Tiers???

eazyrider516

I heard there are different tier levels on the QE2. Meaning for different price levels you eat in different restaurants, there is a different class of service, etc... Can anyone confirm this.

Hi

Yes, just as on many aircraft and in a few hotels, there were different grades on the Queen Elizabeth 2. Before she retired from service with Cunard, depending on the grade of cabin you booked, you dined in different restaurants (Mauretania, Caronia, Britannia/Princess Grill, Queens Grill). The service was excellent across all grades but was, in theory, even better the higher the grade.

Hope this helps.

EasyRider

Yes there are differences on QM2. The more expensive staterooms, Queens Grill and Princess Grill do have their own dining rooms, and of course the staterooms are larger and more luxurious, some even have a Butler, as well as a cabin steward.

However if you are in the "regular" rooms,you will dine in the Britannia, two seatings normally. Food well of course it does vary depending on the cooks, menu's etc, and your own likes and dislikes.

Once you are outside the "staterooms/cabins" except for dining you will not notice any difference, the public rooms are open to all, Library (which is very good), showroom, etc.

I book D8 the least expensive , and I have never had a problem mixing with other passengers, I never ask "how much did you pay" and I do not expect others to ask me that.

I am unable to answer re using a scooter, I do need a wheelchair for airports and boarding, but can get around on board , providing there is somewhere to rest on the way.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Easy Rider, You should have no problem with your wheelchair or scooter. The ship is very accessable. You will have to store it in your room when not in use, so that may help in your room size decision. Scooters are allowed, but Segways are not allowed any more.

As Lynn says, there are multiple room categories with different dining facilities. A1toD are inside, porthole, and balcony rooms. You will dine in the Britannia Dining room or one of the public choices, Kings Court, Pub, Sir Samuels (a favorite of Jimsgirl- Lynn) or Todd English (a supplement is required for Todd English , $20 lunch, $30 Dinner.) If you travel in the Princess Grill (P1-P3) accomodations you will have a balcony and will dine in the Princess Grill, If your in the Queens Grill (Q1-Q7) you will dine in the Queens Grill.

It would be a good idea to look at the Cunard web site to get a further description of each of these accomodation categories, the services which apply, the size and the cost. You can then choose the best one for you.

You can tailor your accomodations to your needs and you will have a terrific time, no matter which category you select. And there is no problem with meeting nice people regardless of which category you choose.

Good sailing

Mike

EasyRider

Yes there are differences on QM2. The more expensive staterooms, Queens Grill and Princess Grill do have their own dining rooms, and of course the staterooms are larger and more luxurious, some even have a Butler, as well as a cabin steward.

However if you are in the "regular" rooms,you will dine in the Britannia, two seatings normally. Food well of course it does vary depending on the cooks, menu's etc, and your own likes and dislikes.

Once you are outside the "staterooms/cabins" except for dining you will not notice any difference, the public rooms are open to all, Library (which is very good), showroom, etc.

I book D8 the least expensive , and I have never had a problem mixing with other passengers, I never ask "how much did you pay" and I do not expect others to ask me that.

I am unable to answer re using a scooter, I do need a wheelchair for airports and boarding, but can get around on board , providing there is somewhere to rest on the way.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Our closest friend's late mother used a scooter. There were definately some sore toes after that cruise. It was her first time using it. It was like teaching a teen how to drive. The QM does have abundant resting ares. Among the best at sea.

Our closest friend's late mother used a scooter. There were definately some sore toes after that cruise. It was her first time using it. It was like teaching a teen how to drive. The QM does have abundant resting ares. Among the best at sea.

One of the most amusing things we saw, was an elderly gentleman in Kings Court (where it is so easy to get lost) zooming around on his scooter with his poor wife jogging along behind trying to keep him in sight as he whizzed around corners. He was very independent.

I would imagine, she really appreciated the rest areas :)

Archived