Gem - television outputs??

LadyBerard

I have sailed on over 10 NCL cruises, and the last time we sailed (Epic transatlantic), there were no channels running movies and situation comedies, etc. for free as there were on all our previous cruises. However, you could rent them (which we did ......3 at $11.99 each). We will be sailing on 1/1/11 on the Gem, and as we have 6 days seas, and since the recent reviews on the Gem state that there are no movie channels (free), could someone please tell me if there are outlet ports in the television where we can plug in our portable dvd player or laptop into to watch our own dvds? Thanks.

@LadyBerard

We have sailed the Gem twice, both times with our iPod touch. I have tried on both cruises to find a video-in setting, so we might be able to watch our own stuff on the large screen. No dice. Which does not mean it can't done, just that I was not able to do it.

First of all you need to be talking about video *inputs* (vs outputs).

The suites will have the newer flat panel TV with lots of auxillary input choices. The regular cabins will most likely have the older CRT tvs...some will have composite video inputs (the yellow RCA jack). For the sound, you will need a red and a white RCA jack on both the media source and the TV. If you have those, all you need is the appropriate cable. You will use the TV remote to select a source a source has a matching output jack, all you need is the appropriate cable.

Another rub is that in many cases, the access to these jacks is very limited (the TVs are mounted to the shelves)

Frankly, the portable tv screens in most of the cabins aren't that large anyway. You would probably be better off using a portable DVD video player...

While their screens maybe even smaller than the portable tvs, you are most likely only a foot or so away on a bed or table, instead of on the other side of the cabin several feet away...

Archived