Shorts in dining room for women?

Tank tops are allowed in the MDR for women, but men I know have been asked to change even at lunch. Shorts are a no for both genders at dinner, but RCCL does not do very good job of enforcing the rule, suggestion, dress code, whatever.

No they don't..and after some of the scenes we have witnessed between MDR staff and irate, under dressed pax, I don't blame them. The language those pax used matched their attire. Common and low.:rolleyes:

Who wants to argue with those fashion challenged clods and risk being accosted?:eek:

Then why, like I said above, do RCCL and Celebrity put a statement in their daily newsletter asking peole to stay dressed for the evening? I don't think it's a wish to recreate the cruise experience of the 1970's. I'm perfectly happy to experience my cruises in today's world.

I believe, based on what I see on a variety of cruise ships (please see my post above) that most people prefer to dress up on formal night, and the minority is actually those that wish to dress down. Just the facts based on my observations.

Please provide proof of the statement that they ask you to stay dressed for the evening. We just got back from the FOS 2 weeks ago and were on the JOS in March. I still have the compasses and no where in them does it stay to stay dressed for the evening. We've been on 16 RCCL cruises and have never seen that. Lynda

Please provide proof of the statement that they ask you to stay dressed for the evening. We just got back from the FOS 2 weeks ago and were on the JOS in March. I still have the compasses and no where in them does it stay to stay dressed for the evening. We've been on 16 RCCL cruises and have never seen that. Lynda

I read pcurs post as a question...they weren't stating they were asked to stay dressed for the evening. They asked if RCI and Celebrity made those requests.

Ummm, I think RCCL and Celebrity ask in the daily Cruise Compass that you stay dressed for the evening. Most people don't. However, whe I change it's into a dressier pants outfit on formal nights.

Here is what I wanted her to prove. She says she thinks that RCCL ask that you stay dress for the evening. Lynda

On the Freedom the week of August 8th, shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps made a strong appearance in the MDR. RCI has one concern. Fill the ships week in and week out. The Compass had a note each evening stating that shorts were not allowed. Did not matter. The dress code added with the less than average food took me back to my high school days and the cafeteria.

On the Freedom the week of August 8th, shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps made a strong appearance in the MDR. RCI has one concern. Fill the ships week in and week out. The Compass had a note each evening stating that shorts were not allowed. Did not matter. The dress code added with the less than average food took me back to my high school days and the cafeteria.

They steal your water & then won't enforce dress code. Something's twisted-- ahh yes- they can't SELL you formal clothes, as much as they would like~

I read pcurs post as a question...they weren't stating they were asked to stay dressed for the evening. They asked if RCI and Celebrity made those requests.

It has always been my understanding on cruises the suggested attire applied to evening wear, not specifically dining room wear only.

On that note, I do know that Celebrity specifies all dining rooms, lounges and show venues for the evening.

Wow! I can't believe my eyes. I think this is the first ever negative comment I have ever heard from you about RCI. Now I know that I have not been imagining that RCI MDR food has seriously declined....... :D

I don't think that Royal Caribbean says anything about the dress code on the ships because no one in corporate will back the employees of the ship. If a Maitre D' refuses to let someone in and that person complains, the Maitre D' is in trouble and Royal Caribbean apologizes up and down to the passenger.

The waiters and head waiters encourage people to come to dinner no matter how they are dressed for formal night. We know that's a fact as we weren't going to go to dinner on a formal night because we had decided to bring clothes for one formal night only so we told our waiter we wouldn't be there the next night. He asked why and we told him and he said don't be silly, come here anyway.

The waiters want their tips and there are many who believe if they don't eat in the dining room one night, they will not tip the $5.50 for that day. So, they look the other way.

I'm not saying that one shouldn't dress as the dress code suggests, but Royal Caribbean doesn't follow all it's own rules, just the one they select. Kind of the same with the passengers, huh?

Ok... Personally, I wear slacks/nice jeans, shoes (not sneakers) and something with a collar on regular nights - steakhouse kind of attire and I wear a suit on the formal nights. But honestly I couldn't really care less about how other people dress.

Formal nights are NOT a mandatory dress code and nobody should be refused their dinner (ok, if your sporting a wife beater with a baithing suit - take a hike). Formal night attire is a SUGGESTED attire - you are in no way, shape or form bound by some ridiculous contract that says you must wear certain clothing or you will be refused dinner - and it's never gonna happen. I would not come to dinner in shorts - ever, but you know what, if someone else wants to then that redneck or hilbilly is probably just a moron - let it be. Life goes on.

My sister and her family live in FL, we live in CT - she wanted a picture of the whole family together wearing jeans, and a white collared shirt with the white background and guess what... formal night is the ONLY night to take these pictures. We have been on serveral cruises and have millions of the typical formal night pics - we wanted something different. So, on formal night we all dressed in jeans and a white button down collared shirt and took pics in front of the white backdrop. We got several compliments from other pax that were dressed in their formal night attire. As a matter of fact, several pax suggested that they were going to do it on their next cruise.

If you think for a second we're not going to take advantage of the opportunity of having the family together to take these pictures just to please your ambiance you are out of your god-for-saken mind. So, while I agree that attire suggestions should be followed, I certainly don't waste my time/energy concerning myself with what others are wearing to dinner while I'm on vacation....

I think it is more about how the mode of dress has deteriorated.

Of course one pax sees someone wearing "nice" jeans and figures "jeans are jeans" and packs their gardening jeans for their next cruise. Someone else sees a t-shirt and decides that their Budweiser t-shirt is as good as the "upscale" one some other guy had on. A woman sees another gal wearing capris and figures she has a better set of gams and that she should be able to wear shorter shorts.

And finally we end up where we are and pax wear what they would wear to their favorite diner or cook out to the MDR. And the staff, who isn't backed up by the suits who run RCI, allow anything and everything into the MDR because they are afraid of getting stiffed with their tips. They also don't want to argue with some moron in sweatpants and flip flops. If pax are dumb enough to wear that kind of getup they probably wouldn't think twice about taking a swing at whoever is manning the doors. Who needs that?

MDR=Walmart at Sea.:rolleyes:

I was refering more to the fact that the world is changing, and all of the complaining about it here will not change that fact.

Many of us are delighted in the changing world. We look back with some dread and embarrassment of what took place and look forward with hope. To get to where we are many brave people have broken rules, to those I say thanks. Some change we could do w/o but like family we can't always choose. I look to the future with hope, joy, excitement and my next cruise booked!

Dress shorts rule!

Enough people start wearing them, they will eventually become part of the dress code.

After all, a code is merely a list to show what to expect to see.

A restriction is a list of what you can't wear.

Happy cruising!

I'd like to see someone wearing a nice pair of dress shorts to dinner rather than when someone wears a mini skirt so short you can see everything. I own a couple of not cheap short suits. With pearl buttons on the top. I have gone to business meetings in these suits. But I can't wear them on casual nights in the mdr. People have to get over what other people are wearing. If you care more about what they are wearing than the wonderful food and conversation then imho you are thinking about the wrong things and will never be happy on a cruise. Maybe they should book a cruise on a line that most people will dress to the nines every night because that's what they want from their cruise. Just MHO. Lynda

ITA - and I seriously wonder whether some of these clods who feel it's perfectly fine to be disrespectful to their host and fellow guests by ignoring dress restrictions would show up in shorts at a fancy dinner party hosted by their boss. They think it's fine to dress however they want because other diners don't say anything to them - well, that's only because most of us have to much class to comment.

And what exactly would you say?

Most posters say they wouldn't notice, and the staff apparently don't care.

So I can be the gorilla in the elevator bank.

Archived