A/C concerns

travelgenie

We have a trip planned in September on the Ryndam through the Panama Canal for 17 days. I have been looking at these boards, mostly for information concerning the Ryndam and info about our itinenary but have definitely been caught up in the concerns about the A/C on the Veendam. I believe the Ryndam is the same class ship, a year older if the info I looked at is correct, so I am getting worried that we could possibly have the same problem, especially since the ship is headed out of Alaska to hot and steamy Panama. After experiencing the hottest summer that I can remember here on the east coast, the thoughts of not having adequate A/C for 17 days is worrisome to say the least. Does anyone know of any such issues?

We have a trip planned in September on the Ryndam through the Panama Canal for 17 days. I have been looking at these boards, mostly for information concerning the Ryndam and info about our itinenary but have definitely been caught up in the concerns about the A/C on the Veendam. I believe the Ryndam is the same class ship, a year older if the info I looked at is correct, so I am getting worried that we could possibly have the same problem, especially since the ship is headed out of Alaska to hot and steamy Panama. After experiencing the hottest summer that I can remember here on the east coast, the thoughts of not having adequate A/C for 17 days is worrisome to say the least. Does anyone know of any such issues?

Duck and cover, travelgenie! I asked the same question about the Maasdam the other day after actually reading of air cond problems on that ship and ended up accused of being a spy from Crystal and being engaged in "economic sabotage" to bring HAL down! You never know who's around that lives in a fantasy world when you post on the internet.

I know, I read all that today, which is what got me to thinking about it in the first place, that thread got a little out of control. I thought the purpose of these boards was to be able to ask questions, share experiences and offer useful information. Over the years I have been able to get some really good advice and information, things seemed to have changed this past year, I had an unpleasant experience last winter on the Celebrity boards. I only look at these boards when I have a trip scheduled or looking for information to plan a cruise and we use many different lines. I am always so amazed at how many people are loyal to only one particular cruise line and get so defensive if it is critiqued. We are always so grateful to get away on any line and always have a wonderful trip and make the most out of any experience, just thought I would inquire if maybe I should stop at a Walmart on my way to the port and bring my own fan!

It's too bad that people feel like they can't ask questions without the HAL cheerleaders coming out and making outragous claims. Some people sreiously have too much time on their hands. I hope you guys won't stop asking questions.....because then they've won. I totally understand however, sometimes I don't have the energy for CC.

It's too bad that people feel like they can't ask questions without the HAL cheerleaders coming out and making outragous claims. Some people sreiously have too much time on their hands. I hope you guys won't stop asking questions.....because then they've won. I totally understand however, sometimes I don't have the energy for CC.

Thanks, Lorie- I, too, like CC much better when folk are on their better behavior!

When they are not, bless their hearts!:)

TL

I can't speak of the Ryndam but... we were on the Zuiderdam in January and felt the AC was not as cold as we would have liked... it was just so hot out. Our take wasn't that there were problems - as much as we thought HAL was trying to balance costs of running AC and considering that it isn't great to be going from hot and sticky to ice cold air...

I do not know of any such issues as I have no experience with said ship.

It might be worth a phone call to HAL to ask the question as you have posted it on here. It might be a wasted conversation, but it might also be worth that time taken to talk with someone and find out what accommodations may be in case of said A/C failure or what actions might have been taken to insure it does not happen in the future.

Hope this idea helps and I really hope you have no A/C issues on your vacation.

Talk to HAL directly about this. No one on the board has the authority to give you assurances or guarantees. Set out your needs and make HAL confirm an alternative if your specific needs are not met. If they can't give you this assurance and insurance, then by all means do not choose HAL.

Obviously this is very important to you and you need to know before you make your decision, so best advice is to act preventively and directly with HAL and HAL alone. If you can't get A/C the way you want it and HAL cannot offer you any guarantees or alternatives, why would you take the risk?

No go, is what I would do.

I feel the same way! I'm glad you posted this. :)

We've been on six cruises on s class ships and never had a/c problems. That includes all four s class ships. We haven't been on these in the last couple of years, but will be on the Statendam this fall. Yes, we are hoping for good a/c as heat really bothers both of us.

We've also been on r class, vista and signature class. We have never had a/c problems on a cruise, but have always been aware that a/c or plumbing problems can occur on any ship in any cruise line. The a/c at sometimes is a little cooler or warmer than we prefer, but we find the same thing elsewhere.

We have cruised both the Veendam and the Ryndam.

On the Veendam we did five weeks from Vancouver to Tampa via the Canal and the Amazon River with broken A/C after San Diego! It was not too bad for us but some of our fellow pax suffered miserably. This was after both our travel agent and ourselves had been told on two separate occasions that the past/chronic A/C problems on Veendam had been rectified! We received a $1400 cruise only credit from HAL following the cruise, (others received compensation too but, as I recall, far lesser amounts). That was in 2008.

A year later we cruised the Sea of Cortez on Ryndam and the A/C worked just fine!

Over the two years I have stopped responding to the A/C threads about Veendam simply because they seem to be endless. I have no idea why the Veendam has a chronic problem with its A/C but clearly, no matter what the cheerleaders say, it has a problem with the A/C that HAL engineers, and I assume others, have never been able to fix. I remain convinced that the day they drag it up on the ship-breaker's beach in India to be chopped up it will arrive with broken A/C.

