Packing for a 12 day European cruise

t_nix

So.... we are going on a 12 day cruise in Dec and I have been so wrapped up in planning the cruise and flights that I havent even thought of how to pack for this kinda of trip. Since it is Dec it will be in the 50's. Its sooooo hot here in Georgia that I cant remember how cold the 50's feel, but I am guessing that dressing in layers will be the best thing to do.

What I am worried about is how to take enough clothes for the trip and 1 extra day in Barcelona and still keep my suit case under 50 lbs so I dont have to pay the heavy bag fee or pay for a second checked suitcase. We are on RCCL and there arent self service washing machines. :( Aside from wearing the same clothes for several days, do any of you have any tips on how to lighten our load?

Thank you!

Tiffany

I would take just a few pair of wrinkle free slacks (I prefer jeans, however, I am reading that some people say you shouldn't wear jeans in Europe because you will look like a tourist, I am a tourist so I don't mind looking like one), a heavy sweater (neutral in color) and as many tops as you need for the cruise. We are taking a 12 day European cruise next year and I'm thinking about skipping the Elegant nights so that we don't need to take my husbands suit or any dressy clothes for me. Personally, I don't mind wearing jeans more than once (as long as I don't spill anything on them), however, I won't wear a top more than once. You may need to send a few things to the ships laundry during the cruise.

Mix & match tops, try to limit the shoes, formal nights make it a bit challenging. For a 14 night cruise, 1 night pre cruise & 3 nights post my son & I had 3 suitcases plus 2 carry ons. Even then we sent off a lot to the ships laundry & also I did quite a bit of wash on my own & dried it on a line strung low on balcony.

If you can buy your heavier toiletries after you fly to your destination, that may do the most to help limit the weight of your luggage. Shampoo, conditioner, lotion etc.

Make sure you bring a decent warm jacket. My cruise ended in England in may, and it was so cold, windy & rainy at Dover Castle. I had just a light spring coat & froze through much of our walk on the grounds. I really wished I had a very warm coat, touring that castle was one of the highlights of the trip so I wasn't about to miss it. I had already dropped off luggage at the hotel, & don't know if I would have wanted to wear 4 sweaters even had I known how cold & windy at was.

Archived