Deposit - Third Person?

When booking a cruise, is the deposit only required for the first and second person (in a regular D1 balcony cabin with sofa bed), or does the third person need to pay a deposit as well?

A little bit of background info - booked as a group booking through a travel agent and we noticed she only charged the amount of 2 deposits on our credit card rather than 3. We don't have a confirmation or anything on paper (or a booking number to check online) to ensure she booked all 3 of us, and when we asked for one, she said "it's a group booking - things are done differently", however that was prior to our noticing the low deposit that was taken off. I thought maybe because the room can be booked with only 2 people (as the price is based on double occupancy), there is no third person deposit? I just thought I'd ask the experts here before calling her and potentially paying more than we have to at this point.

Thanks! :)

When booking a cruise, is the deposit only required for the first and second person (in a regular D1 balcony cabin with sofa bed), or does the third person need to pay a deposit as well?

A little bit of background info - booked as a group booking through a travel agent and we noticed she only charged the amount of 2 deposits on our credit card rather than 3. We don't have a confirmation or anything on paper (or a booking number to check online) to ensure she booked all 3 of us, and when we asked for one, she said "it's a group booking - things are done differently", however that was prior to our noticing the low deposit that was taken off. I thought maybe because the room can be booked with only 2 people (as the price is based on double occupancy), there is no third person deposit? I just thought I'd ask the experts here before calling her and potentially paying more than we have to at this point.

Thanks! :)

you should still have your own booking number regardless. Insist that you have it.

Thanks everyone!

We were trying to avoid further confrontation after our last encounter asking for a booking number, but I WOULD like the number so we can at least get online and make sure everything is there, check out excursions, etc. I guess we'll call and just verify the deposit (thanks for the info re: the $500/cabin - that's what we were charged, very helpful!), and then we'll have an excuse to ask for the reservation number again! :rolleyes:

In a group booking the deposit is per cabin ($500 for a 7 day cruise) and not per person

We booked a group 7 day cruise back in May for about 20+ family members for next May. My family is booked in an inside quad and we were required to pay the $250ea for all 4 of us totalling $1000.00. Others in our group with 3rds and 4ths were also required to pay deposits for each person, not just for the cabin. Was that not correct? Not that it matters now, but was just curious.

When part of a group booking, a triple/quad cabin only has to pay $500 deposit.

There is no reason why the TA can not email you the guest copy of the confirmation. You have the right to view your confirmation, so you can check the spelling of names and verify the price. Insist on getting your copy. The TA can easily request your copy from RCI by a simple click on the computer. I'm surprised she/he wouldn't send you a copy, so you can verify the correct spelling. Remember it must match your passport.

We booked a group 7 day cruise back in May for about 20+ family members for next May. My family is booked in an inside quad and we were required to pay the $250ea for all 4 of us totalling $1000.00. Others in our group with 3rds and 4ths were also required to pay deposits for each person, not just for the cabin. Was that not correct? Not that it matters now, but was just curious.

A group consists of 8 cabins or more, and has to be booked with the group reservations department, looks to me like there is a group of you who all booked individual bookings

Thanks for the replies.We'll try to call the TA on Monday. We haven't really been impressed by her services and would much rather book directly with RCI, but had to go this route due to the group. *sigh*

Our cruise isn't until the beginning of February. Her original excuse was that the deposits weren't due yet, so no booking number (makes sense - it wasn't booked yet!) Now that the deposit has been put through though, we'd really like to see it on paper.

I'll keep you all posted though! :)

There are two different types of groups. One of friends and family that you organize with your travel agent and Two a travel agency group where the travel agent reserved a block of rooms for a group. In the event it is a travel agency group sometimes things are delayed because the agency is juggling booking trying to make the minimum group requirements that allow them to offer bonuses like OBC and free gifts!:)

We booked a family group (four cabins and 11 people). Each cabin has a booking number and we also have a group booking number. We only had one cabin with a 3rd and 4th person and I paid deposit on them. However, the depost was equal to their fare so I didn't have anything owing on the final for them. We had are booking number as soon as the deposit was made.

If you call RCCL ask for the group department right away. Every time I called they play 20 questions and I always end up with the group department.

Will RCCL even talk to us having booked through a travel agent?

The agent had blocked a bunch of rooms for our group and any others that wanted to book with her, I believe. It's a business group, although many employees are bringing along family and/or friends.

We'll get on it on Monday and I'll keep you all posted! :) Thanks!

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity require $500 per room deposits on groups (7 nights long). Now, if the room is initially booked & deposited in individual reservations (i.e. a quad room wasn't being held in the group space) and then transferred into the group, RCCL would require the full $250pp deposit in individual reservations and would not refund any deposit once moved into the group space (however, you still have the full payment credited to the booking and it reduces the amount due at final payment).

I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies and post an update!

We talked to the TA today to verify - she said in groups the deposit is per room, hence only being $500. We also managed to get our booking number. Just one other question though. When I used it to go online and look at the reservation, for MTD reservations, excursions, etc, it says that we must make a payment before we can book those things. Do we really need to make another payment to do that, or is it because it's still about 5 months out?

Archived