AMA Prague to Nuremberg

newfirsttimer

Does anyone know if the bus that takes you from Prague to Nuremberg to pick up the boat, stops in any of the towns before getting to Nuremberg? I know it does a tour of Nuremberg before boarding but does it stop along the way? In the opposite direction, i.e. from Nuremberg to Prague, it does stop.

The AMA bus stops in Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad) and you have time to walk around the town and have lunch before leaving for Nuemberg. I have no information about other cruise lines or public transportation.

The AMA bus stops in Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad) and you have time to walk around the town and have lunch before leaving for Nuemberg. I have no information about other cruise lines or public transportation.

Thanks. We are on AMA and I was hoping that the bus would stop in that town but neither AMA or their brochures made the statement to that effect. Thanks again. Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

I asked for and got the following information from AMA: I hope you find this of value!!

Day 1, DEPART USA. Board your overnight flight to Prague, Czech Republic.

Day 2, ARRIVE IN PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC. Arrive in Prague and transfer to your hotel. The balance of the day is free to start exploring this beautiful city.

Day 3, PRAGUE. Your morning's sightseeing tour reveals why Prague is considered one of Europe's most attractive cities. Visit the 1,000-year-old Hradcany Castle courtyard, St. Vitus and then walk over the Charles Bridge to the Old Market Square. The evening is free to mingle with the locals at Wenceslas Square, shop for souvenirs or enjoy one of the many charming cafés or restaurants in Prague. (B)

Day 4, PRAGUE. Spend a day at your leisure to relax and stroll through a museum or gallery, wander along the banks of the Vlatava River, relax at an outdoor restaurant or shop for local handicrafts and art work. This afternoon, participate in an optional tour to Terezin, the infamous **** WWII concentration camp, now serving as a memorial to those who perished. (B)

Day 5, PRAGUE – KARLOVY VARY – EMBARKATION – NUREMBERG, GERMANY. Depart from Prague after

breakfast. Enjoy a short stop in Karlovy Vary, better known by its German name, Carlsbad, which is famous for its

Bohemian Spas. After lunch, drive through the pastoral countryside to Nuremberg, the capital of Franconia.

Tonight, gather onboard for a Gala Welcome Dinner. The ship will moor overnight in Nuremberg. (B,D)

Day 6, NUREMBERG – CROSSING THE CONTINENTAL DIVIDE – DIETFURT. Enjoy a guided morning tour of this historic city with its fabulous Gothic churches and elegantly impressive walls. See the storybook 900-year-old ramparts that surround the city, the Imperial Castle and the Justice Palace where the War Crimes Tribunal sat in 1946. At lunchtime, rejoin the ship further along the Main-Danube Canal and continue to the highest point of you cruise - 1,332 feet above sea level before descending through stair-step locks to the charming Bavarian town of Dietfurt. (B,L,D)

Day 7, REGENSBURG. This morning’s scenic cruising takes you through the final stretch of the Main-Danube Canal to arrive in magnificent Regensburg, one of Germany's best preserved medieval cities. A guided tour will show you the city's architectural highlights, including the Old Town Hall and the Porta Praetoria - gates to an ancient Roman fort which was built in 179 AD. Marvel at beautiful churches and one of the oldest bridges crossing the Danube. The rest of the afternoon is free for exploring, or to join the optional excursion to beautiful Weltenburg Abbey in the Danube Gorge. In the evening enjoy a musical performance onboard. (B,L,D)

Day 8, PASSAU - LINZ, AUSTRIA. After breakfast, arrive in picturesque Passau, where the Inn and Ilz Rivers join the Danube. Your city tour takes you on an exploration of this fairy tale city founded more than 2,000 years

ago. Or, substitute the city tour with the optional excursion to Salzburg, birthplace of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozartand the location of the Sound of Music. During your walking tour see Mozart’s birthplace. For those staying onboard, enjoy a scenic cruise from Passau into Austria and on to Linz. After dinner, take a walk through this

delightful town, Austria's third largest city and a major river port. (B,L,D)

Day 9, MELK - VIENNA. Cruise through the narrow Strudengau and reach the Wachau Valley early this morning. Your guided tour takes you to Melk's magnificent Benedictine Abbey. Return to the ship for lunch as you cruise the romantic Wachau Valley. Arrive in Vienna, the "City of Music" before dinner. Explore the magnificent Austrian capital on your own, or participate in the optional Mozart and Strauss concert. (B,L,D)

Day 10, VIENNA. See the Imperial Hofburg Palace, the Vienna Opera House, Ringstrasse, and awe-inspiring St. Stephen's Cathedral on your guided tour. Then, enjoy a free afternoon to shop, explore or visit one of the cities many museums or palaces. Perhaps, join an optional tour to the Imperial Schönbrunn Palace. Enjoy dinner as you continue your journey pass Slovakia and cruise overnight to Budapest, Hungary's vibrant capital. (B,L,D)

Day 11, BUDAPEST, HUNGARY. This morning’s guided city tour includes Buda and Pest. From historic Buda Castle you will enjoy a splendid view of the twin cities spread over both banks of the River. Your tour also features the distinctive Fisherman's Bastion, the marvelous Royal Palace, St. Stephen's Basilica, and much more. The remainder of day is at your leisure to explore the city on your own. Say farewell to your newfound friends attonight’s Gala Farewell Dinner. (B,L,D)

Day 12, DEPART BUDAPEST. Your fascinating cruise comes to an end as you transfer to the airport for your

onward flight. (B)

We went from Nuremberg to Prague in May and found Karlovy Vary to be beautiful. Once we were on our own we walked around a bit and ate at Thai Restaurant (Address: Trziste 37). My husband ordered spicy, and I had mild chicken curry. (Mild was pretty spicy in my book.) We noticed all four guides ate there.

You may notice there is still a strong Russian presence in the area. Our guide said that after their country broke off from the USSR some Russians came back to live or vacation there. With the beauty of the area that is understandable.

It may help to have a little extra time for the walk back to the parking area to take pictures.

Thank you everyone for this information. Even my TA had trouble getting specific info from AMA regarding the 'bus trip from Prague to Nuremberg'. I had heard it was a wonderful town to visit and was hoping AMA went there as part of the trip. I love Thai food so I will be sure to have lunch there.

Archived