keeps him linked to the mainland, the salty marine air, and the fellow sailors who are likewise drawn by a life of tossing on water. While Raban successfully steers his boat to the desired port, readers ultimately discover that this insightful, talented sage is in fact emotionally in deep water and may not fully be captain of his own life. --Melissa Rossi

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to many of the above - Sitka by Louis L'Amour, any Dana Stabenow Kate Shugak book, Alaska for Dummies

Also just about anything sold by the Alaska Natural History Association. They pick the best books about Alaska from cruising to hiking and everything in between. Also all profits go to the National Parks in Alaska for education, shipping is reasonable and will arrive within a week, and you can order online at http://www.alaskanha.org/_alaska-books-maps.cfm

Archived