Anxiety over kid haters!

OT2Be2004

You don't openly bash some groups because it's politcally unacceptable. The only groups it's openly acceptable to bash are kids and smokers. You'll see whole threads devoted to bashing both...hence "looking for a no smoking cruiseline/ship; looking for an Adults Only cruiseline/ship". I even saw a thread bashing overweight people that was just ridiculous. I don't smoke, have kids and I'm not overweight, gay, or any of the other recipients of the flack. I don't have a problem cruising with kids, smokers, gays or overweight people. There was a HUGE thread bashing a particular ship leaving out of PR because it had lots of Puerto Ricans on the ship...SHOCKING. It advised people to avoid the ship. We booked the cruise and our TA actually said, "Will it bother you if there are lots of Puerto Ricans on Board? I'm just warning you because I booked some people who came back and complained. I don't know what they expected since it left from Puerto Rico, but I'm just making sure you are ok. It was a great cruise and everyone we met was friendly and open. Some people aren't satisfied unless EVERYONE is following their lifestyle. Some people just need to bash someone else to feel good about themselves. Go enjoy the cruise and don't worry about what anyone thinks..unless they say something...then tell them you feel sorry for them. The world is full of whiners.

griffy116: You make some good observations. There are groups that are seen as off limits, while others can be insulted and bashed with impunity. I do want to point out though that asking about a non-smoking or adults only cruise line or ship is not the same thing as bashing. If someone would prefer not to be around smoking that is absolutely his/her right and says nothing about how that person treats, speaks of, or even perceives smokers themselves. Ditto for adults who might prefer a cruise without children onboard. The fact is that many of the people who ask about an adults only cruise are parents or grandparents who adore their children/grandchildren and enjoy being around children in general, but who want a cruise without either theirs or someone else's. There are teachers who love their jobs, but who would sure like a break from children on a cruise/vacation. There are some adults who simply put would prefer a vacation without children. None of that has anything to do with whether someone is a "kid hater." To be honest, I'm not fond of that term because it's used by some so broadly to, well, bash anyone who dares to say, "We'd like a break from children. Is there a cruise line that would work?" It's as if to say, "If you don't want to be around children on your cruise, you are a bashing kid-hater." Most of the time, it's simply not true. In those cases, it almost seems as if the attitude is "We love cruising with our children, so everyone should love cruising with children." That's as bad as saying, "Children don't belong on cruises" because they absolutely do.

beachchick

griffy116: You make some good observations. There are groups that are seen as off limits, while others can be insulted and bashed with impunity. I do want to point out though that asking about a non-smoking or adults only cruise line or ship is not the same thing as bashing. If someone would prefer not to be around smoking that is absolutely his/her right and says nothing about how that person treats, speaks of, or even perceives smokers themselves. Ditto for adults who might prefer a cruise without children onboard. The fact is that many of the people who ask about an adults only cruise are parents or grandparents who adore their children/grandchildren and enjoy being around children in general, but who want a cruise without either theirs or someone else's. There are teachers who love their jobs, but who would sure like a break from children on a cruise/vacation. There are some adults who simply put would prefer a vacation without children. None of that has anything to do with whether someone is a "kid hater." To be honest, I'm not fond of that term because it's used by some so broadly to, well, bash anyone who dares to say, "We'd like a break from children. Is there a cruise line that would work?" It's as if to say, "If you don't want to be around children on your cruise, you are a bashing kid-hater." Most of the time, it's simply not true. In those cases, it almost seems as if the attitude is "We love cruising with our children, so everyone should love cruising with children." That's as bad as saying, "Children don't belong on cruises" because they absolutely do.

beachchick

Very good point indeed. For our honeymoon, DH and I wanted a cruise that catered to more adults so we chose a TA on Celebrity in September. It didn't mean we hated kids (we have a beautiful 1 year old DD now) but we wanted something that was more adult oriented. In fact, we were probably two of the youngest people on the ship. :) Now that we have a child, things have changed. We are looking for family friendly lines with great kids programs. We expect lots of kids on the cruises we choose.

Unfortunately in this world, you can't please everyone. There are always going to be people who find fault with things....whether it be kids or smoking or deck chair hogs. Sometimes you just have to take it with a grain of salt. Don't let it ruin your cruise. And for those who cruise during the summer or during holiday breaks on family friendly cruise lines, they need to realize that there are going to be lots of kids. Most don't mind and for those that do, just don't let it get to you. Easier said than done I know! :)

We are cruising in Carnival next month and I have been on thier boards quite a bit lately. It seems that there are a ton of anti-kid posts and how people hate kids on cruises! They have actually said they hate kids! Our daughter will be 16 mons old and I am dreading having an encounter with one of these kind of people! I am pregnant again and I have had some hormonal outbursts at times and I worry about chucking someone overboard! (kidding kind of) But I don't want our vacation ruined by someone giving us lip! Anyone ever encounter this? Am I worrying over nothing?

Yes, you are worrying for nothing. Never had an issue on board. In fact most people, including staff, coo over your child the whole cruise.

Archived