Best/Worst of Carnival's Ports

LiLBxQt

This has been SOOOO helpful! Thanks to all for their input! I have a running tally going... To summarize...

Least liked are:

#1 - Jamaica

#2 - Nassau

#3 - Freeport

#4 - Progresso

#5 - Belize

Most liked are:

#1 - St Thomas/St John

#2 - Half Moon Cay/Jamaica

#3 - Roatan

#4 - Grand Cayman & Cozumel

#5 - San Juan & Dominica

Hope this helps! Because it's certainly narrowed down which cruise Im most likely taking ;-)

*** Seems like cruisers either love or hate Jamaica.... I guess that's one to experience on our own to decide!

I've never been to a port that I outright disliked or would rate as my "least favorite." However, both Freeport and Montego Bay are ports where you need a plan - you can't just get off the ship and walk around. When we were in MoBay in February our excursion was canceled, so all we did was get off the ship, buy some Blue Mountain Coffee at the port shops, and get back on board. Five years ago we had a great excursion in MoBay, though.

So here we are, going to Ocho Rios in February on Freedom. No Dunn's River Falls for us - DH and I can't do the climbing it requires. Does anyone have any suggestions for my "plan" for Ocho? (Forget DH making plans - he doesn't.:p)

Key West is my favorite port! I would love to go down there and be able to be there at sunset - but I don't think they allow cruise ships to be there that late.

We are going to Half Moon Cay on our cruise next week - and I have never heard anything bad about it.

My three favorites have to be:

Costa Rica

All of the Virgin Islands (British & American)

St. Martin (yes, I spelled it wrong)

My husband favorite was

Costa Maya

Panama

Costa Rica

We agree on least favs:

Puerto Rico

Anywhere in the Bahamas

Great thread by the way....I hope representatives from CCL read this

Favorite ports: Tortola, Grand Cayman, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Cozumel. I like beaches and shopping.

I don't care for San Juan or Ocho Rios. Did do a sailboat to tour of Dunns River Falls and a private beach - it was OK, beach wasn't too hot(booked thru Carnival). Wouldn't do excursion on my own there. I don't like the shopping area to the left of the port. the new Island Village looked nice, we bought a couple of things there.

I am not nuts about the Bahamas, but am going there soon (convenient port for departure)

The best port we have visited on a Carnival ship is Palma de Mallorca on a TA. I love that island. A close second is Half Moon Cay. Our least favorite port was probably Freeport, however, we did have a very outstanding tour guide there and had a great time. They need to have a guy tour in Freeport of all the industry around the harbor.

Doc

My favorites: Grand Turk, Grand Cayman, Key West.

We've also been to San Juan, St Thomas, and Ocho Rios.

Ocho Rios was our least favorite by far. We went into it with an open mind, booked a private excursion to Dunns River falls and tubing down the white river. The falls was nice, the river tubing however was AWFUL. Our "tour guide" outright offered drugs to us, and the FAMILY that was with us (in front of their 8 year old daughter). He was supposed to guide us down the river, instead he took off in front of us and we all got separated. It was just a very nerve wrecking experience. We then went to the Margaritaville shopping area, and the shop workers were eyeing us down like we were going to steal something, even after we bought stuff. It was just a very uncomfortable experience. If we go back, we'll stay on board. But at least we can say we went there, and it's not for us. To each their own :)

I've never been to a port that I outright disliked or would rate as my "least favorite." However, both Freeport and Montego Bay are ports where you need a plan - you can't just get off the ship and walk around. When we were in MoBay in February our excursion was canceled, so all we did was get off the ship, buy some Blue Mountain Coffee at the port shops, and get back on board. Five years ago we had a great excursion in MoBay, though.

