Clothing for Egypt?

poohkey

We will be in Egypt on November 4 and 5, doing an overnight tour. What should the ladies and the men wear for touring and then for night time? I want to be respectful of the Egyptian people, but comfortable at the same time. Plus stylishly dressed, of course.

No shorts, no sleeveless tops.

In Cairo (where I assume you are overnighting) most Egyptians dress very conservatively. You see very little skin. At a minimum I'd wear longish cropped pants and a short-sleeved shirt that goes down at least halfway on your upper arm. For me personally, I prefer lightweight pants, and I'd probably toss a lightweight long-sleeve shirt over my top when in Cairo proper (i.e., not out at the pyramids). If you're staying at a hotel in Giza, you could probably wear shorts around the property with no problem. However, I would not wear them into the city.

Edited to add: I just looked up this guide to what to wear in Egypt written by a destination expert and Egyptian who posts frequently on Tripadvisor. I think it's a great overview and very accurate, from my experience:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c74912/Cairo:Egypt:What.To.Wear.When.Visiting.Egypt.html

By the way, it should not be too hot in November. You may need a lightweight jacket or fleece if you go to the Sound and Light show as it can get chilly at night on the desert.

No shorts, no sleeveless tops.

In Cairo (where I assume you are overnighting) most Egyptians dress very conservatively. You see very little skin. At a minimum I'd wear longish cropped pants and a short-sleeved shirt that goes down at least halfway on your upper arm. For me personally, I prefer lightweight pants, and I'd probably toss a lightweight long-sleeve shirt over my top when in Cairo proper (i.e., not out at the pyramids). If you're staying at a hotel in Giza, you could probably wear shorts around the property with no problem. However, I would not wear them into the city.

Edited to add: I just looked up this guide to what to wear in Egypt written by a destination expert and Egyptian who posts frequently on Tripadvisor. I think it's a great overview and very accurate, from my experience:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c74912/Cairo:Egypt:What.To.Wear.When.Visiting.Egypt.html

By the way, it should not be too hot in November. You may need a lightweight jacket or fleece if you go to the Sound and Light show as it can get chilly at night on the desert.

Great info...thanks.:)

Thank you for the link on Tripadvisor. After reading the article I'm still not sure on one point. What is appropriate dress for an evening dinner at a hotel? Are the usual hotels booked through tour companies resorts where we can be more casual or should we have something dressier? TIA

Thank you for the link on Tripadvisor. After reading the article I'm still not sure on one point. What is appropriate dress for an evening dinner at a hotel? Are the usual hotels booked through tour companies resorts where we can be more casual or should we have something dressier? TIA

I think it depends on the hotel and the restaurant within the hotel that you are going to. For example, the Oberoi Mena House has two very nice restaurants (one Indian and one Continental with a dinner show). For those restaurants, I'd dress nicely. If you ate in their moderate restaurant/coffee shop (I think it's called the Khan el Khalili), you probably would not need to dress up.

What hotel are you staying in?

I think it depends on the hotel and the restaurant within the hotel that you are going to. For example, the Oberoi Mena House has two very nice restaurants (one Indian and one Continental with a dinner show). For those restaurants, I'd dress nicely. If you ate in their moderate restaurant/coffee shop (I think it's called the Khan el Khalili), you probably would not need to dress up.

What hotel are you staying in?

Once again, thank you, Cynthia. Your advice is always welcome. We are going to stay at Le Meridien Pyramids Hotel.

Going to jump in here. A friend of mine from a ladies organization I am involved with here just returned from Egypt. She is from Cairo and visits her sister and family there yearly. I saw her today and spoke at length with her about dressing........

There are four areas to concern 1) cities 2) touring the sites 3) resort areas such as Hurghada (where we are going for 2 nights)4) on board Nile ship

In the cities: No sleeveless tops. Even short sleeves are not well tolerated. If you wear a short sleeve - put a shirt or jacket on over. No low necklines. No shorts. Pants or longish skirts are best bet.

Touring the sites - no shorts - no sleeveless and again longer short sleeve. Carry a long sleeve shirt of jacket to cover when returning to town etc. Capris are best bet. UNLESS a mosque is involved. Long pants and long sleeves are best bet.

resort areas - swim suits and shorts in resort or beach. But if going into town capris again are best bet or at worst - long shorts (Bermuda type)

No coverups in town, best to have modest shirt.

on the ship - swimsuit for pool - take a coverup - don't walk around ship in swimsuit. Shorts and pretty much whatever during the day. Dinner is usually slacks/skirts or dressier capris etc. Very casual relaxed but still modest dress.

She and her family are Christian.....but when she wore a shorter short sleeve blouse her sister made her put a jacket on :) Guess she is used to American ways...... She is wonderful woman and still loves her native country. She commented that alot of things are changing there - not necessarily for the best. Glad I am going now.

Hope this helps TEX

No shorts. Even at the sites. Capris are ok.

I am a Floridian who just returned from Egypt a few weeks ago. In hurgada it is a resort town dress as you like at your resort according to your comfort level. In Cairo I wore capris very loose at the museum and pyramids. Our hotel was very nice but again I would not wear anything too far out there because I couldn't compete with some of the women who really gave a néw meaning to stretchwear! Don't worry wear Cotton if you have it and have a light jacket for evenings. Enjoy Egypt it is a wonderful place and the people a bigger jewels than the pyramids!

I have spent over a month on two separate trips in Egypt and soon to enjoy a couple more days in Alexandria. You will find a lot of tourists who don't give a fig, what is proper or not, 'cause its their holiday. I have seen all types, they are usually the ones climbing up some statue, right next to the sign that says do not climb on the monuments. If you are dressed respectfully, you will are treated respectfully. Our guide on our first trip said if you stick to this "no shoulders, tummys or knees" you will always be ok. Have a scarf handy to cover your head if you want to enter a mosque.

This may be a stupid question - but for woman going into a Mosque, is it specifically a scarf they need over their head, or would a hat count? Is it just covering the head - or covering it specifically with a scarf?:confused:

This may be a stupid question - but for woman going into a Mosque, is it specifically a scarf they need over their head, or would a hat count? Is it just covering the head - or covering it specifically with a scarf?:confused:

Covering the head - a hat will work.

Not sure but I think they also want the EARS covered. I know, that sounds weird but I remember somewhere someone telling me (a guide perhaps) that it is considered an "undesirable item to show" or erotic part of the female body...... hence the scarf.

am I remembering this wrong or did I get it confused somehow.....?????

anybody ???????

Not sure but I think they also want the EARS covered. I know, that sounds weird but I remember somewhere someone telling me (a guide perhaps) that it is considered an "undesirable item to show" or erotic part of the female body...... hence the scarf.

am I remembering this wrong or did I get it confused somehow.....?????

anybody ???????

I'm not sure of the reason (sexy ears? :eek:), but it is true that long scarves are preferred in conservative Middle Eastern mosques. I doubt you'd be denied entrance to a mosque that was regularly visited by tourists if you have on a hat, however.

Archived