Aside from the A/C problem the Veendam is a wonderful ship; and the only reason we cruised the Ryndam was because it is Veendam's sister!

Travelgenie, I *completely* understand this query. For me, this is a medical issue. I worried myself into a lather about Ryndam a/c for my 14 day Alaska cruise exactly a year ago.

Board regular RuthC kindly "talked me down from the ledge", so to speak. While anything can break on any ship without warning, Ryndam doesn't have the systemic a/c woes of Veendam.

And while Alaska isn't Panama, there was record heat in Alaska, and my inside J cabin on lower promenade deck cooled to a frosty 68F/20C.

Sadly, asking HAL about this butts up against 2 problems. HAL doesn't want to publicly concede ground on any a/c issues on any ships, fearing lawsuits and compensation claims about Veendam; and it's hard to find anyone on land who really knows the ship maintenance details.

I have a wacky theory of ship HVAC with no science whatsoever to back me up. :eek: It *seems to me* the decks with the most cabins have the most problems. More air outlets, more thermostats, more air flow needed per deck. On Ryndam, that would be A deck and Main deck.

So - I picked an inside on Lower Promenade deck. Decks with open public areas (like the Atrium), or larger rooms, seem to have more air movement there, as well as in the corridors.

Again, this is just my crazy theory...but I suspect suites don't report a/c problems as often NOT because they're wrongly given more than their fair share of the a/c...but that it's easier to cool Navigation deck rather than A deck. Fewer cabins.

I'm sure someone will post to explain why this theory is not just wrong, but dumb.

And of course, my theory goes out the window - literally - if a bunch of folks on Navigation deck prop open their balcony doors.

According to someone in the know here on another thread, rooms are not laterally connected to the same A/V system so one entire deck would not have similar problems.

There several rooms even on different decks that are interconnected in a separate and apparently self-contained group, of many of these independent ventilation groups on each ship for safety and circulation needs.

But yes, someone leaving their verandah door open can cause A/C havoc on other floors if they share this independent ventilation group. But why would only Veendam passengers leave their balcony doors open? Must be something else.

Hot air rises and cool air sinks, so the lower floors should have the advantage not the top ones if you are looking purely as an air temperature stratification matter.

Still not sure what exact temperatures got consistently recorded in any of these rooms, or for how long. Statements remain general about quality and duration of A/C issues.

In regards to the OP's question concerning the Ryndam, we spent a total of three weeks on the Ryndam this summer in three different staterooms on three different decks and had no problems with our AC. I hope this info will help you.

Thanks everyone, I am feeling better about it today, I will admit I got caught up in the threads concerning the Veendam. I am looking forward to our trip and actually my DH is a HVAC contractor, which is another reason I was asking, he is supposed to be ON VACATION, not trying to sneek his way into fixing something.

Travelgenie, I *completely* understand this query. For me, this is a medical issue. I worried myself into a lather about Ryndam a/c for my 14 day Alaska cruise exactly a year ago.

Board regular RuthC kindly "talked me down from the ledge", so to speak. While anything can break on any ship without warning, Ryndam doesn't have the systemic a/c woes of Veendam.

And while Alaska isn't Panama, there was record heat in Alaska, and my inside J cabin on lower promenade deck cooled to a frosty 68F/20C.

Sadly, asking HAL about this butts up against 2 problems. HAL doesn't want to publicly concede ground on any a/c issues on any ships, fearing lawsuits and compensation claims about Veendam; and it's hard to find anyone on land who really knows the ship maintenance details.

I have a wacky theory of ship HVAC with no science whatsoever to back me up. :eek: It *seems to me* the decks with the most cabins have the most problems. More air outlets, more thermostats, more air flow needed per deck. On Ryndam, that would be A deck and Main deck.

So - I picked an inside on Lower Promenade deck. Decks with open public areas (like the Atrium), or larger rooms, seem to have more air movement there, as well as in the corridors.

Again, this is just my crazy theory...but I suspect suites don't report a/c problems as often NOT because they're wrongly given more than their fair share of the a/c...but that it's easier to cool Navigation deck rather than A deck. Fewer cabins.

I'm sure someone will post to explain why this theory is not just wrong, but dumb.

And of course, my theory goes out the window - literally - if a bunch of folks on Navigation deck prop open their balcony doors.

I don't want to burst your bubble but the times I've had issues with the Ryndam my cabin was on the Lower Promenade deck:D. You just never know. My neighbours had worse issues then I did. I'm on the Lower Prom. on my upcoming cruise so wish me luck;).

Unfortunately the issue of AC problems will be the ultimate item to weigh in deciding whether or not to take a cruise. My husband has serious breathing issues & in a hotel you can change rooms or leave. You have an option other than trying to sleep in front of the Pursers' desk.

If the AC went out & we were in a Veranda room - we would have to prop the door open - no choice! But what would happen if we were in a very warm climate?

That's why I appreciate hearing ALL the pro's and con's on a ship. Please don't stop posting your honest comments.

If the AC went out & we were in a Veranda room - we would have to prop the door open - no choice!

No, propping the door open would not be a responsible choice. See thread of a/c and open veranda doors. In addition it would also make your cabin hotter.

Can HAL provide reasonable outdoor sleeping options on the open decks when this A/C breakdown becomes a critical problem and no other alternatives available?

What about use of the cabanas for sleeping. I almost think they would have something even regular functioning cabin passengers might like as well - sleeping outdoors under those endless skies at sea.

Archived