So here we are, going to Ocho Rios in February on Freedom. No Dunn's River Falls for us - DH and I can't do the climbing it requires. Does anyone have any suggestions for my "plan" for Ocho? (Forget DH making plans - he doesn't.:p)

We've been to several AI's in Ochi. We did a day pass at Couples San Souci in 2005 before it was owned by Couples. We also love Couples Tower Isle in Ochi. We love the private island but it's a nude island and they strictly enforce it so if you're not into that I'd skip the resort because the island is the best part. I normally don't go for nude beaches (other than topless) but Couples Tower Isle is very low key and very private. They take you out by boat and there's a pool with a swim up bar. Very nice relaxing place to spend a day.

:confused:I'm finding it interesting here that St Thomas is getting great remarks as being a favorite port and very few least favorite port ticks. Just a month ago when the young cruiser was killed in a cross fire of gang related activity, these boards were full of fearful posters saying they'd never go back to St Thomas and how unsafe they felt there.

Cruisers have mixed views of Jamaica, and opine on its poverty and scary vendors. Yet I can't recall any recent cruisers being caught up in gang related or even indivudual incidences of violence affecting cruisers.

Just an observation based on these posts.

yikes, were going to Ocho Rios in October. I usually try to approach things with an open mind, but that port seems to have way more negative reviews from what ive seen. How is the Mystic Mountain (think thats is what it is called) area? we have a tour booked there

We were in Ocho Rios on the Freedom a few months ago and had a great day. Did the Mystic Mountail boblsed excursion thru carnival, then stopped at Margaritaville for a bit.

:confused:I'm finding it interesting here that St Thomas is getting great remarks as being a favorite port and very few least favorite port ticks. Just a month ago when the young cruiser was killed in a cross fire of gang related activity, these boards were full of fearful posters saying they'd never go back to St Thomas and how unsafe they felt there.

Cruisers have mixed views of Jamaica, and opine on its poverty and scary vendors. Yet I can't recall any recent cruisers being caught up in gang related or even indivudual incidences of violence affecting cruisers.

Just an observation based on these posts.

I was one who said I would not be going back to "Coki Beach" until they cleaned the area up but I love St. Thomas and St. John too much not to sail there at this point. If things got worse I might change my mind but for now I've always felt very comfortable all over St. John as well as Magen's Bay on St. Thomas.

In Jamaica the biggest fear for me would be staying in a private villa because I've heard of "home invasion" type robberies. I would stick to an AI for a land vacation. As far as cruising, I don't feel afraid to visit Jamaica but I don't like getting grabbed and pulled at so that's something I mentioned not liking but if you get directly into a cab at port you can avoid that for the most part.

Hard to pick favorites and least favorites because to me, as long as I'm on a tropical island on vacation, I'm having a great time :D

Ports I would love to visit again-

St. Thomas, Antigua, Grand Cayman, Tortola

Ports that I would miss-

Freeport & Nassau - only because I've been there several times both via air and sea.

San Juan

Ports that I would love to visit but haven't been to yet-

HMC (2 1/2 weeks!!)

St. Maarten

St. Lucia

Barbados

Aruba

Western Mexico Ports (Cabo, Acapulco)

We visited Ocho Rios in Feb. and had a good time. Usually we do not spend money on tours but do our own thing. Jimmy Buffets was a very delightful stop with the ship in sight and very close. We also walk toward the downtown area and that was an experience. The main thing is to walk, don't look up or talk, these people are very rude and if you least say hello they will follow you until you say no no no. I never felt unsafe although one time this older gentleman approached us and followed for just a bit until another approached and got in an argument with the first guy. I believe the first guy breached the second guys end zone. Before long two nicely dressed lady police stopped the argument and offered to call us a cab, we headed back to the ship.

My DW has a difficult time not speaking to these guys and stops to hear their spill and I have to get her away or we would still be there.

To name a few

We avoid the Grand Caymen Islands if possible.

Aruba was a slight let down but OK.

Nassau is OK.

San Juan is OK.

Mexico is OK.

We do the Hiking, biking and nature things if possible.

St. Thomas is good due to St. Johns is just a boat ride and has National Park.

Archived