Books on Alaska

Deb in Cali

I love to read about locations before I get there so I am educated about about what I am seeing. I have a few books that I have checked out of the library or have purchased. Here is my recommendations so far:

1. The Alaskain Cruise Companion w/ map. The current edition (2004) is available only through Princess, but the previous editions are in bookstores and in the library.

2. Alsaka by Mitchner. I haven't read this yet, but it was recommended to me.

3. Looking for Alaska by Peter Jenkins. I have read his some of his other books and they are excellent. I am currently reading this one. If you don't have a strong stomach skip chapter 2, it is about a bear attack.

4. Frommer's Alaska Cruises & Ports of Call

5. Frommer's Alaska

If you have purchased or read other books fiction and non-fiction about Alaska please add to this list.

Deb

I liked Alaska By Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond. It includes maps and vibrant colored pictures of the ports and history of Alaska.

I preferred this book to both Frommers and Fodors. It is an excellent book!

I also like Princess' Alaska Cruise Companion.

Alaska: the Cruise-Lovers Companion, by Paul and Audry Gresco. Alaska Northwest Books available at your local Evil Empire (Barnes and Noble Store). Chapters on History, the Inside Passage, Glaciers, Wild Alaska, Sporting Adventures, the Native Way, Shopping, Ports of Call, and the Interior. It isn't loaded with photos, but what they have is outstanding.

Uncle Sam's Attic, by Mary Lee Davis, pub 1933 and available on-line from Advanced Book Exchange. What A was like before hoards of us tourists got there.

Jim

P. S. USA is not expensive, but I got mine for a quarter at my local Friends of the Library book sale which is always a good place to buy books.

I love to read about locations before I get there so I am educated about about what I am seeing. I have a few books that I have checked out of the library or have purchased. Here is my recommendations so far:

1. The Alaskain Cruise Companion w/ map. The current edition (2004) is available only through Princess, but the previous editions are in bookstores and in the library.

3. Looking for Alaska by Peter Jenkins. I have read his some of his other books and they are excellent. I am currently reading this one. If you don't have a strong stomach skip chapter 2, it is about a bear attack.

4. Frommer's Alaska Cruises & Ports of Call

5. Frommer's Alaska

If you have purchased or read other books fiction and non-fiction about Alaska please add to this list.

Deb

Thanks Deb for some good suggestions. I plan on going to our library to check out the Peter Jennings book. I too like him and think he's a great writer. Gail J.

Do you recommend ordering the Alaska Cruise Companion from Princess before we sail or wait until we board and purchase there? Can anyone give me a brief description of this book?

Thanks

if you can get it ahead of time, it'd be great.

We sailed in 03 and bought the latest edition at that time. There is a great deal of info about what you will be seeing on your cruise and I read it ahead of time and then made "sticky" notes for things I wanted to try and make sure to see. We had a balcony cabin, so it was easy for me to have the book handy and reference points on the map and in the book to what I was actually viewing.

For instance, one of the areas where Upton said we could expect to see otters, I picked up dh's binoculars and sure enough, there they were.

Thanks Coral and Genessa for the info. Actually I didn't think you could get it before you were onboard but when I called Princess recently the book was one of the options you could choose. I guess I'll just have to order myself a copy!! Again, thanks!!

For fiction books written by Alaskan authors (mystery genre) try any of the books by Sue Henry and/or Dana Stabenow. These are what I call "dessert books" as they are light and entertaining. The action takes place in Alaska.

I always use Lonely Planet books when I travel anywhere. The shipline books are a little too commercial for me especially if you are looking for history of a place. The Lonely Planet Alaska Guide is great. You can go on Amazon.com and read reviews others have posted about the books being worthwhile.

I received my "The Alaska Cruise Companion" from Princess last week and I love it, full of maps and ideas of things to see. The author takes you up the inside passage mile by mile and tells you some of the things to look for as you cruise by, tells some of the history and the local cultures. I called Princess and ordered it for $25, it is the 2004 edition. I am really enjoying this book.

I received my "The Alaska Cruise Companion" from Princess last week and I love it, full of maps and ideas of things to see.

With thanks to this board, I just ordered mine over the phone last night. :) How long did it take to receive after placing your order?

Gail and Flyer,

Gail,

Did you get the book yet?

I am on Chapter 7 and almost ca't put the book down. I loved the story about the deep sea fishing with the whales and eagles all around.:eek:

All,

My Princess cruise book took about 10 days to get here. I am just starting to get into it. It is very interesting so far. From what I have seen I think that it is worth the money, and I am a tightwad.

Deb

I love to read about locations before I get there so I am educated about about what I am seeing.

I bought ALASKA at a thrift shop for $5.00 and am half way thru it. I really am learning a lot about early Alaska. I am only into the 1890's now, goldrush time.

Archived