A long shot question :)

Kim4

15 years ago, DH and I spent our honeymoon on St. Croix. We stayed at Carambola and rented a car and drove around for the week....it was fantastic.

When we were there, we stopped and had a meal at a restaurant -- I remember it was in either of the two main cities. The building that the restaurant was in was white, and the restaurant was on the second floor with open-air seating. We had THE MOST FANTASTIC stuffed mushrooms while we were there. So fantastic that I'm still talking about them 15 years later :)

Does that sound at all familiar to anyone? We'd like to go back to that restaurant, and I"m pretty sure I could pick it out if was in the area. I'm leaning right now that I'm 60% sure it was in Christiansted.

Anyone have a guess where that restaurant may be or maybe even the name of it?

Wow, did the links one of the posters bring back memories. The pub in the pictures along the boardwalk is a really good place. I was there about 20 years ago when my, then, boyfriend was working in St. Croix. I remember going there to wait for him to get off of work. I guess it's about time for me to take a trip back!

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is the changed-hands-more-times-than-I-can-remember restaurant site at the NE corner of Queen Cross and Strand streets in Christiansted. I don't think it is open now, but surely someone will attempt it once the economy changes, lol.

It was Tivoli Gardens when we first arrived. It is upstairs and open air (Bacchus is AC'ed, Brewpub is direct waterfront). You can see the water from the tables but really only along the railing.

Hopefully you find the answer, best of luck.

I think Tivoli Gardens was it -- that name sounds so familiar. *sigh* well, I'm sad that it's closed -- but I guess we'll just have to explore and find a new favorite place!

Thank you all SO MUCH for helping!

Kim

You are welcome, and I do hope you find a new fave- when are you visiting? Several of my fave restaurants are on vacation for the month but we have so many good ones to choose.

We'll be there next June. We're thinking about heading to Carambola for the day :)

We'll be in St. Croix in December for the first time in many years. Any suggestions for beaches very near the ship? Love to find a nearby beach with restrooms/food/beverages available. Thanks if you can help.

The last time we came in on a ship, the local folks ran a barbeque party for those of us on a Princess and a HAL ship. Both Captains agreed we could sail a little late and we had a blast. The local people were so friendly and good to us, we're happy to be returning.

• 3 weeks later...
Carambola has a beautiful beach but I'd prefer to eat at Eat @ Cane Bay, yum yum yum. Can't promise stuffed shrooms but I bet they'd try if you asked!

Thepeacha - you have the life I was suppose to have. Back in 1990 my then boyfriend was working in St Croix in construction. We are both from California and he went over to work there after the hurricanes in that timeframe. I was there for about a month and thought it was going to be my new home. Alas, things didn't go as planned. However, I still remember beautiful St. Croix. I have a question for you. I'm not sure what area it was in but there was a Chart House Restaurant we went to a few times right on a bay kind of area. If I remember right you could take a short "ferry ride" across that bay to a little "island". On this little island they had music and dancing. Does that sound familiar to you and what area of St. Croix would that be. I remember standing on the boardwalk outside of the Chart House and looking across that little bay area thinking one day I would be back. I'm thinking after 20 years, it might be time.

While in St Croix, I had another wonderful or two experiences that I loved. I was there during turtle hatching season and had the great pleasure of being on a secluded St Croix beach twice when all around us on the sand baby turtles started popping up and running for the ocean. It was so incredible.

• 3 weeks later...

Chloedmom... very sweet, But I am sadly no longer an islander... moved stateside three weeks ago and missing most things under the Cruzan sun. Sorry things didn't go to plan... we learned so many good life lessons there, I hope you can return to STX and make a great life there, or a fabulous vacation at the very least. ;)

The Chart House was on the boardwalk, on the eastern end. There is still a hotel on the Cay there, with shuttle boats running back and forth. They do a buffet with cultural activities here weekly... Wednesdays? The Chart house is long shuttered, but their booths live on at Bacchus, one of my all time fave restaurants.

As a former CA and Cruzan girl, I wish you well...

Chloedmom... very sweet, But I am sadly no longer an islander... moved stateside three weeks ago and missing most things under the Cruzan sun. Sorry things didn't go to plan... we learned so many good life lessons there, I hope you can return to STX and make a great life there, or a fabulous vacation at the very least. ;)

The Chart House was on the boardwalk, on the eastern end. There is still a hotel on the Cay there, with shuttle boats running back and forth. They do a buffet with cultural activities here weekly... Wednesdays? The Chart house is long shuttered, but their booths live on at Bacchus, one of my all time fave restaurants.

As a former CA and Cruzan girl, I wish you well...

Thank you for your response. I bet you are missing things Cruzan under the Sun! I hope all is going well with your transition to stateside life. No new life on St Croix for me but would like to go back for a vacation. Sad to hear the Chart House is no longer there - we had some great times while I was there. I'm sure the island has changing alot since then.

Thanks again.:):)

Archived