Buying wine in Boston?

jplewis

I've posted this on the ports board but didn't get an answer. As the Spirit sails out of Boston I thought someone may know of convenient places in downtown to pick up a bottle or two of wine. Does anyone know if grocery stores there sell wine?

Thanks,

Near the ship, can't think of any place with a good deal (Black Falcon terminal is kind of out of the way). How familiar with the area are you, and what kind of transportation are you using (i.e. will you be driving yourself)? Also, are you looking for any class of wine (cheapest, anything, mid-grade, fine wine)?

Answer me these questions 3 and I can direct you to a place for wine.

That is true about the Shaws, luckily, after some research I found they do in fact sell beer, wine and liquor (only a handfull of Shaws do). Please note that in MA, liquor sections in supermarkets have different hours than the rest of the store, so make sure its not too late at night. Make sure to sign up for a Shaws card, since even their wines usually are on sale with a card (its a free program).

There is also a Best Cellars right down the street from Shaws on Boylston, although they can be a bit overpriced.

There is a Trader Joe's there too, but the Boylston St. location does not have alcohol, otherwise I would suggest trying the surprisingly good-for-its price two buck chuck (Charles Shaw wines for 2.99 actually, inflation happens).

Closest to the terminal:

Dorgan's Package Store

664 East Broadway,

South Boston, MA -

(617) 307-6307

If you are taking a taxi to the terminal you could have them swing by there first. 10 min detour probably add $5 to your fare!

I would suggest buying b4 you head to the cruise port!

Closest to the terminal:

Dorgan's Package Store

664 East Broadway,

South Boston, MA -

(617) 307-6307

If you are taking a taxi to the terminal you could have them swing by there first. 10 min detour probably add $5 to your fare!

I would suggest buying b4 you head to the cruise port!

Shaw's would be cheaper and near the hotel, usually the independent Packies are really overpriced when it comes to wine. Even though everything else is cheaper in Boston, I feel like in NY there are better deal on wine available.

Edited by Dajbman22

Shaw's would be cheaper and near the hotel, usually the independent Packies are really overpriced when it comes to wine. Even though everything else is cheaper in Boston, I feel like in NY there are better deal on wine available.

Yes, but if you're gonna spend the $15 corkage fee, at least bring a good bottle of wine! ;)

I've posted this on the ports board but didn't get an answer. As the Spirit sails out of Boston I thought someone may know of convenient places in downtown to pick up a bottle or two of wine. Does anyone know if grocery stores there sell wine?

Thanks,

Beer, wine and hard liquor are sold in package stores in Mass. Only a very few grocery stores hold a liquor license . If you fly in just tell your cabie you need a packie wicked bad and he'll get ya there

Thanks so much for all the replies. Shaw's it is!- Iceman, can you recommend a good wine?

If you like nicer belnds, I suggest the Lolonis Ladybug. It is usually between $10-$20 and they have a red (Zin, Carignane, Merlot and Cab) and a white (Colombard, Semillon, Chenin Blanc and Chardonnay). If you are looking for under $10... Charles Shaw, Tilsdale, and Beringer are the most drinkable of that class of wine.

One footnote to the wine issue....beer and wine is usually not be sold on Sundays in Mass. in supermarkets. Some sell it after noon, others do not. This dates back to "blue laws" (Puritan law). If you are looking to procure wine or beer, my suggestion is do it before Sunday.

I'd recommend St. Francis, Rodney Strong, or Beringer as a mid range $15-20 wine selection. Enjoy your cruise.

I echo CruizinSherry's thanks. We are staying right in town also for couple of days before cruise and are somewhat familiar with Boston. I had also done some research and found the Federal Wines and the other one on Boylston that would be convenient for us. Will check out the Shaw's, wasn't sure they carried wine.

Thanks, again.

We now purchase larger bottles of wine. Most of the time they charge you the $15 corkage fee no matter what size bottle you bring on, so for us it makes sense to just take a chance (they could charge you $20 for larger bottle) and buy our favorite wine in a larger bottle so we have more wine to enjoy for the same corkage fee.

• 1 year later...