Things to do in a 100 mile radius of Seattle

lansingisland

We took the rental car out early and spent the day on a beautiful drive. First we drove by sequallamine falls (sp) and then drove to Mt. Rainier National Park. We drove all around Mt. Rainer and stopped at the various visitor centers. It was a georgeous day and a nice pre-cursor to our Alaskan adventure.

Can anyone tell me anything about the Boeing Museum? I think this is something we would like to see. Do you have to prearrange a tour or can you just show up and go through the museum? Thanks for any information.

I think you mean the Museum of Flight. If so check out this link, it has all the info.

http://www.museumofflight.org/index.html

-Monte

we are 2 in Seattle 2 days before the cruise,and we are taking The Spirit of Washington dinner/lunch train...its suppose to be a very scenic trip...check it out..http://www.spiritofwashingtondinnertrain.com

We took one of the boat tours that go through the locks. It was truly fascinating. I preferred it to the Panama Canal (although dh liked the PC better and I think so do most people).

We picked up the locks cruise on Seattle's waterfront, not out of Seattle, but it did give you a view of a different part of Seattle than most people see in a day.

Can anyone tell me anything about the Boeing Museum? I think this is something we would like to see. Do you have to prearrange a tour or can you just show up and go through the museum? Thanks for any information.

If you mean the Boeing tour in Everett YES you need reservations. http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/aboutus/tours/tour2ops.html#TICKETS

Very very unlikely for walk up tickets if you aren't there when they open.

Mt. St. Helen's is also a great trip.

YES 2 totally different attractions. The museum has some significant aircraft on display, the Boeing tour- shows production and you get into the largest covered building in the world- unless that record has been broken?? Nice gift shop too if of interest?

The MoF is at Boeing Field in Seattle, the Boeing factory tour is in Everett, 20 mi. north of the city. Both are worthwhile, but very different. The MoF is now IMO second only to the Smithsonian in terms of quality and diversity of the collection; the new "Personal Courage" wing - fighters from WW I and WW II - is very special indeed. Plus you can go through the last Concorde to carry paying passengers, LBJ's Air Force One, kids can fly simulators, all sorts of goodies. And the view of Mt. Rainier over the runway is one of the best around (assuming the mountain is out.)

For a short trip, I think the San Juans are a bit inconvenient, plus remember you'll have just come from, or going to, scenery that blows most of Puget Sound's attractions (nice as they are) to shame. My recommendation would be to see some of the things the Pacific NW can offer that are not viewable in an Alaska cruise.

For example, head over the Cascades - use US 12 through Mt. Rainier NP for instance - to eastern Washington. Great "old west" scenery, desert, great vinyard country around the Yakima Valley - totally different than the "wet" side of the mountains. Or do an overnight excursion - over the Cascades, south on US 97 to the Columbia River Gorge, then back up the freeway to Seattle.

Or just hang out around town and experience big-city attractions that are some of the best in the country - restaurants, shopping, galleries, parks; rent a sailboat on Lake Union or go visit the wonderful Museum of Glass in Tacoma... Wilderness and cosmopolitan city - not a bad combo for a trip.

We have had a few days of fun in Seattle while visiting friends. DH and I went to the Pacific Science Center all day long with 6, yes 6 boys ranging in age from 6 to 16. 2 were ours and 4 were the friend's boys (they had to work) We had a blast. Saw an IMAX film as part of the museum, but it is an extra charge. We also rode the downtown monorail line, went to Nike Town and Planet Hollywood.

Another fun place was Pike Street Market home of the flying fish. There is an Seattle underground tour that is suppose to be really good, but haven't been on it yet.

For a very memorable lunch the Space Needle would be an optium experience, with a big price tag. If we had only our two boys we would have done lunch there, but couldn't afford lunch for 8 people at those prices.

I'm sure that Seattle has a website that will give you lots of ideas.

Have fun

Deb

I'll put my opinion in the hopper also, since I live around Seattle. I second a lot of the ideas here: in Seattle itself I suggest Museum of Flight, Pike Place Market, Pacific Science Center, the Ballard Locks (even if on land, it's neat). Also, one not mentioned is a ferry ride from downtown Seattle to Bainbridge Island and return. Very cheap, you can do as passenger only. When we take out-of-towners on this ride, we like to time it so we return to Seattle at dusk. The downtown lights are georgeous.

For out-of-town excursions, the Spirit of Washington dinner train is nice but pricey. Also, the Blake Island trip from downtown to a Native American village is nice, but pricey. At Blake Island, you have a nice dinner and watch a NA show in a longhouse. The trip to Mt. Rainier is premier on my list. But only if the weather is cooperating. If so, there is nothing more georgeous close to the city. Then, someone mentioned Mt. St. Helens. This is quite awesome to see the power of the volcano. Very educational but a long drive.

Any questions just ask.

Bill

Archived