Balcony or Ocean View

CrackersAndCheese

Hi! This is my first post here and I'm hoping someone can help me out or point me to a thread that already holds an answer. :)

My husband and I are considering the July 2, 2011 sailing from Rome to Nice for our anniversary. It's a seven night cruise with ZERO at-sea days. I'm wondering if having a balcony would even be worth it since we probably won't be spending much time in the cabin. I have a tug of war in my mind where part of me thinks "Go for the balcony! It's only $XXX more for the week" and the other part of me thinks "That's $XXX you could be spending on an excursion, who needs a balcony?"

Also, are there specific cabin recommendations you could alert me to? It seems I've read reviews that certain areas are noisier than others.

Thanks so much!!

Liz

Hi Liz!

For every person that answers - you will get a different response. I cannot live without my balcony. I eat my breakfast out there...do my morning Qi Gong and have little sailaway parties there everynight. I also love a little siesta out there if there is a sea day or if I am back at the ship early. I drink my tea at night before I go to bed and do my meditiation outside.....I love the sound of the ocean. I sometimes leave the door open if the weather is nice at night so I can hear the ocean. There is nothing more soothing.

I have friends and family who wouldn't think of paying the extra, as they get everything the balconies get without the view for a lot less. It is just a matter of taste.

If you love the sea, then it's worth consideration.

Happy sailings - ALWAYS

I had a look at the itinerary and can understand your dilemma ... very long days in port and perhaps little time to enjoy a balcony. I love having a balcony and especially in the Med in warm weather. On a port intensive cruise I think a balcony is worth the extra cost ... hard to imagine a nicer place to enjoy some solitude after busy port days. However, if it means a trade off for something else, then it may not be worth it. e.g. if the money saved by having an o/v cabin means that you can spend extra days pre and/or post cruise, or that you would be able to enjoy excursions that you wouldn't if you paid for a balcony cabin, then I would seriously think about going with the o/v.

We travelled from Barcelona to Venice in May and each night, we watched the moon shine on the water from our little balcony and listened to the sea move under the ship as we drifted off to sleep. In the morning, I loved watching the ship draw close to each port as well. I admit I left the door open a lot of the time just to feel close to the ocean. I can't imagine being without a balcony...it's part of the experience of sailing on the sea. We were on deck 7 near the stern and it was quiet and lovely.

I say go for it!

I loved the balcony even though we cruised in November and were out as soon as we docked every port day.

However, if it means not cruising, then do without. I also loved going up on top to the public deck, and often took a cup of coffee with me. It was never crowded, not even the day we sailed in to Istanbul, so if you don't have a balcony you can still get outside.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

When we booked our Azamara cruise the balcony prices were the same as ocean view so we didn't even contemplate an OV cabin. We have had balcony cabins since they were first introduced to cruise ships...not that I'm old or anything!!!

I totally understand your concerns about the cost issues. On your chosen itinerary an ocean view cabin may provide the best bang for the buck. I'd recommend a deck 4 cabin midship. There is very little activity in the foyer. There is the Purser's office, a shore excursion desk, the future cruise desk and a small area with jewelry cases. We hardly ever went to this area and rarely saw other passengers there either. It was almost always quiet so even a cabin close to this area would be fine.

Med cruise shore excursions are very costly. You should be aware that you will always pay for the services of both a guide and driver in Italy. That is the law there. Independent tour recommendations are plentiful on the Ports of Call boards on Cruise Critic. Please join the Roll Call for your sailing. If there is not one now then start your own. We have had great luck putting excursions together with other members on the Roll Call particularly in the Mediterranean.

You will have such a special cruise. Azamara is truly a step above.

If there are other questions that we can answer please do not hesitate to ask.

We have always had a cabin with a balcony but on our last cruise we opted for Ocean View with a picture window and we really enjoyed it. We were able to sit by the window and enjoy the ocean and we felt much closer to it than when we have been on the balcony. As Cindylou said at the beginning of the thread, you will get differences of opinion.

Hi Liz and welcome.

July in that part of Europe can be hot hot hot. High 80s and low 90s are the norm. Humidity is not unusual. The reason I mention this is that it can sometimes be too hot to enjoy sitting on your balcony. It could be in full sun when you could use a little shade.

The outside cabins on deck 4 are a good compromise. Don't take one too far forward because it will be directly below the show lounge. I'd choose any cabin between 4023 and 4047, which will also put you away from the medical office on the port side (left as you face the front of the ship).

Hi Liz and welcome.

July in that part of Europe can be hot hot hot. High 80s and low 90s are the norm. Humidity is not unusual. The reason I mention this is that it can sometimes be too hot to enjoy sitting on your balcony. It could be in full sun when you could use a little shade.

Good point as we were in a PH Suite and never once sat on our balcony! We were in Asia and is was hot hot hot with tons of bugs! With that said we still had floor to ceiling windows and could sit at our table and look out onto the ocean.

Good point as we were in a PH Suite and never once sat on our balcony! We were in Asia and is was hot hot hot with tons of bugs! With that said we still had floor to ceiling windows and could sit at our table and look out onto the ocean.

Wow, that is such a shame. It seems that we spent all our time leaning on the rail watching the wake. I know that we didn't but we really loved being on that balcony whatever the temperature and found that, with the PH, there was always part of it in the shade.

Sue

Cindi is absolutely correct - everyone has a different view of things. So, I will add my 2 cents worth! We love balconies and would never consider not having one. I, too, love to have the doors open and listen to the water. I love to sit out there in the evening and watch the stars (and it isn't as windy as up on the public decks). However, if it meant giving up something else, I would have to think twice.

