How visible is the cruise director?

coffeebean

What you have to know is that EPIC is different. There is a Cruise Director (Silas) and an Entertainment Director (Simon). Due to the extreme amount of entertainment and activities, the job of the traditional CD was split.

I can honestly say that I saw Silas every day (most days many times) of the trip. He was everywhere (other than shows). He hosted activities all over the ship and each of the dance parties at Spice H20. Silas was at Bliss most nights too. He even ran in to Moderno one night because he saw us at the hostess desk and we chatted a few minutes. Silas even joined us at Carlos and Charlie's for a couple of hours in Cozumel. Obviously, we became fast friends, but that is not the reason we saw him daily... he was just everywhere!

On the other hand, Simon Murray. He should be the one at the shows, introducing the acts, perhaps at Howl at the Moon or Cirque Dreams. Directing the entertainmnet. I NEVER saw him a single time other than the CC Meet and Greet.

~Intrepid <-- it's all your perspective.

Usually the film director is responsible for capturing a vision on film, working behind the scenes with the actors and the cameramen/women, not standing in front of the audience introducing the movie...

Just sayin'.

We also enjoyed Silas as cruise director. Were able to visit with him at the meet and greet and discovered he still has family in southern Oregon. Ran in to him often on the ship and he never failed to stop and visit and mention upcoming event he thought we might enjoy. He was great at the FABBA show at Spice H2O - that man can dance! He's seems younger than many cruise directors and is high energy and enthusiastic without being goofy or obnoxious. I think he's a good fit for the Epic. When we finally had to leave the Epic Silas was there to give us a hug goodbye.

PS note for Silas if NCL reads this thread and for any CC'ers who like wine and may visit southern Oregon

Oregon wineries for Baco Noir - Giradet, Melrose, Bradley

Link to good article about many of the southern Oregon wineries

http://www.highonadventure.com/Hoa09jun/Larry/UmpquaWine.htm

We live north, halfway between Portland & Salem where there are so many wineries to chose from within easy driving distance. Three of our favorites are DePonte, Arborbrook and Vitas Ridge.

Usually the film director is responsible for capturing a vision on film, working behind the scenes with the actors and the cameramen/women, not standing in front of the audience introducing the movie...

Just sayin'.

Hmm. Sure. However in a traditional setting (which I know this is not) the CD is usually at the big shows doing an intro... I assumed (bad I know) that the ED would show up once or twice. Thats all. But he never did, and I did not miss him.

~Intrepid <-- doesn't take direction well...

I assumed (bad I know) that the ED would show up once or twice. Thats all. But he never did, and I did not miss him.

~Intrepid <-- doesn't take direction well...

SJBDTZ=====> Hoping the ED doesn't show up for many years to come, either!!! :o:p:rolleyes:

They don't exist

Agreed. Unfortunately they are all too visible and worse, all too loud. They interrupt a pleasant vacation with constant announcements.

The one thing I liked about Cunard was that you generally didn't hear their CD on the PA. Actually, if NCL would ban the CD from using the PA, I probably wouldn't mind them,

Apparently you never went on a cruise with an EXCELLENT cruise director. They can make the whole cruise experience more enjoyable and much more FUN :)

We too don't need a cruise director to make our cruise in fact its totally opposite. Most are annoying and irritating at best, with their bingo push, ticket pushing at the show and of course their endless intercom announcements.

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the Epic a couple of weeks ago and Silas is one of the nicest most approachabel CD's I have ever had. He was everywhere making sure we were all having a great time! We even joked that there was more than one of him bcs you would be at one end of the ship and talk to him then walk to the other side of the ship and he was there too and sometimes had done a wardrobe change..lol. He was wonderfull!

We were on the Star two weeks ago and since this was our first cruise we have nothing to compare to, but Candy Finkel...? (can't remember her whole last name) was very visible. She introduced every nightly show that we attended and we only missed one night, she hosted all the adult games in the Spinnaker lounge, she roamed about the ship and was very approachable, and she did the drills on the ship that have to be done when passengers are in port. Those are only the jobs that we were aware of. Her staff also roamed about the ship and since we had been introduced to most of the directors at our CC Meet and Greet we felt like we could approach each and every one when they weren't busy. And we weren't disappointed.

By the way, we were prepared to hear the annoying announcements all day long and we don't think they were that frequent. In fact if we were watching something on the TV, we had to open the cabin door to hear any of the announcement. Our first cruise was tremendous.

Silas was our cruise director on the Pride of America. We found him to be fun at first, but by the end of the week, it got a bit obnoxious. I think, though, that maybe he was just too much for the tye of cruise that the POA is. From what I've read about the Epic, Silas is probably very well suited for the role on that ship.

In most of our recent cruises, the CD was only seen at the shows in the Stardust Theater or at the Latitudes parties. We spoke with various memebers of the CD staff and they said that the CD position is more of an administrative position these days.

The Assistant CD is the one that you will see at all of the CD staff events.

We were on the Epic a couple of weeks ago and Silas is one of the nicest most approachabel CD's I have ever had. He was everywhere making sure we were all having a great time! We even joked that there was more than one of him bcs you would be at one end of the ship and talk to him then walk to the other side of the ship and he was there too and sometimes had done a wardrobe change..lol. He was wonderfull!

Any chance you know how long Silas will be on Epic? We will be on the Oct. 16th sailing and hopefully he will be our CD. The only other CD I would love to see on Epic is Matt Baker.

I have my favorite cruise directors and in many cases, the CD has made the cruise so much more enjoyable. NCL's Matt Baker and RCCL's Richard Spacey comes to mind.

With all the reviews and reading I have done on Epic, not once have I read about the Cruise Director having any impact at all on the experience of sailing on Epic.

Epic seems to offer a different cruise experience which I am looking forward to. Will Epic's CD be around the ship at all?

Hi there,

We met Silas Cook, Epic CD, during the M & G, and he remembered us the whole cruise. He is a really nice young man and very personable. He really tries to get everyone involved in the parties and I was impressed with his positive outlook. ALL the senior staff are very approachable and we had various conversations with all of them. Always a smile, a greeting, and the ever present "do you need anything?" I cannot say enough about Epic's staff. They made our silver anniversary not just memorable, but down right perfect...

That's a great point. I don't like that either, especially if folks like to nap in the afternoon. Are there many announcements during the day on Epic??? Anyone want to elaborate on that???

Not that many that I noticed and I never heard them while napping in the room...

Any chance you know how long Silas will be on Epic? We will be on the Oct. 16th sailing and hopefully he will be our CD. The only other CD I would love to see on Epic is Matt Baker.

Sorry, Silas told me the other day that he is still scheduled to end his current contract on 10/16. That still stands as of now, of course unless he gets extended again, he was supposed to be leaving this Saturday 10/09. I do not know who is replacing him. Silas will be back, as of now, mid December though he is trying to stay off ship until the new year.

~Intrepid

Archived