To me we have had a balcony twice and an OV three times, usually go for the OV as the extra $ is not worth it to us. We are never in our cabin and never used the balcony's we had. That said we enjoy socializing in the bars and common spaces on the ship rather than sitting on our balcony and the pool deck in July in the Med is a huge common balcony. But it is all personal preference and it really depends on the $ difference.

We have been on Journey for a 7 night cruise Venice to Athens in May 2009 and 2010, the first year we had a balcony the second not. We thought we would miss the balcony this year but as the Azamara ships are smaller and quieter on the decks than the larger ships there was never any problem finding a bed or a nice space to use.

I was recently on Eclipse and had a balcony, the decks did become very busy and I made full use of the balcony and enjoyed the quiet space.

Perhaps on a small up-market ship one could sacrifice the balcony if needs be, those in the know often say it is preferable to have a less expensive cabin on a better ship than an expensive cabin on a mass market ship.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone who responded! I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier!! I've read each of the responses and it sounds like we'll just have to weigh our options and see just how big the price difference is when we book. Since there aren't any at sea days and we're more likely to eat meals at the restaurants than order room service, I think I'm leaning towards booking an OV and spending the money on an excursion.

Looking forward to planning our cruise on these boards!

Thanks again!

Hi Liz and welcome.

The outside cabins on deck 4 are a good compromise. Don't take one too far forward because it will be directly below the show lounge. I'd choose any cabin between 4023 and 4047, which will also put you away from the medical office on the port side (left as you face the front of the ship).

tgg, thank you for responding. Can I ask why you would chose the port side of the ship?

I had same reservations as you - but I was considering inside vs balcony - was difference of $1,000 per person - since it was our 25th anniversary, my husband insisted on the balcony. I was SO SO glad he did. Our itinerary was 12 days with only 1 at sea - but the itinerary was such that several days in some of the smaller ports we just did on our own, we had a lot of time in the afternoons to enjoy the balcony and we used it a lot!! We bought bottles of wine and would enjoy them on the balcony before dinner. I am surprised I am saying this honestly, but it was definitely worth the extra $$$ for us - as it added a lot to our trip!!!

tgg, thank you for responding. Can I ask why you would chose the port side of the ship?

I didn't suggest the port side, I suggested starboard.;) Here's what I wrote last time:

The outside cabins on deck 4 are a good compromise. Don't take one too far forward because it will be directly below the show lounge. I'd choose any cabin between 4023 and 4047, which will also put you away from the medical office (which is) on the port side (left as you face the front of the ship).

The cabins between 4023 and 4047 on the starboard side (right side as you face forward) will keep you away from the entrance to the medical facility, which is directly opposite 4022 or 4024, if I remember correctly. Sometimes people congregate in the hall before the medical office is open, and you don't want them to be right outside your door.

Hi, we were in 4048 earlier this year, I do remember walking past the medical facility quite often but never saw people congregating around the door. In fact the door was often open and there were only the reception staff on the desk in the office, not many patients. Perhaps we were lucky to be on a healthy cruise.

I know the inside cabin was not part of the question; however, I will put my two cents in to say we just cruised 12 days on the Journey in an inside cabin and it was just fine. Saved lots of money to pay for shore excursions, etc. We would just go out on deck whenever we wanted to see something, watch sail-aways, etc. We enjoy going to the MDR or buffet or Mosaic area to get a coffee or tea and read a book or talk to people. As everyone says, it is a matter of individual taste or opinion as well as finances.

Alice

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't suggest the port side, I suggested starboard.;) Here's what I wrote last time:

The outside cabins on deck 4 are a good compromise. Don't take one too far forward because it will be directly below the show lounge. I'd choose any cabin between 4023 and 4047, which will also put you away from the medical office (which is) on the port side (left as you face the front of the ship).

The cabins between 4023 and 4047 on the starboard side (right side as you face forward) will keep you away from the entrance to the medical facility, which is directly opposite 4022 or 4024, if I remember correctly. Sometimes people congregate in the hall before the medical office is open, and you don't want them to be right outside your door.

Oh! I misunderstood you the way you wrote your original response. Apologies!

Thank you for reiterating.

I know the inside cabin was not part of the question; however, I will put my two cents in to say we just cruised 12 days on the Journey in an inside cabin and it was just fine. Saved lots of money to pay for shore excursions, etc. We would just go out on deck whenever we wanted to see something, watch sail-aways, etc. We enjoy going to the MDR or buffet or Mosaic area to get a coffee or tea and read a book or talk to people. As everyone says, it is a matter of individual taste or opinion as well as finances.

Alice

Ditto this - one of the advantages of Azamara is the small passenger complement, so it is very easy to find a quiet spot to read or watch the waves. I love sailaways and arrivals but prefer to be up on deck enjoying port and starboard vistas, so a balcony would be somewhat wasted on me. Just under a month until we board the Journey........tick tock tick tock

We just returned from our cruise from Venice to Barcelona, and last year we cruised Athens to Barcelona on Oceania. We had a balcony on both occasions. This year we hardly used the balcony (I dried some washing there a couple of times - a lot of money to pay for drying the laundry). We spent so much time in port or on deck catching up with all the great people we met. I never thought I would cruise without a balcony but we think we might try an O/V next time - you'll never know, if you never go.

I guess we would have used it more if we could have had the divider open. We travelled with friends who were in the cabin next door and would like to have enjoyed a drink with them on the balcony of an evening, as we did on Oceania. However, Azamara would only open the dividers when in port which didn't help as we weren't on the ship then.

Deb

Archived